News today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

News today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was about to "like" your preceding post, until I read this one;). I humbly disagree with you. After reading that Clawson utilizes talent to put them in a position to succeed rather than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, I'm beginning to warm up to the idea. Anyone know where Bowling Green ranks in recruiting? Is Clawson able to 1) win recruiting battles and/or 2) coach up players?

Not a bad fit for us. Perhaps better for Wake. He's run football programs well at small private schools and he has a proven recruiting strategy that worked well at Fordham and Richmond.

I think he might be a steal, and he is probably the guy. Lembo is the trendy pick, Clawson used to be but he is still just as good.

Reaction Score
If this is seriously true... I'm burning all my Uconn gear, canceling my season tickets and becoming a Notre Dame fan full-time.
It was a joke. A bad joke, but a joke. If it turns out to be true, I will claim clairvoyance.

Reaction Score
Not in my opinion.

Stable of young QB's (check)
Stable of young RB's (check)
WR's (check)
Foley as O-line coach and Casey at QB = OK offensive line (check)

There is no way this is a "total rebuild job". That kind of talk is just an excuse for losing (see Paul Pasqualoni)
Whomever becomes coach (out side of Weist) will want to install their scheme. How many of the QB's fit the scheme remains to be seen. Depending on who the new coach is, some of the checks you have may become transfers. And don't think they keep Foley. 2-10/3-9 teams rarely retain any of the prior coaches when a new guy comes in. New coach has free rein to establish his own staff.

Games are won on D and in the lines. The line play on both sides of the ball is less than optimal, the recruiting for the lines has been sub-optimal for the 3 previous years. Does this team have enough to be a bowl eligible team? Probably. To win championships? I don't see it. Seeing Uconn as a rebuilding job is just reality in my mind. You may have some pieces, but you need a lot more.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
he has a proven recruiting strategy that worked well at Fordham and Richmond.

What I got our of the SI article is that he developed a recruiting strategy at both places that emphasized their strengths. Both times it was a national strategy, which I like

When Calhoun came to UCONN, he also took a national approach and used the BE as the carrot - "play against the best". I'm sure he had a different pitch at northeastern.

I like the fact that Clawson came up with a strategy and then executed successfully against it. If he leaves in 4 years, I want their to be talent in place for the next guy.

Reaction Score
I was about to "like" your preceding post, until I read this one;). I humbly disagree with you. After reading that Clawson utilizes talent to put them in a position to succeed rather than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, I'm beginning to warm up to the idea. Anyone know where Bowling Green ranks in recruiting? Is Clawson able to 1) win recruiting battles and/or 2) coach up players?
Per rivals BGSU is #4 in the MAC and BGSU is currently 12 places ahead of Uconn in the national rankings. Last year, BGSU was #2 in the MAC for recruiting and #84 nationally. He has recruited 3 to 5 3* players there every year. But as some poster pointed out to me, I don't understand recruiting rankings.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Per rivals BGSU is #4 in the MAC and BGSU is currently 12 places ahead of Uconn in the national rankings. Last year, BGSU was #2 in the MAC for recruiting and #84 nationally. He has recruited 3 to 5 3* players there every year. But as some poster pointed out to me, I don't understand recruiting rankings.
The recruiting services don't understand recruiting rankings.;)

Reaction Score
I am liking Clawson more and more. He has a habit of taking over some really bad teams. Bowling Green not so much but the Fordham team he took over and re-built had been awful for a decade or more. He took over a bad Richmond team and in 2 years won 9 games. When you look at a coach's record you need to take context into consideration. Fordham was considering dropping football before he turned the program around. I think he tends to be more of a tear down and rebuild guy, which makes me a little nervous as opposed to Lembo who is more a quick turnaround guy. Either one might jump to the Big if successful, but guess what? If one is successful at Wake and the Big calls, he's leaving there, too.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
After, i read the si article on him he was my first choice.. He opens up about the recruiting strategy he uses, that what UConn needs, Narduzzi is the glamorous candidate, but no H.C.. experience scares me...Clawson was head coach in waiting @ Tennessee , and the hot assistant at that point..

Reaction Score
What I got our of the SI article is that he developed a recruiting strategy at both places that emphasized their strengths. Both times it was a national strategy, which I like

When Calhoun came to UCONN, he also took a national approach and used the BE as the carrot - "play against the best". I'm sure he had a different pitch at northeastern.

I like the fact that Clawson came up with a strategy and then executed successfully against it. If he leaves in 4 years, I want their to be talent in place for the next guy.

He is wicked smart. Went to Williams, and I am sure he will figure a strategy that works for us should he be hired.

I would just think that with his career experience that Wake would be interested.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
4 of the coaches interviewed last time including P.P, are out of coaching.. This time regardless of who gets hired will be better...

Reaction Score
Clawson was head coach in waiting @ Tennessee

Embarrassed.gif

You shouldn't believe everything that Thamel or SI prints....;)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Over/Under: 5 Bowling Green games the Boneyard has watched this season.

Over/Under: 98% of the Boneyard that thinks they can evaluate a head coach based ona wikipedia article.

I'll take the under and the over.

Reaction Score
I have to say, though I watched BG play twice this year and came away impressed both times. I also saw his Fordham team play once (a friend's nephew played against them) and remember they were very well coached.

Reaction Score
Over/Under: 5 Bowling Green games the Boneyard has watched this season.

Over/Under: 98% of the Boneyard that thinks they can evaluate a head coach based ona wikipedia article.

I'll take the under and the over.
I watched them a couple of times. Olinemen looked fit and like they could move. That is what stood out to me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
DSquiz said:
Can we stop saying stuff like this?

We still have an autobid ino a BCS game. It's just a little harder to get it. We need to be the top ranked team out of the group of 5. Most years thats the American Champ.

Couple of things:

I'm talking about the quality of the Louisville team the Krags destroyed. They weren't exactly 2-9. You can't Kragthorpe a team that has already been Kragthorped.

Secondly, I completely disagree that the American champ will get that bid most years. It's just as likely to come from the MWC or MAC as the American. CUSA and Sun Belt not so much.

All UConn has to do is win the conference. And be 11-1. And hope no one from the MWC, MAC are 12-0. But UConn also has to schedule up OOC...

No problem.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
metsfan2323 said:
Wha, Wha , Wha , Whaaaa.....Debbie Downer strikes again.

Looks like you might get your pathetic wish of TJ Weist. But yeah I'm 'Debbie Downer' - not the guy who thinks so little of the program he thinks TJ Weist is the right guy.

Your as wrong as the pro-Pasqualoni idiots that existed on day 1. Hopefully it doesn't have to be proven to you like it had to be proven to them.

Reaction Score
Couple of things:

I'm talking about the quality of the Louisville team the Krags destroyed. They weren't exactly 2-9. You can't Kragthorpe a team that has already been Kragthorped.

Secondly, I completely disagree that the American champ will get that bid most years. It's just as likely to come from the MWC or MAC as the American. CUSA and Sun Belt not so much.

All UConn has to do is win the conference. And be 11-1. And hope no one from the MWC, MAC are 12-0. But UConn also has to schedule up OOC...

No problem.
I feel this way also. The idea that the American champ will likely get the bid is more Aresco hyperbole. The American will have better/more balanced depth than those other conferences most years, which will make it harder to get that bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom