Newsflash. | The Boneyard

Newsflash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anybody think that maybe this has something to do with the Big East finally drawing the line on Notre Dame taking bowl game slots from deserving Big East teams?

"We are able to maintain our historic independence in football, join in the ACC's non-BCS bowl package....."

Jack Swarbrick.

Reaction Score
No. That's a level of stupidity not even the Big East could achieve.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
More likely the sad bowl tie-ins and access to more than one bowl.

Ultimately, I think this is about declining quality of BE BB and the future difficulty in scheduling FB games. Desirable or not, with 9 game conference schedules and 8 game home schedules, the math becomes difficult.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Has more to do with timing of the BE contract negotiations.

My guess - the BE just told ESPN to sit and spin, and this was their retort. Well played...

Reaction Score
Please just stop with your endless Big East glasses. This conference is a royal piece of and should be torpedoed immediately. We'd almost be better off in the MAC at this point.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Independence
Please just stop with your endless Big East glasses. This conference is a royal piece of and should be torpedoed immediately. We'd almost be better off in the MAC at this point.
Hell, independence doesn't seem all that bad an option. It's not like our schedule would get much worse.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Independence
Hell, independence doesn't seem all that bad an option. It's not like our schedule would get much worse.

We lack the fanbase and therefore TV and bowl attractiveness to go indy in FB.

Wouldn't be able to recruit as an indy at all.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Enough whistling past the graveyard...this is not the Big East getting tough with Notre Dame, this is Notre Dame getting out.

Reaction Score
Enough whistling past the graveyard...this is not the Big East getting tough with Notre Dame, this is Notre Dame getting out.

Maybe so, but this is Notre Dame, doing what they need to do, to maintain their precious football independance - nothing more.

THink about it what the ACC just agreed to do with Notre Dame. Deserving ACC football programs, will have bowl game spots taken by Notre Dame.

I wonder what ND"s football record vs. ACC opponents in teh past 15 years is, as opposed to Big East football programs in the past 15 years. '

I really don't know - it would be interesting to see. My hypothesis, is that ND tends to win more games against ACC opponents, than they do Big East opponents.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
In other news...

ESPN/ABC has agreed to purchase Comcast/NBC for 53 gazillion dollars. One highly placed ESPN insider was quoted as saying, "We're going to reanimate Walt Disney to personally drive a stake into the heart of the Big East."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe so, but this is Notre Dame, doing what they need to do, to maintain their precious football independance - nothing more.

THink about it what the ACC just agreed to do with Notre Dame. Deserving ACC football programs, will have bowl game spots taken by Notre Dame.

I wonder what ND"s football record vs. ACC opponents in teh past 15 years is, as opposed to Big East football programs in the past 15 years. '

I really don't know - it would be interesting to see. My hypothesis, is that ND tends to win more games against ACC opponents, than they do Big East opponents.

As I posted in another thread:

Newsflash - the ACC is now the Big East. Look at the schools, look at the partial for ND, with us gone they will get the crap timeslots on ESPN. I only hope it turns out to be as big a shitfest for them as it has been for us.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Has more to do with timing of the BE contract negotiations.

My guess - the BE just told ESPN to sit and spin, and this was their retort. Well played...

Not a doubt in my mind anymore... I basically laid this scenario out in a post a month or so ago.

Reaction Score
"In any short-term way there's no financial benefit," the official said. "If we wanted to do something for money we would have joined the Big Ten. What it's really about is postseason play."

The official added: "It's a really good fit academically. There are sports that we're going to play, the non-football sports are very good and they're going to test us."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/09/12/notre-dame-acc/index.html#ixzz26H2Bcszu

There's one of those unnamed officials talking, via Pete Thamel.

My gut reaction to this - was that the Big East future bowl schedule, is not going to have the arrangement that Notre Dame had with the big east for the past 17 years.

It's going to happen to the ACC. A 6-6 Notre Dame team is going to take the place in higher tier bowl, from a 7-5, 8-4, or better ACC team in the future.

I guarantee that the vote for this to happen among the the ACC schools, was not a unanimous vote.

I'd bet anything that i"m right, and that sometime in the past few weeks, Notre Dame was informed that the future post season for the Big Eas in college football, would not be renewing the same agreement to allow them to access Big East conference contracted post season games.

Reaction Score
"In any short-term way there's no financial benefit," the official said. "If we wanted to do something for money we would have joined the Big Ten. What it's really about is postseason play."

The official added: "It's a really good fit academically. There are sports that we're going to play, the non-football sports are very good and they're going to test us."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/09/12/notre-dame-acc/index.html#ixzz26H2Bcszu

There's one of those unnamed officials talking, via Pete Thamel.

My gut reaction to this - was that the Big East future bowl schedule, is not going to have the arrangement that Notre Dame had with the big east for the past 17 years.

It's going to happen to the ACC. A 6-6 Notre Dame team is going to take the place in higher tier bowl, from a 7-5, 8-4, or better ACC team in the future.

I guarantee that the vote for this to happen among the the ACC schools, was not a unanimous vote.

I'd bet anything that i"m right, and that sometime in the past few weeks, Notre Dame was informed that the future post season for the Big Eas in college football, would not be renewing the same agreement to allow them to access Big East conference contracted post season games.

MHver3@MHver3
@tobywayne10 majority vote. 4 schools against. FSU. Vt. Clemson. NCST

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Newsflash - the ACC is now the Big East. Look at the schools, look at the partial for ND, with us gone they will get the crap timeslots on ESPN. I only hope it turns out to be as big a ****fest for them as it has been for us.

Exactly. They now get to play the teams they originally signed up to play, minus UConn (who they would still like to play), plus get (i) games against big name hoops schools like UNC and Duke, and (ii) a really nice upgrade for their baseball and lacrosse teams. Soccer is excellent as well. Don't focus on the name, ND just re-joined the Big East.

Reaction Score
So ESPN gets ND vs ACC when ACC teams are home but NBC gets TV rights to ND home games?

Doesn't ESPN have the home and away rights to all the other ACC FB teams?

Unreal....new motto for ND....Greed is good.

Reaction Score
So ESPN gets ND vs ACC when ACC teams are home but NBC gets TV rights to ND home games?

Doesn't ESPN have the home and away rights to all the other ACC FB teams?

Unreal....new motto for ND....Greed is good.

Sooner or later, when you take giant amounts of money, and transfer it from one pocket to your other pocket (Disney).......the IRS comes looking around.

Obama needs to fund Obamacare.

Reaction Score
Anybody think that maybe this has something to do with the Big East finally drawing the line on Notre Dame taking bowl game slots from deserving Big East teams?

"We are able to maintain our historic independence in football, join in the ACC's non-BCS bowl package....."

Jack Swarbrick.

It appears that you have taken the role of unabashed defender of the New Big East, which is fine.

However, the statement is sooooooo far from the truth that I'm scared that you might actually believe this. The Big East never has (and now never will) given any type of ultimatum to Notre Dame. This was ND having the power to choose what it wanted to do - nothing simpler than that.

Reaction Score

Right. We know that the ACC made a mistake. What the heck do their Presidents, trustees and paid consultants know.

Reaction Score

Newsflash - the ACC is now the Big East. Look at the schools, look at the partial for ND, with us gone they will get the crap timeslots on ESPN. I only hope it turns out to be as big a ****fest for them as it has been for us.
Except all the BE has to do now is get the remaining non FB schools to leave. The BE is still the ultimate hybrid league until it splits. Which might not be too far away if the BB schools actually take the time to look around. But that would involve foresight and leadership from someone on their side. Something that we all know is lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom