News on COOMBS? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

News on COOMBS?

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I'll echo @UcMiami and @Charliebball regarding MC's rebounding ability. People tend to focus on her athleticism regarding her defense and then her weak offensive game. But part of that athleticism means she has good hops, quick hops, and quick hands. She was ideally suited to help on the boards--she's demonstrated what she can do. And, she can block shots.

It's a head-scratcher to me why she didn't play.

I agree more with your analysis than CH's. Not only does she have the quickest feet on the team and real leaping ability for her size, but when shots go up she hunts for an opponent to put her body on and box out, which is very rare for this UConn team. She also gets to lots of loose balls and long rebounds. So I don't see inserting her as an "experiment," especially when the fouls counts began to mount.

Reaction Score
IMo Coombs can't be trusted to play well though isn't terrible. I don't think you can trust her offense. When she comes in it is 5 on 4. Maybe she should have been put in maybe not. Not worth fretting over.

Reaction Score
defensively Coombs is the best that he has at the guard position...no reason she couldn't have given CD a breather in that game....as pointed out earlier, Coombs also a very good rebounder and might have helped on the defensive boards a bit where UConn was getting destroyed...

Well, if he doesn't trust them now then when? This was the perfect opportunity for C & O to experience the realness of the Tourn.-- a la, win or die. Unless he knows something (and he does!!), I cannot see him/Uconn advancing playing only 5 for 40-mins. Buffalo was, surprisingly, a very good team. With a decent tall(er) front court player they would really be a difficult out for many teams. I had to look them only to find that they are a SUNY-school (not a priv.sch). I bet you that the team lacked top 30 or higher players coming out of HS. How many #1 recruits we count! My thinking is that he wanted the 5 to figure out how to control and win a game without falling into panic. There will be more of these-- UCLA, for ex., and they will have to figure it out. And Dangerfield must know by now that she is options 1, 2, 3 . +-- no one in front or behind her. Play smart and don't get cute. Or, has DT has been quoted as saying-- 'don't be so humble, you are not that good.'

Reaction Score
Where do you people come up with your information? Do you even have anything real as far as information before you post? Or do you just make sh-- up as you go along? Reading this board and peoples opinions on why players do not player is just getting too tiresome and annoying. Stop making assumptions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Where do you people come up with your information? Do you even have anything real as far as information before you post? Or do you just make sh-- up as you go along? Reading this board and peoples opinions on why players do not player is just getting too tiresome and annoying. Stop making assumptions.
Please try and be a little more specific. I don't agree with some of the opinions that are written here but I don't think anyone is making stuff up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m jumping into this one late. I recognize that none of us know what Geno knows and that Mikayla doesn’t add much to the offensive side of the game. But like many, I was baffled that she didn’t get at least some PT for several reasons.

Crystal did not have one of her best games, in part because she was chasing Dillard all over the court on defense. Crystal actually did a reasonably good job defending Dillard through about 1 1/2 qtrs. But like most great scorers, Dillard is relentless and she started to find a rhythm. With fouls mounting up on both Christyn and Crystal, and Crystal struggling on offense, Mikayla would have been a nice change up to throw at Dillard.

IMO, Mikayla’s ability to face guard an opponent is exceptional, and her combination of length, hops and quickness make her a superior man-to-man defender than Crystal. I also believe that Mikayla had earned Geno’s confidence with her defensive intensity during the last month of the season.

Finally, I had hoped to see Mikayla on Durr some if UConn and Louisville meet again in the Elite 8. If Mikayla had demonstrated the ability to slow down a great scorer like Dillard, I think there would be a strong possibility of her getting an opportunity to match up with Durr should the rematch happen. However, based on the Buffalo game, I seriously doubt we will see a Durr/Coombs matchup.

Reaction Score
defensively Coombs is the best that he has at the guard position...no reason she couldn't have given CD a breather in that game....as pointed out earlier, Coombs also a very good rebounder and might have helped on the defensive boards a bit where UConn was getting destroyed...
Charlie, echoing your thoughts. My opinion on why UConn sagged at end could have been that several were gassed. Hate the feedback that 18-19 year old women shouldn't get tired. Sometimes game conditions just cause it to happen. Geno not giving even a few minutes of rest an old discussion but even he says you need to match strategy to the game.

Reaction Score
Crystal has a huge workload when we face a perimeter scorer like Dillard. She was tired and she started reaching instead of moving. It would be perfect if Mikayla could spell her. I see it as a trade off, though. Crystal runs the offense and keeps the floor spaced so that Pheesa can perform her magic inside. With double teams coming off Mikayla, our inside game gets bogged down. If we were hitting well from the perimeter, Geno may have risked it, but Meghan was off and Lou and Crystal got worn down by the half.

The great thing about Meghan’s game was she kept shooting and working, so Buffalo kept respecting her. That allowed us room to maneuver in the paint.

Reaction Score
[MD#12Fan -QUOTE] Anything is better than last night. That was putrid!

Seriously?? Anything?? Try on a loss for size and revisit your post.
I think it is a little over the top. Have a Snickers.

Reaction Score
3) When the games get tight Geno goes with those he trusts. There isn't high trust with Coombs down and maybe from Walker on down but he has no singular choice. Geno in past years had to option to use upperclass people when in tight situations.--replay on Ruko, ESPN no tape required.
Here is where we are folks:

1. Pheesa - reliable and dependable superstar. The only player who wants the ball and will deliver points at critical moments.

2. Katy - determined, gutsy player who when healthy, can do it all; Score from distance, mid-range, and on the drive or fast break. A top rebounder and battler. But she is hampered by her back injury. It has slowed her down and diminished her stamina. Thus, she is playing better early int gamers, than late.

3. Dangerfield - one of the top point guards in the nation. But not clearly and indisputably the " best." She gets no rest and, though in peak condition, has to be impacted to some degree. Can, and does , have off games from time to time. No one can replace her.

4. Walker - a vastly improved player from last season. A fine rebounder and has shown the willingness, and ability, to hit from distance at key moments. Can make sloppy errors, such as missing put backs that are wide open. Drives to the hoop cleverly and with no fear.

5. Williams - a developing star, but with lingering freshman fears. Needs to be fearless, confident, smart and brilliant to get this team over "humps." Has not done that very often. Developing beautifully, but upside remains vast.

6. Olivia - not " there " yet, folks. She is not going to change our fortune this season. We are hoping for too much, too soon. She is much better than at the season's start. But not that much better. Will not be a difference maker against experienced " Bigs,"

No one else will play, unless circumstances force Geno's hand ( fouls, injury ). Significant minutes from anyone at this point, spells disaster.

We can lose to anyone now. In my view, a good UCONN game gets us the the elite 8. I don't see going further than that.

Reaction Score

No one else will play, unless circumstances force Geno's hand ( fouls, injury ). Significant minutes from anyone at this point, spells disaster.

We can lose to anyone now. In my view, a good UCONN game gets us the the elite 8. I don't see going further than that.

somebody else (Coombs) better play a few minutes to give CD, CW a breather otherwise we're going to have a repeat of last year...........

Reaction Score

1. Pheesa - reliable and dependable superstar. The only player who wants the ball and will deliver points at critical moments.

2. Katy - determined, gutsy player who when healthy, can do it all; Score from distance, mid-range, and on the drive or fast break. A top rebounder and battler. But she is hampered by her back injury. It has slowed her down and diminished her stamina. Thus, she is playing better early int gamers, than late.

3. Dangerfield - one of the top point guards in the nation. But not clearly and indisputably the " best." She gets no rest and, though in peak condition, has to be impacted to some degree. Can, and does , have off games from time to time. No one can replace her.

4. Walker - a vastly improved player from last season. A fine rebounder and has shown the willingness, and ability, to hit from distance at key moments. Can make sloppy errors, such as missing put backs that are wide open. Drives to the hoop cleverly and with no fear.

5. Williams - a developing star, but with lingering freshman fears. Needs to be fearless, confident, smart and brilliant to get this team over "humps." Has not done that very often. Developing beautifully, but upside remains vast.

6. Olivia - not " there " yet, folks. She is not going to change our fortune this season. We are hoping for too much, too soon. She is much better than at the season's start. But not that much better. Will not be a difference maker against experienced " Bigs,"

Not much to disagree with, nice analysis. I suggested in Dec that Uconn may get to the Elite 8. Luck will get UC there and maybe one more but???
4 and 6 above. 4. Walker missing put backs is playing too fast and wanting it too much.
6. ONO, isn't there. No doubt. With the right teams even in the NCAA tourney she could be an asset. If she keeps her hands up and only make selective opportunities to block a shot she may not foul. But there is alway : use her 5 fouls and let her intimidate the opponent as long as she isn't hurting the team or not helping them win. Fouls with ONO can be used, if used when ahead.
CW, when she makes up her mind is unstopable. Geno is the driver of this bus and needs to sit her down before games and tell her she MUST takeover. That is hard when the ball is usually being delivered to Napheesa.
Someone offered that at time hold KLS out of the game, the team seemed to play better without her. Subjective.

Reaction Score
somebody else (Coombs) better play a few minutes to give CD, CW a breather otherwise we're going to have a repeat of last year......
I would agree. Geno being Geno in big games rarely goes beyond the top 6, with the current group it becomes 5.
In the Buffalo game, when no one was stopping Dillard and one other, it was time to try if only for 30 second someone like Coombs, she also had fouls to waste.
When you are sinking even driftwood is a life saver

Reaction Score
12 free throws and a couple of wide open 3s that wouldn’t fall. This easily could’ve been a blowout, but Buffalo got lucky some things just weren’t happening for UConn.
Well coached teams like Buffalo sometimes make things _not happen and are responsible for the 3's that didn't fall. This team (UC) when pressured and the opponent triple teams Uc's most effective option some times loses focus and the missing shots become a norm. Psychology is great player in close tight games.
This missing shots and not defending well has happened 3 or more times this late season.
I'm watching Felisha Legette-jack is a terrific person and an integral part of the Buffalo team. She loves those kids, speaks strongly from her heart. If I'm arrested, I want her to defend me--dedication. Again, when/if Geno retires; I vote for her..

Reaction Score
Please try and be a little more specific. I don't agree with some of the opinions that are written here but I don't think anyone is making stuff up.
Count on you for the higher ground.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder over coaching can be negatively effect a player.
I look at ONO sometimes and her hands were still up instead of rebounding. :(

Reaction Score
I couldn't believe that UConn couldn't contain her. How many times have we seen UConn limit an opponent's top scorer? Not so last night. No one could defend Dillard and if Auriemma thought that Coombs could he would have put her in the game.
This group does not have the defensive stoppers that they had in years past (Nurse, Gabby, Jefferson, Stewart, et al).

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This group does not have the defensive stoppers that they had in years past (Nurse, Gabby, Jefferson, Stewart, et al).
Actually, I believe that Dillard had either 2 or 4 points after the first quarter. She didn't start scoring until UConn changed its defense. The initial defense of trapping near mid-court seemed to be aimed at taking Dillard out of the game, and it did that. Unfortunately, in the second quarter after Buffalo got too many offensive rebounds and players started getting into foul trouble, that defensive approach had to be ended.

You are correct that in another year, Kia or Gabby or Moriah would have just face-guarded Dillard and taken her out of the game that way, without the need to distort the rest of the defense. As Geno has said from the beginning of the year, that is a missing dimension on this year's team. But as Kara Lawson noted during the broadcast, this should be a better-shooting offensive team, especially from distance, than last year's. Gabby was hardly better at jump shooting than Mikayla, whereas every single one of this year's starters is capable of hitting shots from anywhere. However, if they don't do that, then this team is vulnerable. That is not news.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder over coaching can be negatively effect a player. I look at ONO sometimes and her hands were still up instead of rebounding. :(
You have a very good point. It all part of the staff's process of breaking down to build up. In HS liv could average 12 rebounds per game and never have to keep her hands up. At UCONN she is not going to play if she puts her hands down. So she keeps them up and misses out on a few rebounds. Same thing with her offense, right now she is getting stripped trying to get the ball up where it needs to be. It will eventually come together when the fundamentals become second nature.

Reaction Score
I think there needs to be an end to the bogus contact fouls, where the defensive player has her arms vertical and the offensive player jumps into her. As well as 5 fouls and you are out, make it 6 fouls.

Also, bring back the one and one free throw.

I don’t think the 1x1 free throws is a good idea
I think there needs to be an end to the bogus contact fouls, where the defensive player has her arms vertical and the offensive player jumps into her. As well as 5 fouls and you are out, make it 6 fouls.

Also, bring back the one and one free throw.

Don’t think the 1x1 free throws is a good idea. More fouling hoping they miss one. So 1point instead of 2. I hope I’m expressing it clearly enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom