News on South Carolina vs Mississippi State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

News on South Carolina vs Mississippi State

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, I'm glad I didn't place any wagers. Congrats to Miss State.
Somebody posted that the line had gone to 13.5, and even that wasn’t enough if you wanted to lay money on SC. Clearly, MS St wasn’t 14 pts better than SC, but the problem you get into is at the end of the game when SC starts deliberately fouling, giving MS St a bunch of free shots, while rushing their offense by launching a bunch of bad shots at the other end. So a single digit deficit balloons to 14 pts in a couple minutes.

Reaction Score
Wilson is due for a big game and she really needs to have one if she wants to be player of the year in the league, let alone the nation. She is a much better player than McCowan, but that isn't always what matters.

But this matchup has a ton of moving parts and there are a number of players on both teams who could end up being the story. It is a good matchup.

A perfect example of the good and the bad from Wilson..........good shot blocker and defender, runs the court well but limited offensive game............she either doesn't have the ability to shoot from seven feet out or Dawn simply was satisfied with her one sided inside game for four years..............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A perfect example of the good and the bad from Wilson.....good shot blocker and defender, runs the court well but limited offensive game..she either doesn't have the ability to shoot from seven feet out or Dawn simply was satisfied with her one sided inside game for four years....
Wilson has the shooting touch of a bricklayer. Many of her misses from 5-7 feet occurred down the stretch when MS St began to pull away. McGowan didn’t even contest most of those shots.

Give Z those open shots and she’ll make 80% of them.

Reaction Score
Wilson has the shooting touch of a bricklayer. Many of her misses from 5-7 feet occurred down the stretch when MS St began to pull away. McGowan didn’t even contest most of those shots.

Give Z those open shots and she’ll make 80% of them.

well maybe 65%.................

Reaction Score
A perfect example of the good and the bad from Wilson.....good shot blocker and defender, runs the court well but limited offensive game..she either doesn't have the ability to shoot from seven feet out or Dawn simply was satisfied with her one sided inside game for four years....

I did not get to watch the game due to a prior commitment. Judging from the box score and the reports on her early, it sounds like she had a fairly typical game. Big start, tough finish. Big on the boards and on defense.

Looking at the box, seems pretty clear she didn't get much help. I guess Ty Harris was in foul trouble. Jennings no-showed, which was bad. That needed to be an advantage.

Looking at Miss State box, I would have taken that line from Vivians. 8/24.

The 20 boards from McCowan probably hurt a lot.

I'm guessing there was a lot of reluctances to take shots on offense from USC.

Reaction Score
I did not get to watch the game due to a prior commitment. Judging from the box score and the reports on her early, it sounds like she had a fairly typical game. Big start, tough finish. Big on the boards and on defense.

Looking at the box, seems pretty clear she didn't get much help. I guess Ty Harris was in foul trouble. Jennings no-showed, which was bad. That needed to be an advantage.

I'm guessing there was a lot of reluctances to take shots on offense from USC.

Wilson is carrying a heavy load this year and she deserves great credit for trying her best to do it.............my only issue is that I constantly hear that she is the default NPOY pick as the most talented and important player in WBB............she is a really good but somewhat flawed basketball player and I really think the MVP should be a wide open race...........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wilson is carrying a heavy load this year and she deserves great credit for trying her best to do it...my only issue is that I constantly hear that she is the default NPOY pick as the most talented and important player in WBB..she is a really good but somewhat flawed basketball player and I really think the MVP should be a wide open race......
I was thinking about that this morning. The other “consensus” NPOY candidate that is equally flawed is Kelsey Mitchell.

A number of players merit serious consideration including: Durr, Ionescu, Brown, Vivians, McGowan, Gabby & Lou IMO.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I was thinking about that this morning. The other “consensus” NPOY candidate that is equally flawed is Kelsey Mitchell.

A number of players merit serious consideration including: Durr, Ionescu, Brown, Vivians, McGowan, Gabby & Lou IMO.

Kia Nurse????

Reaction Score
Wilson is carrying a heavy load this year and she deserves great credit for trying her best to do it...my only issue is that I constantly hear that she is the default NPOY pick as the most talented and important player in WBB..she is a really good but somewhat flawed basketball player and I really think the MVP should be a wide open race......

Agree fully. It only takes watching one game to get the full picture of her skill set.

Reaction Score

Agree.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yes, along with a big stretch in the 1st half. Quite frankly, MS St is a better team with Schaefer & Holmes in the backcourt.

Holmes and William split the PG spot...if William is effective, Schaefer stays with her. If not, he tries Holmes. Minutes vary game by game. Last night Holmes was outstanding so she played the 2nd half. Both are similar players in that they take care of the ball, play good defense, and are capable scoring threats despite being pass first point guards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Holmes and William split the PG spot...if William is effective, Schaefer stays with her. If not, he tries Holmes. Minutes vary game by game. Last night Holmes was outstanding so she played the 2nd half. Both are similar players in that they take care of the ball, play good defense, and are capable scoring threats despite being pass first point guards.
While I have not seen a lot of MS St, based on last night’s game, Holmes is a better defender than William.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse????
I think Kia has been the most valuable Husky this season, and she really should be a lock for 1st team AA, but I doubt that the voters for NPOY will give her the love that she deserves.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think it is that unusual for William to sit. She's not quite the player that the NCAA run might have suggested to folks.
True but I'm not necessarily looking at last years NCAA run. This year Willian is 2nd in the country in Assist/TO ratio. Player like that has got to have some value when you get to the 4th Q down by 5?. Holmes and Schafer played very well in the 4th Q and make Vic look good.

Reaction Score

I see the issue as more of over-reliance by the team on one player, even if that player is the front-runner for NPOY. Part of the reason Mississippi was ultimately successful last night, after it being only the Victoria Vivians show for the first quarter, is that other players like Bibby, Schaefer, Holmes and finally McCowan stepped up to make it a balanced effort.

Honestly, though, I was not the least bit impressed by either team.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I think Kia has been the most valuable Husky this season, and she really should be a lock for 1st team AA, but I doubt that the voters for NPOY will give her the love that she deserves.

At the start of the year, before we played our first game, if I had to rank our 5 starters in terms of NPOY or even AA potential I would have passed over Kia, in favor of our flashier athletes. But the stats don't lie and the eye test doesn't either. Lock down defender, due respect to KLS but best 3 point shooter (statistically), runs the court like mad, pulls her whole team up to her energy level, great team leader, I could go on and on and on.

In short anyone who doesn't regard her as an NPOY isn't looking at the on the court results, they're going on hype and flash. JMHO. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom