Newtown Aftermath: Bulletproof backpacks for kids | The Boneyard

Newtown Aftermath: Bulletproof backpacks for kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't even know what to say. We are not at war in this country (i.e. invasion) yet the threat of gun violence is leading to an recent increase in gun sales and now parents buying armored backpacks. I might can grasp the purchases in Chicago, South Central LA, and gang infested communities maybe, but rural America??

I have no idea what this country will look like in 10-20 years. A paranoid nation perhaps?

Hate to say but the days of innocence are never to return. Linky

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't even know what to say. We are not at war in this country (i.e. invasion) yet the threat of gun violence is leading to an recent increase in gun sales and now parents buying armored backpacks. I might can grasp the purchases in Chicago, South Central LA, and gang infested communities maybe, but rural America??

I have no idea what this country will look like in 10-20 years. A paranoid nation perhaps?

Hate to say but the days of innocence are never to return. Linky
I remember drills of going under my desk and holding my head down. Cold war drills. In case we were nuked. I was one dumb *ucker. I thought that desk would protect me. I stayed real skinny all through grade school making sure every body part was under the desk. Most of us kids were semi anorexic.

Fear and anger: two strongest emotions. Rational thinking gets put on the back burner when they rear their ugly faces.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, kids keep their backpacks in their lockers and don't keep them with them 24/7.....The gun nuts are already saying to arm all teachers to prevent future mass shootings....Why stop there, how about arming the kids too?? (I am a conservative by the way) I support a police officer in the lobby of each school to greet any visitors who buzz and an assault weapons ban. The 2nd Amendment protects the right of law abiding citizens to bear arms, but it's Congress' job to decide on which arms are allowed. This is not a Constitutional question but one of public safety. To me the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is of utmost importance.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, kids keep their backpacks in their lockers and don't keep them with them 24/7.....The gun nuts are already saying to arm all teachers to prevent future mass shootings....Why stop there, how about arming the kids too?? (I am a conservative by the way) I support a police officer in the lobby of each school to greet any visitors who buzz and an assault weapons ban. The 2nd Amendment protects the right of law abiding citizens to bear arms, but it's Congress' job to decide on which arms are allowed. This is not a Constitutional question but one of public safety. To me the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is of utmost importance.
They have armed people at schools in SC. Some schools have really gone with a bunker mentality in securing the schools. And I'm thinking has anyone else besides myself taken one moment and considered what if one of these individuals loses it?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
They have armed people at schools in SC. Some schools have really gone with a bunker mentality in securing the schools. And I'm thinking has anyone else besides myself taken one moment and considered what if one of these individuals loses it?
I agree 100%. How many incidents have we all heard about this year of teachers hitting students? Not only are there unstable teachers but a lot of students who like to antagonize teachers and substitutes. I gaurantee that teachers shooting students would be a far more likely scenerio than a teacher stopping an attack. I guess if a teacher loses it, the teacher in the class next door is supposed to run over and off him??

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. How many incidents have we all heard about this year of teachers hitting students? Not only are there unstable teachers but a lot of students who like to antagonize teachers and substitutes. I gaurantee that teachers shooting students would be a far more likely scenerio than a teacher stopping an attack. I guess if a teacher loses it, the teacher in the class next door is supposed to run over and off him??
I had an eighth grade art teacher. She was young and might have been pretty, but no one dared to look at her so we couldn't be sure. She wielded a metal ruler and would smack kids with it if they got of line. One time she smashed the ruler into a table barely a quarter of an inch from some kids fingers. One quarter inch was all that stood between some kid getting his digits amputated. I didn't dare misbehave but for some reason she still had it in for me.

She finally went on sabbatical. Someone found out she was going through a messy divorce, husband cheated on here. I learned the guy had my name, my curly hair, eye color, and wore glasses. I didn't stand a chance.

I'm sure if she was packing I'd be underground instead of making this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom