News on DJB [merged thread] | The Boneyard

News on DJB [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Has anyone heard about De'Janae in the past month or so? Has she chosen another school? Is she sitting out the semester?

Reaction Score
As you likely know, if she sits out the semester without enrolling in a new school, then she will not be able to play at all next year. Her next season would be the 2017-18 one, but she would then be able to play three full years. I'd expect to see info shortly that she has enrolled somewhere.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As you likely know, if she sits out the semester without enrolling in a new school, then she will not be able to play at all next year. Her next season would be the 2017-18 one, but she would then be able to play three full years. I'd expect to see info shortly that she has enrolled somewhere.
The semester has begun or is about to begin at most schools. I too expect some info soon.

Reaction Score
If she stays D-I, my guess is she'll end up at Penn State, Virginia, Virginia Tech or West Virginia. Penn State and Virginia were in her final 5 prior to committing to UConn at the end of her Jr. season.

Reaction Score
She didn't play the regular season or preseason so shouldn't she have 4 years ?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
She didn't play the regular season or preseason so shouldn't she have 4 years ?

A player has 5 years to use her 4 years of eligibility. Her first year is this year/season (2015/2016). A player must be in residence at a new school for one year after transfer. If she is not enrolled for the second semester of this school year (spring semester), then 2016/2017 is a year she must sit out for that year of residency in that new school. That is year 2 of the 5 years she has. After that she has 3 years to play out of the 5.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A player has 5 years to use her 4 years of eligibility. Her first year is this year/season (2015/2016). A player must be in residence at a new school for one year after transfer. If she is not enrolled for the second semester of this school year (spring semester), then 2016/2017 is a year she must sit out for that year of residency in that new school. That is year 2 of the 5 years she has. After that she has 3 years to play out of the 5.
She can apply and might well be granted a sixth year.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
She can apply and might well be granted a sixth year.
Yes, there is that possibility. My explanation was just to clarify and explain why stamforhusky stated that, by the rules, she will have at most three years of play. How and when the NCAA may choose to provide exceptions to those rules and grant a sixth year are not clear.

Reaction Score
Michala Johnson is a good example of a player who was granted a 6th year.

Yes, there are players who have been granted a 6th year. However Johnson had a much better case than Boykin will have, since one of her years was lost to a season-ending knee injury. In Boykin's case, if she ends up sitting for her first two seasons, it will not be due to any season-ending injury - and the second year will be voluntary, since she could transfer now and be playing again by mid-December next year. I would bet against her getting a 6th year in that scenario.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes, there are players who have been granted a 6th year. However Johnson had a much better case than Boykin will have, since one of her years was lost to a season-ending knee injury. In Boykin's case, if she ends up sitting for her first two seasons, it will not be due to any season-ending injury - and the second year will be voluntary, since she could transfer now and be playing again by mid-December next year. I would bet against her getting a 6th year in that scenario.
Well, one of Johnson's seasons was lost to a voluntary transfer, and transferring mid-season is certainly not an easy proposition for anyone - most students choose to transfer to a new school at the beginning of the school year even if they have left their first school at the end of the first semester. And we really don't know the seriousness of Boykin's injury - she was able to participate in some practices, but was never able to suit up for a game.

Reaction Score
Well, one of Johnson's seasons was lost to a voluntary transfer, and transferring mid-season is certainly not an easy proposition for anyone - most students choose to transfer to a new school at the beginning of the school year even if they have left their first school at the end of the first semester. And we really don't know the seriousness of Boykin's injury - she was able to participate in some practices, but was never able to suit up for a game.

I don't know about the women - but I do know that most male players who leave a school after first semester immediately re-enroll at a new school for the next semester. I would be surprised if that is not the case for the women also.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wish her well... very well. Perturbed by the lack of information, which suggests serious issues. Wish she could have stuck it out, but respect that it did not happen. Be well DJB. Be well.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Im getting concerned for her too. Seems like if it just a bad fit issue that she would have found another spot and would be enrolled somewhere. Hope she is okay.

Reaction Score
What was her beef against us?
It is certainly not sibling proximity.
Perhaps one of the players would enlighten us when her playing career is over.

Reaction Score
What was her beef against us?
It is certainly not sibling proximity.
Perhaps one of the players would enlighten us when her playing career is over.
She didn't meet the standards the program sets. Sometimes a fresh start is needed. Good luck to her.

Reaction Score
Good news - PSU is developing a pipeline to Uconn!

PSU needs more than a pipeline to UConn. Why would anyone want to go from the penthouse to the outhouse ?

Reaction Score
200 miles from DC to PSU so reasonable drive for family. I wish her well.

Reaction Score
Since nobody has presented any unequivocal evidence as to why Boykin left, I have no choice but to use my imagination and suggest the following possibilities:

1. Academics- Boykin struggled and could not perform her classwork satisfactorily, stressing her out and prompting her to look to move on.
2. Basketball- Boykin realized soon after practice began that she was in over her head skills-wise and likely would never be a starter (even after her wrist healed.) Seeing Lou, Gabby, Napheesa and Natalie (AND the 4 returning starters) might have given her pause to question her own ability to get minutes. Sadly, she left without ever putting in the effort to actually find out. A Sadie Edwards-like move, in my book.
3. The Coaches- Geno, CD and the coaching staff were much tougher and far more demanding than the smiling, sweetie-pies they appeared to be while recruiting Boykin.
4. The Program- The pressure, expectations, and constant public scrutiny of playing for the 10 x National Champions was just overwhelming.
5. After spending time living with our kids in Storrs, Boykin decided Lou, Napheesa, Gabby et al. were really mean and rotten and she didn't want to be around them...Nahhhhhhhhh.

I think it was probably a little of 1, 2, 3, and 4. No way 5! But more of #2 than any other. My complete shot in the dark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22