Next: Memphis | The Boneyard

Next: Memphis

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Here’s the team that hopes to spring the season’s biggest upset:
0CA3942A-D227-4569-A591-49DE499E22FD.jpeg

Reaction Score
Hard to imagine any upset from league play. UCONN uses these games to get better at the details, and to build experience for the bench players. It would be great, however, if each game were a challenge....a threat. But, I can't conceive such.

Reaction Score
For shame : If you don't respect your opponents; one day you shall regret your sin of pride.1!!
If you will NOTE a significant number of players from TENN and TENN is a power house of talent (Danger??)
Also, with due respect I point out that ONE of their players comes from CANADA, and we knew what KIA is like!
Respect--

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Biggest upset!!! The equivalent of 10.0 on the Richter scale

True, of course. But such things do happen. We (fortunately) haven’t seen a repeat of Krakatoa, but that doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen. ;-)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
True, of course. But such things do happen. We (fortunately) haven’t seen a repeat of Krakatoa, but that doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen. ;-)

The last AAC team to really give UConn a scare was on Feb 18, 2017 @ Tulane. They gave UConn all they wanted. The Green Wave outscored UConn by 7 in the second half 42 - 35. UConn held on to win 63-60, and I mean held on. If the game had gone another 2-3 minutes, UConn may have lost.

Tulane was firmly seated in the saddle riding a spunky thoroughbred late in the game named "Momentum". UConn had to go to the whip in the home stretch to win this one. No one saw this one coming, not even during the morning shoot-around. This game definitely got the player's and coach's attention. Tulane played it fast and loose. They were not favored, and had nothing to lose.

Some how I don't think history will repeat itself this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Geno told the team managers to make sure and pack a LARGE can of "Whoop Ass" when they pack the team's equipment for that particular road trip. :cool:

A quick peek at their schedule shows us they won their first game against Tenn St. in OT, then lost 8 straight including a 31 point loss to #9 Ohio St., the only top 25 team on their OOC schedule. They're riding a 4 game win streak. They begin conference play with a 5-8 record.

Respect ALL of your opponents, fear none. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I'm disappointed that in its 5th year of existence, AAC women's basketball hasn't really improved as a conference beyond UConn's greatness. While UConn is 7-0 vs P5 conference opponents and 6-0 vs ranked teams, the rest of the conference is 5-25 vs P5 conference opponents with zero wins vs ranked teams. Even perennial #2 USF has been unable to secure a signature win vs a ranked opponent. Long term, it would be much better for UConn if the AAC was a tougher basketball conference.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The last AAC team to really give UConn a scare was on Feb 18, 2017 @ Tulane. They gave UConn all they wanted. The Green Wave outscored UConn by 7 in the second half 42 - 35. UConn held on to win 63-60, and I mean held on. If the game had gone another 2-3 minutes, UConn may have lost.

Tulane was riding a spunky thoroughbred late in the game named "momentum". UConn had to go to the whip in the home stretch to win this one. No one saw this one coming. This game definitely got the player's and coach's attention. Some how I don't think history will repeat itself this year.

A quick peek at their schedule shows us they won their first game against Tenn St. in OT, then lost 8 straight including a 31 point lost to #9 Ohio St., the only top 25 team they played in OOC play. They're riding a 4 game win streak. They begin conference play with a 5-8 record.

Respect ALL of your opponents, fear none. :rolleyes:
It was almost the perfect storm against Tulane--Kia was out for her first game with the injury, Lou and Gabby had bad games, Crystal was still young, and Pheesa--who was playing great--was in foul trouble. As usual, for UConn to lose or nearly lose, there are extenuating circumstances. This year's team has more depth, though not as much as some of us expected.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Memphis averages 60 points per game, 20 turnovers per game, and 4 threes per game. Hmmm.

Their leading scorers, and only two in double figures, are 6' 1" Creighton, 15.5, and 5'9" Elmore, 13.0. I think they will be seeing a lot of Connecticut #15 and #11, respectively.

If this is the score prognosticator thread, I have it Connecticut 100-44.

For Memphis, a (belated) Blue Christmas from Graceland.

Elvis.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I'm disappointed that in its 5th year of existence, AAC women's basketball hasn't really improved as a conference beyond UConn's greatness. While UConn is 7-0 vs P5 conference opponents and 6-0 vs ranked teams, the rest of the conference is 5-25 vs P5 conference opponents with zero wins vs ranked teams. Even perennial #2 USF has been unable to secure a signature win vs a ranked opponent. Long term, it would be much better for UConn if the AAC was a tougher basketball conference.
I didn't realize that the rest of the conference was still faring so poorly. I though the American had taken several small steps in the right direction. USF is a dangerous team, and Tulane is decent, at least until Kolby Morgan leaves. Temple and UCF are probably the next best.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

It's sad, but southern schools primarily focused on football don't put much emphasis on women's sports. There are a few notable exceptions among the P5 conference schools, but at the mid major level of the AAC and others, even if the will to improve women's programs existed, the resources don't.

Reaction Score
From the available on-line tickets, I'm guessing ~9000 seats sold, but I suspect a lot of season ticket holders will be out of town and others will be home watching the Patriots' game. I'm going with one of our kids. Hoping to see some of those freshmen we now disparage who will one day win a national championship.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I didn't realize that the rest of the conference was still faring so poorly. I though the American had taken several small steps in the right direction. USF is a dangerous team, and Tulane is decent, at least until Kolby Morgan leaves. Temple and UCF are probably the next best.
I thought the same, but then I took the time to look at how the rest of the AAC was faring against primarily mid to lower level P5 schools this season and that's when it became apparent that the AAC has a long way to go as a conference. Once again this year, the AAC will be lucky to get 3 teams to the Big Dance, with UConn likely the only team to advance beyond the 2nd round.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I noticed this too. I check the WCBB scores daily, and pay particular attention to see how AAC teams fared. The AAC is not making the name for itself that it could with some signature wins over P-5, and other top 50 programs as you stated. I recall the phrase that Bill Parcells made famous about records, the ones that speak for themselves. That concept goes for conferences as well. While I do expect AAC teams to up their game each year and get better, I remain cognizant of the fact that these programs CANNOT and DO NOT compete for the same players as the P5's do.

Go to the ESPN Hoopgurlz class rankings for 2017 & 2018. Notice how many of the top 100 players signed with an AAC school other than UConn & USF.
Class 2017 = 1 (Temple #87). CLass 2018 = 1 (UCF #99). UConn and USF are the only AAC schools to recruit and sign top 100 players on a regular basis.

This means the rest of the AAC schools are forced to compete with the top tier programs with lesser talent. National AA's, State players of the year, and McDonald's AA's do not have any AAC teams on their radar. Most of them are looking at top 25 schools only. So the teams outside the top 25 and your "Mid-Major" programs are forced to scratch and claw to recruit and sign the best of the rest. The mid-majors DO recruit the same players. The players that get invited to the USA training camp in Colorado in the spring are generally regarded as the best players in their age group in the country, are all looking at top 25 programs. The distribution of talent among the top 10 schools is fairly even if viewed over the course of 3-5 years. I'm very happy to see Houston off to a 10-3 start this year. They've been cellar dwellers the last two seasons.

Given this uneven playing field the "have nots" are forced to play on, it's no wonder why teams outside the top 25 have a difficult time of beating ranked schools in any given year. They just don't have the talent. Baylor, UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville, Maryland, Ohio State, Duke, Kentucky, Florida State, Stanford, Texas, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Oregon, Oregon St., UCLA, Syracuse, Tennessee, Cal, Michigan, Michigan St., Auburn, Iowa St., Georgia Tech, Mississippi St., USCw, Vanderbilt These schools all compete for the same "Blue Chip" players that are ranked at the top of their class each year. The top 10 ranked players in 2018 ALL went to one of these schools. A lot of the bottom 50 ranked players for 2018 also went to P5 programs. The BIG boys are sucking up all the best talent. :confused:

A replay of a game you may be interested in viewing. BOTH are on our remaining schedule - #4 South Carolina vs. Temple (W Basketball)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
From the available on-line tickets, I'm guessing ~9000 seats sold, but I suspect a lot of season ticket holders will be out of town and others will be home watching the Patriots' game. I'm going with one of our kids. Hoping to see some of those freshmen we now disparage who will one day win a national championship.

All things in due time Bags. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I noticed this too. I check the WCBB scores daily, and pay particular attention to see how AAC teams fared. The AAC is not making the name for itself that it could with some signature wins over P-5, and other top 50 programs as you stated. I recall the phrase that Bill Parcells made famous about records, the ones that speak for themselves. That concept goes for conferences as well. While I do expect AAC teams to up their game each year and get better, I remain cognizant of the fact that these programs CANNOT and DO NOT compete for the same players as the P5's do.

Go to the ESPN Hoopgurlz class rankings for 2017 & 2018. Notice how many of the top 100 players signed with an AAC school other than UConn & USF.
Class 2017 = 1 (Temple #87). CLass 2018 = 1 (UCF #99). UConn and USF are the only AAC schools to recruit top 100 players on a regular basis.

This means these AAC programs are forced to compete with the top tier programs with lesser talent. National AA's, State players of the year, and McDonald's AA's do not have any AAC teams on their radar. Most of them are looking at top 25 schools only. So the teams outside the top 25 and your "Mid-Major" programs are forced to scratch and claw to recruit and sign the best of the rest. The mid-majors DO recruit the same players. The players that get invited to the USA training camp in Colorado in the spring are all looking at top 25 programs. The distribution of talent among the top 10 schools is fairly even if viewed over the course of 3-5 years.

Given this uneven playing field the "have nots" are forced to play on, it's no wonder why teams outside the top 25 have a difficult time of beating ranked schools in any given year. They just don't have the talent. Baylor, UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville, Maryland, Ohio State, Duke, Kentucky, Florida State, Stanford, Texas, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Oregon, Oregon St., UCLA, Syracuse, Tennessee, Cal, Michigan, Michigan St., Auburn, Iowa St., Georgia Tech, Mississippi St., USCw, Vanderbilt These schools all compete for the same "Blue Chip" players that are ranked at the top of their class each year. The top 10 ranked players in 2018 ALL went to one of these schools. A lot of the bottom 50 ranked players for 2018 also went to P5 programs. The BIG boys are sucking up all the best talent. :confused:

A replay of a game you may be interested in viewing. BOTH are on our remaining schedule - #4 South Carolina vs. Temple (W Basketball)
Well stated. Perhaps what the AAC needs is more coaches like Jose Fernandez who speak multiple languages and can recruit top talent from overseas. Of course there's the little Italian guy in Storrs, but he stopped trying to speak Russian after Sveta....;)

Reaction Score

Class 2017 = 1 (Temple #87). CLass 2018 = 1 (UCF #99). UConn and USF are the only AAC schools to recruit top 100 players on a regular basis.

This means these AAC programs are forced to compete with the top tier programs with lesser talent. National AA's, State players of the year, and McDonald's AA's do not have any AAC teams on their radar. Most of them are looking at top 25 schools only. So the teams outside the top 25 and your "Mid-Major" programs are forced to scratch and claw to recruit and sign the best of the rest. The mid-majors DO recruit the same players. The players that get invited to the USA training camp in Colorado in the spring are all looking at top 25 programs. The distribution of talent among the top 10 schools is fairly even if viewed over the course of 3-5 years.

A replay of a game you may be interested in viewing. BOTH are on our remaining schedule - #4 South Carolina vs. Temple (W Basketball)[/QUOTE
I don't think WCBB should hand their heads and say--we aren't top 25 so we won't recruit well
Maybe ---with the speed of communications the odds of a Geno Uconn arising (think his first 10 years, not now) may be less, but I believe if a Geno can do it others can. Maybe Jesus is a singular, as some may think, but didn't Budda came first. Point of this is: While some schools rise others drop--akin to what goes around come around . Where is that Women's Champion on the road to Paoli Pa Saint something???

Reaction Score

You should write to the Conference "Director " and suggest Geno spend his summer doing seminars on coaching--with side conferences on how to fund excellence.

Reaction Score

So here's something interesting. Your link brought me to a much better ESPN3 player with what seems like HD quality video.

Here is the normal link I use: Streaming Online - WatchESPN

Thanks for this! I love your link-in! Will now be my permanent way in to ESPN3!

Posting this in case this helps any other BYer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom