Newsome got the Boyle treatment last night | The Boneyard

Newsome got the Boyle treatment last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Same cryptic announcement of a lower leg injury

Same one series of burn

Me thinks that that 'lower leg injury' is Diaco code for 'we love ya kid, and you have a bunch of talent, but the mistakes have to stop'

Reaction Score
And he should get the Boyle treatment! The message is clear, put the ball on the ground and you won't see the field. Just ask DJ Shoemate..... I still believe that if he doesn't fumble into the endzone at he end of the 1st half in the Big House, we maintain the momentum and win that game. These mental errors have to stop, period. The fact that stupid penalties by the o-line moved us from the 20 yard line to the 45 and cost us a chance at a fg last nigh is a prime example of where we just can't stop hurting ourselves continuously ........

Reaction Score
desmondconner 1:08pm via Twitter for Android
RB Newsome didn't practice this week because of lower leg injury. Was cleared to play later but didn't get time till second half. #UConn

soxanddawgs 1:08pm via Twitter Web Client
Arkeel Newsome suffered a non-football related lower leg injury and hadn't practiced. Hence one series last night #UConn

NHRJimFuller 1:09pm via TweetDeck
#UConn coach Bob Diaco said RB Arkeel Newsome is 100 percent. He missed practice last week and only played one series

Reaction Score
And he should get the Boyle treatment! The message is clear, put the ball on the ground and you won't see the field. Just ask DJ Shoemate..... I still believe that if he doesn't fumble into the endzone at he end of the 1st half in the Big House, we maintain the momentum and win that game. These mental errors have to stop, period. The fact that stupid penalties by the o-line moved us from the 20 yard line to the 45 and cost us a chance at a fg last nigh is a prime example of where we just can't stop hurting ourselves continuously ...

It was the first offensive series of the second half, but we absolutely were going to be in that game with a chance to win if he holds onto the ball there after having gotten the necessary yardage on 4th down.

Reaction Score
Newsome will be a terrific back for us in time. He's paying his dues now and will learn to protect the ball better. Sitting him a bit to get him focused on that is a good move.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
desmondconner 1:08pm via Twitter for Android
RB Newsome didn't practice this week because of lower leg injury. Was cleared to play later but didn't get time till second half. #UConn

soxanddawgs 1:08pm via Twitter Web Client
Arkeel Newsome suffered a non-football related lower leg injury and hadn't practiced. Hence one series last night #UConn

NHRJimFuller 1:09pm via TweetDeck
#UConn coach Bob Diaco said RB Arkeel Newsome is 100 percent. He missed practice last week and only played one series

I don't want to spoil the positive feel of last night by reading anything he says.... because this is just another bizarre one.

Reaction Score
I don't want to spoil the positive feel of last night by reading anything he says.... because this is just another bizarre one.

No Argument...Everything he says needs to go through one's own filter - kind of like listening to cable news networks.

Reaction Score
this regime has a propensity for referencing the 3rd leg

revisiting the stony stream level that club is 4-4 and 3-1 in colonial conf

bigs in colonial are unh at 5-1 and vill. at 6-1; stony 1-3 vs fbs; who did stony defeat from so called big boys

colonial conf looks like todays version of yankee conf with uri, towson, maine, de, elon, richmond, j madison, albany, william and mary

i doubt this regime could compete at yank conf level

Reaction Score
It was the first offensive series of the second half, but we absolutely were going to be in that game with a chance to win if he holds onto the ball there after having gotten the necessary yardage on 4th down.

Definitely. We were down 24-10 and he had already earned enough yards for a first down but was trying to score a touchdown, which would have made it a one-score game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
As in...he was storing his brain in his lower leg instead of inside his helmet where it belongs. Could also apply to heart and or gonads as the situation warrants.

Reaction Score
I actually believe it. If he got hurt and couldn't practice, he probably wasn't prepared. As a true freshman practicing and working on assignments and blitz pick up is huge during the practice week. If he wasn't able to get any reps in then HCBD probably didn't want to risk sending him out there in a big spot to miss an assignment. I'm sure he will increase the load next week. If it was Max or some Jr. or Sr. they probably could've handled missing the practice time while still being prepared.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I actually believe it. If he got hurt and couldn't practice, he probably wasn't prepared. As a true freshman practicing and working on assignments and blitz pick up is huge during the practice week. If he wasn't able to get any reps in then HCBD probably didn't want to risk sending him out there in a big spot to miss an assignment. I'm sure he will increase the load next week. If it was Max or some Jr. or Sr. they probably could've handled missing the practice time while still being prepared.

So he couldn't play much because he wasn't prepared... but he could play in the second half of a close game.

That makes a ton of sense.

Reaction Score
So he couldn't play much because he wasn't prepared... but he could play in the second half of a close game.

That makes a ton of sense.

Sorry whaler. You are right. Because he came in for two designed plays that were targeting getting him the ball, where he wouldn't have to worry about scheme or pass pro makes my premise totally incorrect......Come on...think before you speak....Thanks for checking though. Take the rude sarcasm elsewhere.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry whaler. You are right. Because he came in for two designed plays that were targeting getting him the ball, where he wouldn't have to worry about scheme or pass pro makes my premise totally incorrect.Come on...think before you speak....Thanks for checking though. Take the rude sarcasm elsewhere.

I wasn't saying you don't make sense.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I wasn't saying you don't make sense.

You put the ball on the ground twice. That's losing football. That's lower extremity, sitting on the bench football.

Message received.

Don't put the ball on the ground. Full stop. Full stop. Yeah, Newsome, that means you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You put the ball on the ground twice. That's losing football. That's lower extremity, sitting on the bench football.

Message received.

Don't put the ball on the ground. Full stop. Full stop. Yeah, Newsome, that means you.

Really I'm just poking fun at what lower body injury means.

Still I will never understand why you'd bench a guy for fumbling - or because he couldn't practice - then take him off bench cold in the second half and use him in a big spot.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Really I'm just poking fun at what lower body injury means.

Still I will never understand why you'd bench a guy for fumbling - or because he couldn't practice - then take him off bench cold in the second half and use him in a big spot.

I remember Bill Parcels putting the #1 draft pick of the giants (and the best RB out of the B!G in years) on the bench because of this exact issue. OJ Anderson didn't put the ball on the ground.

Full stop.

FRom wiki

In his first two and a half seasons with New York, Anderson did not fumble once in his 100 offensive touches. In 1989, Anderson become the top running back for Bill Parcells' ball control offense and was named NFL Comeback Player of the Year. He scored a career high 14 rushing touchdowns, and rushed for 1,023 yards on 325 carries. He was also the top running back for the Giants the following year, when they won Super Bowl XXV, and was named Super Bowl MVP for his 102 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries. As a testament to the Giants' ball control strategy, their time of possession was double that of the Buffalo Bills, their opponents, in the first Super Bowl without a turnover. Anderson is one of only four running backs in NFL history to score rushing touchdowns in two Super Bowls and win Super Bowl MVP (only Franco Harris and John Riggins accomplished this feat before Anderson, and only Emmitt Smith has achieved it since).​

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I remember Bill Parcels putting the #1 draft pick of the giants (and the best RB out of the B!G in years) on the bench because of this exact issue. OJ Anderson didn't put the ball on the ground.

Full stop.

FRom wiki

In his first two and a half seasons with New York, Anderson did not fumble once in his 100 offensive touches. In 1989, Anderson become the top running back for Bill Parcells' ball control offense and was named NFL Comeback Player of the Year. He scored a career high 14 rushing touchdowns, and rushed for 1,023 yards on 325 carries. He was also the top running back for the Giants the following year, when they won Super Bowl XXV, and was named Super Bowl MVP for his 102 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries. As a testament to the Giants' ball control strategy, their time of possession was double that of the Buffalo Bills, their opponents, in the first Super Bowl without a turnover. Anderson is one of only four running backs in NFL history to score rushing touchdowns in two Super Bowls and win Super Bowl MVP (only Franco Harris and John Riggins accomplished this feat before Anderson, and only Emmitt Smith has achieved it since).​

While I think you are missing my point... are you talking about Butch Woolfolk?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
@rodneyhampton

Reaction Score

Nobody likes a "know it all" BL!!! LOL......

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is the year to send messages. If we're 4-3 next year, we need our best players to play and that includes Newsome. This is the year that you send a message to the youngster that fumbles won't be tolerated. I have no problem with it.

Using "lower leg injury" as an excuse is bullspit though. I understand the need to protect the young kid from the wrath of the fans and media by disguising his benching behind a BS injury. But I also think guising benching behind BS injuries sends a mixed tough love message. Just bench the kid and call it "team issues" or something. Newsome and Johnson are going to be a lethal 1-2 running combo for us for years. There is no reason why either can be sent a public message if they are making continued mistakes. The Tulane game wasn't the first Newsome fumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom