News on South Carolina vs Mississippi State | The Boneyard

News on South Carolina vs Mississippi State

Reaction Score
I'll let somebody else do the poll.............not sure how SC can win unless they can stop Vivians and others from outside and up their own outside scoring........here are a couple of interesting news items on the game that I posted elsewhere.......

Raoul‏ @Raoul_000
WBB: Hearing that UConn transfer Andra Espinoza-Hunter is visiting Mississippi State; sounds like she'll be there for their showdown with South Carolina tomorrow night.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Raoul‏ @Raoul_000
WBB: Hearing that UConn transfer Andra Espinoza-Hunter is visiting Mississippi State; sounds like she'll be there for their showdown with South Carolina tomorrow night.
Hmmm. I stated my opinion on this visit in another thread and was basically laughed at, so my lips are sealed.

Reaction Score
Hmmm...who does one root for when it comes to these two? Should be an interesting game..

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Hmmm...who does one root for when it comes to these two? Should be an interesting game..
I would probably root against the undefeated team just so that the rankings get scrambled.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll let somebody else do the poll...not sure how SC can win unless they can stop Vivians and others from outside and up their own outside scoring...here are a couple of interesting news items on the game that I posted elsewhere..

Raoul‏ @Raoul_000

While I wish AEH well wherever she ends up, hopefully she’s aware that Vic and Geno are cut from the same cloth when it comes to coaching philosophy and player discipline.

Reaction Score
I'll let somebody else do the poll...not sure how SC can win unless they can stop Vivians and others from outside and up their own outside scoring...here are a couple of interesting news items on the game that I posted elsewhere...

I think Miss State is capable of winning this game going away if they shoot well at home, but I don't think its a particularly bad matchup for USC.

to me it's a pretty interesting game of rock, paper, scissors.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Miss State is capable of winning this game going away if they shoot well at home, but I don't think its a particularly bad matchup for USC.

Hate to put it all on Wilson, but she’s capable of dominating McGowan at both ends. If she does, SC has a very good chance to pull off the upset.

Reaction Score
Hate to put it all on Wilson, but she’s capable of dominating McGowan at both ends. If she does, SC has a very good chance to pull off the upset.

Wilson is due for a big game and she really needs to have one if she wants to be player of the year in the league, let alone the nation. She is a much better player than McCowan, but that isn't always what matters.

But this matchup has a ton of moving parts and there are a number of players on both teams who could end up being the story. It is a good matchup.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Wilson is due for a big game and she really needs to have one if she wants to be player of the year in the league, let alone the nation. She is a much better player than McCowan, but that isn't always what matters.

But this matchup has a ton of moving parts and there are a number of players on both teams who could end up being the story. It is a good matchup.
Is she a better player or does she just have the potential to be a better player?

Reaction Score
Miss St. is a 11.5 point favorite tonight. I would think it will be closer than that. It should be a good game to watch.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

I thought that A'ja Wilson's game against UConn will raise her standing with WNBA coaches and GM's (which may be hard to do since she seems to be the consensus #1 overall pick in April).

She demonstrated against UConn that she can score against very good defense, and that she will keep plugging away on the offensive boards as long as she possibly can. Also, she played good defense (I thought) even on plays where UConn scored rather easily because her younger teammates messed up an assignment. For instance, on KLS's first 3-pointer from the left corner with Napheesa screening, it looked like Pheesa screened two players. But Wilson made the right play -- to stay behind Collier so as to box out for a rebound and prevent a pick and roll. It was Ty Harris who didn't realize that she needed to jump in front of the screen to defend the shot. So it looked like Napheesa screened two defenders, which she did -- but only because of Harris's minor brain freeze.

On the pick-and-roll play where Lou passed to Napheesa for an uncontested layup, A'ja again made the correct defensive play to go out a stop the shot (so the same thing didn't happen again). It was up to the weak side help defense to cover Napheesa's roll to the basket, and the young player(s) there had another brain freeze and failed to do it.

Also, there were a couple of layups (one by Napheesa and one by Lou) where A'ja was draped all over them but not fouling them, and they still made the layup.

Despite the 4-for-14 stats, considering that she was the only "adult" defender on the Gamecock team, I thought A'ja played really well at both ends of the court.

One thing she still has to learn, however, is to pass out of a double team. But maybe her teammates weren't in position for that either, and that's why she didn't do it.

Reaction Score
Miss St. is a 11.5 point favorite tonight. I would think it will be closer than that. It should be a good game to watch.

By a sports book or by some power rating?

Like I said, it could get away from South Carolina but I'd be willing to risk a sizable crunch of change if you give me 11.5 points.

Reaction Score
Is she a better player or does she just have the potential to be a better player?

I suppose I could be totally biased and not seeing things correctly, but I don't think its a conversation.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
My guess is that Wilson will have a better game than McCowan, but that won;t be enough to overcome the better game by MS St guards.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

FOR SHAME on you!!! Don't ever say that. Breath deeply, exhale and repeat after me, "Dawn has it under control, Dawn has it under control, A'ja is a beast, A'ja is a beast, Ty is a wizard, Ty is a wizard". Take two aspirin and call me after the game...;)

Reaction Score
By a sports book or by some power rating?

Like I said, it could get away from South Carolina but I'd be willing to risk a sizable crunch of change if you give me 11.5 points.
Line is now up to 13.5 at sports book.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Line is now up to 13.5 at sports book.
I need to get a bet down on the Gamecocks. Even if MS St wins, this is likely to be one of those “grind it out” low scoring SEC battles.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Miss. State plays extremely well at home; SC not so well on the road.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom