Next Man Up - Butch Jones out @ Tennessee | The Boneyard

Next Man Up - Butch Jones out @ Tennessee

Reaction Score
Bob+Diaco+LHBgyzlESYmm.jpg

Reaction Score
Would Chad Morris ever leave SMU for a bigger job? He's done a really good job building SMU's program.

OR Mike Norvell.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Would Chad Morris ever leave SMU for a bigger job? He's done a really good job building SMU's program.

OR Mike Norvell.
In a second either one of them would go to Tennessee.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They have one option. Give Les Miles whatever he wants. No other coach is walking into the SEC with enough credibility to avoid the same fate as Jones. That includes Gruden. The SEC is a different planet in terms of credibility with recruits because right now top players would pick Bama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Florida, A&M or leave for another conference before committing to Tennessee regardless of who they hire. Only Les can go in and steal guys from the top programs which is what Tennessee needs to ever compete for a division title.

Every other hot coach in any other conference, and every hot coordinator period, would be stupid to take that job.

Reaction Score
They have one option. Give Les Miles whatever he wants. No other coach is walking into the SEC with enough credibility to avoid the same fate as Jones. That includes Gruden. The SEC is a different planet in terms of credibility with recruits because right now top players would pick Bama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Florida, A&M or leave for another conference before committing to Tennessee regardless of who they hire. Only Les can go in and steal guys from the top programs which is what Tennessee needs to ever compete for a division title.

Every other hot coach in any other conference, and every hot coordinator period, would be stupid to take that job.

Les Miles, meh. I take your point on the competition, and the fans expectations are crazy but look at their recruiting classes. 2 top 10 classes in the past 4 years. All top 20. Go back further and the trend continues. The fact that the 10th ranked class may be 5th or 6th in the SEC point towards the competition but what they really need is a top tier coach. Landing talented players is not the issue. Tough job, of course, and most coaches can't hack it but I don't see a 67 year old retread who couldn't get looks at middling B10 programs as the answer.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Tennessee is a much better job than people are saying here. They have been a top 15 recruiting school for at least the last 6 years in a row, and they were top 5 in both 2013 and 2014. They are the only real game in their state, unlike Mississippi State or South Carolina. And they play in the SEC East, the easier of the two divisions.

I would much rather take that job than a lot of other jobs (assuming I didn't hate Tennessee which I do). Way better job than Nebraska, Arkansas, South Carolina, etc....

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Tennessee is a much better job than people are saying here. They have been a top 15 recruiting school for at least the last 6 years in a row, and they were top 5 in both 2013 and 2014. They are the only real game in their state, unlike Mississippi State or South Carolina. And they play in the SEC East, the easier of the two divisions.

I would much rather take that job than a lot of other jobs (assuming I didn't hate Tennessee which I do). Way better job than Nebraska, Arkansas, South Carolina, etc....

They always have absurd talent but don't get wins. Tennessee is definitely a good job. If Miss State can win in the SEC, anyone can

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
LOL, Tennessee is the Nebraska of the SEC. If they were getting talent under Jones then they should have gave him the opportunity to coach it because nothing helps retained high level recruits at an underperforming program like firing the coach.

Tennessee has no natural recruiting area, just like Nebraska. They are way down the list on preferred schools in 2017. If they didn't think Butch was the guy that is fine but, they are taking a step backwards.

Reaction Score

He is right in telling the recruit that. The new early signing period is going to change recruiting as spots will fill in December. Also, will coaches be fired or leave schools earlier than in a the past? And, who would sign with a school in December if the coach is bolting in a couple of weeks due to an attractive opening?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
LOL, Tennessee is the Nebraska of the SEC. If they were getting talent under Jones then they should have gave him the opportunity to coach it because nothing helps retained high level recruits at an underperforming program like firing the coach.

Tennessee has no natural recruiting area, just like Nebraska. They are way down the list on preferred schools in 2017. If they didn't think Butch was the guy that is fine but, they are taking a step backwards.

Go check the recruiting sites. You're just wrong...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Just from the state of Tennessee alone, the Vols have three 4-star players and three 3-star players so far for 2018. Those six players include (Rivals ratings):

1) the #3 DE in the country
2) the #13 DT in the country
3) the #22 TE in the country
4) the #19 DT in the country

And again, that's just the state of TN kids. But you know..."no natural recruiting area"...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom