Next Morning Thoughts | The Boneyard

Next Morning Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gibbs - I have been a supporter since day 1. Kid can play and deserved a bit more leeway from many here but last night as I was watching I realized he played too many minutes. If he's not shooting the ball and getting open looks, not sure how long he can be out there. His defense has improved but isn't enough to warrant the time. He can't take his guy all that often and when he does he rarely finishes around the rim. I mean Adams needed more time with him, or more of his time.

Miller - Tough kid, mixed it up despite once again getting 2 fouls called which were awful at best. Needs to stay on the court and needs to see the ball more than he does as always. Our one constant and made some great deflections on defense overplaying his man. Gets screwed more than anyone by the stripes, don't get it.

DHam - 2-11 is all you need to know. Can't make shots and it's killer. Went through a phase in the 1st half right after they came all the way back to tie it at 20 where it was mistake after awful decision which led them to run outs and a lead at halftime. Really needs to make shots and he needs to quite drifting on defense, how many times can his guy be wide open for big 3's in games?

Calhoun - While at times I wonder why he's still in the game when he doesn't shoot it, he then makes some kind of play - rebound or pull up jumper. If anything maybe he should have seen a few of Gibbs minutes with Jalen in the game. He also is a liability on defense although he has improved, he can't stay on man with a good wing for long.

Brimah - Not enough, anyone thinking otherwise, well those are the guys calling everyone out that disagrees. Got beat on defense much more than many would care to admit, both in a decision manner and straight on man. His 6 rebounds are a good thing although when needed in the scrum no can do. Got pushed around rather easy by their physical guys and on offense couldn't get a clean look minus the one jumper. Needs some consistency can't throw this one up in 20 minutes, and can't commit stupid fouls.

Adams - just needs to play period. Mistakes, freshman overreactions don't matter let him play through it all. He is the sole reason we had any chance in this game and they could not guard him. Makes things happen. Missed that early lay in on a nice pass from DHam but just kept playing. Still makes those Wtf plays like the spin bounce pass on the 2 on 1 but the kid is a stud and will only get better. He's our chance to make any run, need it in his hands and throw the dice.

Purvis - Love the kid, but make a lay up please. Never thinking of making, just thinking of the best way to be sure it's not blocked. Well he's succeeded in the not blocked thing, but even better at the not putting 2 on the board or at least creating a foul. Made some big shots again but also made a couple defensive errors. One actually after an easy lay in was missed he jogged back after, they there it out and ended with an open 3 which they made. If he misses and gets back either that pass doesn't get to the wing on his side or altho every least he guards the guy instead of wide open. Hate to say once in a while he take his time. Consistency from him would be wonderful also.

Facey - Just not a factor as he was hammered around and allowed it. Need to hit first and he doesn't, although as Fishy said even when he is playing well the staff seems to forget about him anyway. But he seemed to be lost when in this game, maybe because physically he couldn't handle the likes of DeBerry not sure.

Nolan - not much there this game. If there was I didn't notice and same with Steve in his couple of minutes.

Cincy - I mean they're ok, they play hard and they were home. Mick never stops working the officials, during the game, during time outs, at halftime - never stops. Not sure how that relates to the numbers but you tell me? I mean with that front line of toughies, especially DeBerry who is a fouling machine how do you only get 9 fouls in 40 minutes? Sorry but that's putrid.

Bad loss, awful start once again had a lot to do with it. 4 points 10 minutes into the game? Can't happen a bunch of missed bunnies and reckless ball care. This one could have begun a process of staying away form the 8-9 game now they need to make a run to be in it. Painful to keep watching them get beat in games they are the better team, but come out not looking that way. Way too many of those this year, not sure where that starts?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Watching Jalen go coast to coast like 3 times in the second half, burn 4 Cincy defenders, ignore Hamilton and Calhoun in the corner, and make a great layup gives me hope.

If that didn't scream "The Future!" then I am really concerned about the next two years with DHam attempting to run point guard.

Reaction Score
How do you come out flat in that situation? Chance to put a stake in Cincy's heart and they come out like its Texas Southern.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Miller hasn't been getting the benefit of anyone's doubt out there, but he's still making some of the same mistakes on his fouls. He's got his arms coming down on guys instead of keeping them up and using his strong frame. When he gets in foul trouble we're in a deep hole.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Next year will be worse.

Exit Gibbs, Shonn, Omar and "PHILLLL!!!". Maybe Purv(?)

Enter new dudes.

Reaction Score
Big bulky guys that can clear glass, we don't have them this year, what about next? We have somewhat skilled perimeter players and if they are not making shots we are sunk. Offensive glass our story is one and done.

Reaction Score
Gibbs - I have been a supporter since day 1. Kid can play and deserved a bit more leeway from many here but last night as I was watching I realized he played too many minutes. If he's not shooting the ball and getting open looks, not sure how long he can be out there. His defense has improved but isn't enough to warrant the time. He can't take his guy all that often and when he does he rarely finishes around the rim. I mean Adams needed more time with him, or more of his time.

Miller - Tough kid, mixed it up despite once again getting 2 fouls called which were awful at best. Needs to stay on the court and needs to see the ball more than he does as always. Our one constant and made some great deflections on defense overplaying his man. Gets screwed more than anyone by the stripes, don't get it.

DHam - 2-11 is all you need to know. Can't make shots and it's killer. Went through a phase in the 1st half right after they came all the way back to tie it at 20 where it was mistake after awful decision which led them to run outs and a lead at halftime. Really needs to make shots and he needs to quite drifting on defense, how many times can his guy be wide open for big 3's in games?

Calhoun - While at times I wonder why he's still in the game when he doesn't shoot it, he then makes some kind of play - rebound or pull up jumper. If anything maybe he should have seen a few of Gibbs minutes with Jalen in the game. He also is a liability on defense although he has improved, he can't stay on man with a good wing for long.

Brimah - Not enough, anyone thinking otherwise, well those are the guys calling everyone out that disagrees. Got beat on defense much more than many would care to admit, both in a decision manner and straight on man. His 6 rebounds are a good thing although when needed in the scrum no can do. Got pushed around rather easy by their physical guys and on offense couldn't get a clean look minus the one jumper. Needs some consistency can't throw this one up in 20 minutes, and can't commit stupid fouls.

Adams - just needs to play period. Mistakes, freshman overreactions don't matter let him play through it all. He is the sole reason we had any chance in this game and they could not guard him. Makes things happen. Missed that early lay in on a nice pass from DHam but just kept playing. Still makes those plays like the spin bounce pass on the 2 on 1 but the kid is a stud and will only get better. He's our chance to make any run, need it in his hands and throw the dice.

Purvis - Love the kid, but make a lay up please. Never thinking of making, just thinking of the best way to be sure it's not blocked. Well he's succeeded in the not blocked thing, but even better at the not putting 2 on the board or at least creating a foul. Made some big shots again but also made a couple defensive errors. One actually after an easy lay in was missed he jogged back after, they there it out and ended with an open 3 which they made. If he misses and gets back either that pass doesn't get to the wing on his side or altho every least he guards the guy instead of wide open. Hate to say once in a while he take his time. Consistency from him would be wonderful also.

Facey - Just not a factor as he was hammered around and allowed it. Need to hit first and he doesn't, although as Fishy said even when he is playing well the staff seems to forget about him anyway. But he seemed to be lost when in this game, maybe because physically he couldn't handle the likes of DeBerry not sure.

Nolan - not much there this game. If there was I didn't notice and same with Steve in his couple of minutes.

Cincy - I mean they're ok, they play hard and they were home. Mick never stops working the officials, during the game, during time outs, at halftime - never stops. Not sure how that relates to the numbers but you tell me? I mean with that front line of toughies, especially DeBerry who is a fouling machine how do you only get 9 fouls in 40 minutes? Sorry but that's putrid.

Bad loss, awful start once again had a lot to do with it. 4 points 10 minutes into the game? Can't happen a bunch of missed bunnies and reckless ball care. This one could have begun a process of staying away form the 8-9 game now they need to make a run to be in it. Painful to keep watching them get beat in games they are the better team, but come out not looking that way. Way too many of those this year, not sure where that starts?
Guess I don't need to watch the dvr.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't understand the "we are the better team" idea. We are as erratic as any team we've ever had. There are too many times when this team looks like a pick up team. A chunk of that falls on coaching. If wears the better team, we win. Refs may be horrible, but better teams know how to minimize that. We are not a better team. We are what we are.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the "we are the better team" idea. We are as erratic as any team we've ever had. There are too many times when this team looks like a pick up team. A chunk of that falls on coaching. If wears the better team, we win. Refs may be horrible, but better teams know how to minimize that. We are not a better team. We are what we are.

The better team argument probably should have gone out the window a while ago. This team is just too inconsistent to really be considered to be "better" than any of our competition in this league, bottom dwellers aside.

Reaction Score
My own thoughts. Ollie needs to tell Gibbs that Adams is running the team as point and Gibbs is fighting for minutes with Omar and Purvis for the best complementary shooter and defender on the team. My preference is Purvis. Adams is going to mistakes as he is a freshman; but, the team can live with those as he develops. DHam can't disappear anymore and needs to consistent take-over a game. This team will go as far as he can carry the Huskies. Ollie has to protect Miller better. He's UConn's best big man; but, he gets abused by the refs every game. Cry (Coach K), whine (Boehiem) or threaten (Calhoun) the refs; but, KO needs to work them more and better. I would also like to see Ollie rotate Brimah with Nolan and Facey early and often in the first half. Let Facey and Nollan absorb some of those early fouls to save Brimah for the second half because even with all of his faults, UConn needs Brimah's energy at the of these games.

Reaction Score
Next year will be worse.

Enter new dudes.

No no no no no.

Jalen and Alterique in the backcourt? That could wind up being the best backcourt in Uconn history...period.

Hamilton and Purvis aren't going anywhere unless they make some miraculous run to get to the final four.

And we will still have the big guy down low changing and swatting shots.

IMO we are much better next year.

Chemistry will be 10 times better as well. Sorry but this graduate transfer experiment has failed miserably this year.

Reaction Score

Adams - just needs to play period. Mistakes, freshman overreactions don't matter let him play through it all. He is the sole reason we had any chance in this game and they could not guard him. Makes things happen. Missed that early lay in on a nice pass from DHam but just kept playing. Still makes those plays like the spin bounce pass on the 2 on 1 but the kid is a stud and will only get better. He's our chance to make any run, need it in his hands and throw the dice.

Wow. This one made DogMania jealous.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Missed the game. They caved again?
I had to dvr it but know that our dawgs were down 8-0 before the salt was on the popcorn.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This is more a collection of players than it is a coherent team. Purvis gets 8-10 points in a 5 minute span and then disappears. Gibbs hits a few threes but is otherwise forgettable. The team goes to Miller to start the game and at the start of the second half and that's it for offensive plays run through him. Adams is on/off. Phil, Omar and Kentan combine for almost nothing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is more a collection of players than it is a coherent team.
Yep, and with a shockingly low collective basketball IQ.

That was basically the thought behind my Young Frankenstein thread. The team is a patchwork experiment. Sometimes it can dance, but when its true colors come out it is a misdirected, lumbering monster.

Reaction Score
Next year will be worse.

Enter new dudes.
Next year will be better, I'm salivating over the Alterique and Jalen backcourt. Hamilton will be better and will be playing on the wing where he should be. I expect Enoch to be way more ready, it will be nice to have a power forward who actually won't get muscled around. Brimah with a full summer of health to improve his game also excites me. Next year will have more defined positions and we will really have a chance to be good. Not giving up on this year though, we will get in the tourny and with the college basketball landscape we could do a little damage with a good draw.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Nice post Mau.

Unrelated but your section on Brimah got me thinking on something I noticed. Brimah's long and slenderman like frame make him a major target to the ref's eyes. When on offense and Brimah catches a dump off or gets an offensive rebound, he is swarmed by defenders who are slapping at his exposed arms and wrists, which with his incredibly long frame is a very large target. Brimah is probably fouled roughly 65% of the time when battling with the ball under the basket, yet the refs NEVER CALL BRIMAH'S DEFENDER for a foul.

Conversely when on defense, these same long arms and hands become the same target to the refs yet I have noticed Brimah will get whistled for a shooting foul against a defender over 50% of relevant situation, and when he goes for blocks where his man beats him to the rim but AB gets a clean block from behind by pure timing and size, he will almost inevitably be whisted for the foul. It's almost like the refs are anticipating/assuming he must have fouled the defender due to his size, or lack of a clear view (backboard is in the way).

I don't get it, the refs need to at least be consistent with these types of fouls, Cinci was mauling our guys down low all night yesterday. Deberry was jumping over the back of Brimah all damn game long and moving Brimah 4-5 feet out of position in a matter of seconds yet our bigs were called off the ball for touch fouls all night. /rant

Reaction Score
No no no no no.

Jalen and Alterique in the backcourt? That could wind up being the best backcourt in Uconn history...period.

Hamilton and Purvis aren't going anywhere unless they make some miraculous run to get to the final four.

And we will still have the big guy down low changing and swatting shots.

IMO we are much better next year.

Chemistry will be 10 times better as well. Sorry but this graduate transfer experiment has failed miserably this year.

We're going to miss Miller, butI always thought the "this is the year" thoughts were a year too early. We've got Brimah, Hamilton, and Jalen next year..a year older..and that's going to be a trio that'll be tough to beat. They're just too young/not developed enough right now. (And we'll probably have Purvis too, but he's not as important.)

Don't forget, those down on Hamilton..Kemba was not good his sophomore year either. Hamilton has a TON of talent. He's being asked to do a lot. He doesn't have the best support around him, and he might not be mentally ready to take the mantel as "best player/leader.." (and he might not ever be ready to take on the role as leader, but Jalen will be.)

I wish we had gotten a win last night, especially with Jalen playing like he was..but we aren't out of the tournament with that loss, we just need to do our jobs for the rest of the year..and see if this young team can make a bit of noise in the tournament.

And I'm more positive than negative, simply because Jalen Adams is going to be an amazing player for us..we're just getting a taste of it. The kid could end up as the best point guard we've ever had. (And my god he's an ACTUAL point guard, not a midget shooting guard.) Everything else seems irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Cronin's the one who had an aneurism but is willing to scram at the refs and stand up for his team. Our coaches? They look like a bunch of monks undergoing a vow of silence. This team lacks leadership. If you do not get it from the players, the coaches must provide it. Big leadership vacuum here.

Reaction Score

Miller:
Again we have a small forward playing power forward and sometimes we ask too much of him. He can't be expected to move 260 lb. forwards out of the way. It worked for us in our last NCC with Daniels playing the position but we shouldn't be surprised when we get out rebounded. I love the way Miller finishes on the offensive end where he can use his quickness ,shot varieity and moves inventory against bigger and slower forwards. He will be difficult to replace next year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Miller:
Again we have a small forward playing power forward and sometimes we ask too much of him. He can't be expected to move 260 lb. forwards out of the way. It worked for us in our last NCC with Daniels playing the position but we shouldn't be surprised when we get out rebounded. I love the way Miller finishes on the offensive end where he can use his quickness ,shot varieity and moves inventory against bigger and slower forwards. He will be difficult to replace next year.
We got hammered on the boards from November 2012 until present day. We rebounded well in March/April 2014. A good part of that is undersized 4's and a good chunk of our offense being long 3's with no time on the shot clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom