Newsweek story on sportswriters who cover the UConn women | The Boneyard

Newsweek story on sportswriters who cover the UConn women

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Story from April 2016 written by former SI writer (and ND grad). Some here will recall that Walters was embedded with the team during the 2000-2001 season and wrote The Same River Twice (great read, btw). The sportswriters are Adamec, Fuller, DiMauro and Jacobs.

Talking to the writers who have spent decades covering UConn's Hall of Fame coach Geno Auriemma

Love the story at the end of the article:

A disclosure: This writer spent the 2000–2001 season embedded with Auriemma and the Huskies, during which time I was afforded uncommon access to the program and was warmly welcomed by the writers mentioned here. Near the end of the season, on the eve of Connecticut’s East regional final in Pittsburgh, all of us were marking time at the hotel bar. Geno and Kathy, his wife, retired to a booth for some privacy.

As a gesture of gratitude, I called over a waiter and selected a $70 bottle of red to be sent over to the Auriemma table. “Tell the man,” I said, “that it’s from the guy who has been a pain in the ass all winter.”

The waiter took my credit card and disappeared. About 15 minutes later he returned with my bill, which stated that I had purchased a $395 bottle of champagne. “The gentleman said that you were a much bigger pain in the ass than that,” said the waiter.

And then Geno and Kathy invited me over for a drink.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Courant has hired a new sportswriter to cover the UConn women. She's Kelli Stacy, editor-in-chief of the OU Daily. From Norman, OK to Storrs, CT.

Except for the Brunelle story, Mike Anthony did a pretty good job covering the team after Paul Doyle left the Courant.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Courant has hired a new sportswriter to cover the UConn women. She's Kelli Stacy, editor-in-chief of the OU Daily. From Norman, OK to Storrs, CT.

Except for the Brunelle story, Mike Anthony did a pretty good job covering the team after Paul Doyle left the Courant.
I saw that on Twitter. I switched over to following her on Twitter instead of Anthony. Can't wait for her to move out here and start. Tired of my feed getting filled up with OU tweets. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Story from April 2016 written by former SI writer (and ND grad). Some here will recall that Walters was embedded with the team during the 2000-2001 season and wrote The Same River Twice (great read, btw). The sportswriters are Adamec, Fuller, DiMauro and Jacobs.

Talking to the writers who have spent decades covering UConn's Hall of Fame coach Geno Auriemma

Love the story at the end of the article:

A disclosure: This writer spent the 2000–2001 season embedded with Auriemma and the Huskies, during which time I was afforded uncommon access to the program and was warmly welcomed by the writers mentioned here. Near the end of the season, on the eve of Connecticut’s East regional final in Pittsburgh, all of us were marking time at the hotel bar. Geno and Kathy, his wife, retired to a booth for some privacy.

As a gesture of gratitude, I called over a waiter and selected a $70 bottle of red to be sent over to the Auriemma table. “Tell the man,” I said, “that it’s from the guy who has been a pain in the ass all winter.”

The waiter took my credit card and disappeared. About 15 minutes later he returned with my bill, which stated that I had purchased a $395 bottle of champagne. “The gentleman said that you were a much bigger pain in the ass than that,” said the waiter.

And then Geno and Kathy invited me over for a drink.

Priceless. That is a funny man!!!!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I was a sports journalist for 45 years, never covering a single women's event--although I did chronicle the exploits of several superb female athletes, including Ruffian, Shuvee, Winning Colors and Lady's Secret (Secretariat's daughter)--but I've sometimes wondered what it would be like to cover UConn women's basketball.

I'd speculated, because the team is so good and Geno is so quotable, that it would be a terrific beat. The story, graciously provided by UConnCat, confirms that would be the case.

That said, (minor name drop alert ahead) I was at a function some decades ago when I ran into Robin Finn, the tennis writer for The New York Times. We were discussing venues and while I had Triple Crown destinations Louisville, Baltimore and New York on my agenda she was headed to Madrid, Rome, Paris and London, spending nearly three weeks in each spot. You have to love tennis, of course, but if you do, that's not the worst way to earn a buck, either.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I was a sports journalist for 45 years, never covering a single women's event--although I did chronicle the exploits of several superb female athletes, including Ruffian, Shuvee, Winning Colors and Lady's Secret (Secretariat's daughter)--but I've sometimes wondered what it would be like to cover UConn women's basketball.

I'd speculated, because the team is so good and Geno is so quotable, that it would be a terrific beat. The story, graciously provided by UConnCat, confirms that would be the case.

That said, (minor name drop alert ahead) I was at a function some decades ago when I ran into Robin Finn, the tennis writer for The New York Times. We were discussing venues and while I had Triple Crown destinations Louisville, Baltimore and New York on my agenda she was headed to Madrid, Rome, Paris and London, spending nearly three weeks in each spot. You have to love tennis, of course, but if you do, that's not the worst way to earn a buck, either.

It’s a sad thing that really good jobs in sports journalism are getting harder and harder to get. And compensation just hasn’t kept up.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Anthony's still covering the team. Has an article today about the Paradise Jam matchups.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Anthony's still covering the team. Has an article today about the Paradise Jam matchups.

Kelli Stacy hasn't started with the Courant yet. I think she's still out in OK.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom