Next move is? | The Boneyard

Next move is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Bball schools splitting off? I can't imagine them being ok with playing Tulane, UH, UCF, or SMU.

So what are odds they leave very soon?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Bball schools splitting off? I can't imagine them being ok with playing Tulane, UH, UCF, or SMU.

Didn't they vote to have all these schools in?

If they do split off, we need to split off with them. Be an associate member of the BE for football only, like ECU.

Reaction Score
another question: if the b-ball schools leave, should we join them and give up on football?

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
another question: if the b-ball schools leave, should we join them and give up on football?
Seriously? We used to play In D-1AA if we didn't give it up then why would we know?

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn can "give up" football or go back to FCS. I'd be all for playing with the football schools in football only and the basketball schools for all else. It's the same thing Boise and SDSU were looking to do. I think it's UConn's only chance to stay relevant in anything.

Reaction Score

Vote along with them to dissolve the conference.
Put together an Eastern League that would make for good basketball, using schools that also play I-A football:

Current NNNNNBE members:
UConn
Temple
Cincinatti
USF
UCF
Memphis (ugh, I know, but the league would be rough for football anyway)

Bring in UMass

Then offer Charlotte and ODU FBS upgrades spots (would like that better than Tulane).

That gives a 9 team somewhat regional conference. If UConn is going to be stuck in a second-tier league, at least let it make some geographic sense...

Reaction Score
Vote along with them to dissolve the conference.
Put together an Eastern League that would make for good basketball, using schools that also play I-A football:

Current NNNNNBE members:
UConn
Temple
Cincinatti
USF
UCF
Memphis (ugh, I know, but the league would be rough for football anyway)

Bring in UMass

Then offer Charlotte and ODU FBS upgrades spots (would like that better than Tulane).

That gives a 9 team somewhat regional conference. If UConn is going to be stuck in a second-tier league, at least let it make some geographic sense...
This is absolutely not the direction we should be heading. Where did you come from?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
First move. Beat Cinci.
Second move. Win bowl game.

Third move. Fire PP, and break the bank. Arkansas tried to lure Les Miles away yesterday. Think big, bring in a coach from a big school at huge money. Somebody who instantly makes you say...whoa? Somebody who brings in 4-5 star recruits even in Storrs.

Fourth move. Consider going independent. Look who is independent. ND, BYU, teams that matter. It sends a signal that we think ourselves above merely ordinary.

Fifth move. Beat the ever loving snot out of everyone at everything. Win the Capital One cup or whatever it is called.

Sixth move. Accept B1G invitation, while rejecting the ACC's offer.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Only logical move is to create a separate BE FB conference a la 1991. Trim the all sports BE back to the traditional schools.plus those actually in the east.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
First move. Beat Cinci.
Second move. Win bowl game.

Third move. Fire PP, and break the bank. Arkansas tried to lure Les Miles away yesterday. Think big, bring in a coach from a big school at huge money. Somebody who instantly makes you say...whoa? Somebody who brings in 4-5 star recruits even in Storrs.

Fourth move. Consider going independent. Look who is independent. ND, BYU, teams that matter. It sends a signal that we think ourselves above merely ordinary.

Fifth move. Beat the ever loving snot out of everyone at everything. Win the Capital One cup or whatever it is called.

Sixth move. Accept B1G invitation, while rejecting the ACC's offer.

Where is this magical money tree found? The BE will be lucky to get 1 million a team in their TV deal with god knows who

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Where is this magical money tree found? The BE will be lucky to get 1 million a team in their TV deal with god knows who

It'll come from my wallet after I win powerball tonight!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

B1G pays plenty. It's an investment in a future revenue stream.

Reaction Score
I keep thinking back to that 60minutes piece of Michigan and college football. Seriously, I do not see how UConn, while playing in this new big east, can continue to support the program without cuting almost all its olympic sports. It will become way to expensive and simply not worth it.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
B1G pays plenty. It's an investment in a future revenue stream.

If the ACC found us undesirable I can't see the B1G having ANY interest at all

Reaction Score
I say we tell all those stupid big conferences which care more about money than academics to stick it, and then join the Ivey League. Such a move would certainly make geographic sense, and we could become the next squash dynasty!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

The ACC move was inspired in part by hate of nothern Yankees. The B1G has the opposite culture. And if we hired Les Miles, and proceeded to blow out everyone and pack our newly expanded stadium....they wouldn't be interested?

Reaction Score

The ACC also found Rutgers undesirable last year. Just sayin...

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
The ACC also found Rutgers undesirable last year. Just sayin...

I guess I am just so turned off by the whole thing that having any positive boorish not possible. I went from being hesitant to feeling strongly positive to waking up to this $'"t this morning. I can't do this right now. I can't even focus at work!

Reaction Score
In the short term we have few options and funding issues. Each option requires increased state funding at the worst time. And following both paths is just not feasible. Shoot, keeping current levels of state funding let alone increase might not be feasible. But let's imagine that the state will rally around herbst.

the Ville route: throw silly money into athletic infrastructure, coaching salaries and recruiting. Double the salary of one of the best coaches out there and challenge him to build our program. Increase the rent to 70000. sell ourselves as a serious football school.

the best route: double down on funding to continue the uconn 2000 program, increase enrollment and expand research capabilities. Remake the campus. Find the best possible home for our Olympic sports, even if it means going Indy for football. Polish up the academic image and then hope. Worst case scenario, in the end you have a greater university but one not known for big-time athletics.

Reaction Score
The real option moving forward right now, is the process of researching and determining whether or not we're better off as a football independant, or as a Big East conference member. I'm sure there is a local based sports network that has recently moved to CT, that wouldn't mind discussing having media rights to uconn football games. Same network that the devil, I mean Notre Dame, is aligned with.

My gut tells me that media negotations we're probably going well, until Delaney effectively torpedoed not one, but two conferences. Now, not so sure.

Reaction Score

Give up on football? Uh - no.

An ideal situation right now, is a b-ball split with us remaining in the B-ball league, and retaining the big east tourney in MSG proceeds, and then exploring the options of going forward with scheduling and media rights in football as an independant, and filling our football schedule with the regional schools, that will generate interest, viewership and ticket sales.

Reaction Score
The ACC move was inspired in part by hate of nothern Yankees. The B1G has the opposite culture. And if we hired Les Miles, and proceeded to blow out everyone and pack our newly expanded stadium....they wouldn't be interested?
If wr hired Les Miles? Are you serious we just hired Paul Pasqualoni. A guy with too many miles. Les Miles? Les Miles? Ugh!

Herbst = fail right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104