News and Insights on the Sun's Draft Decision | The Boneyard

News and Insights on the Sun's Draft Decision

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
This Ned Griffen article in The Day offers great insights.
Sun take Duke guard Lexie Brown ninth at WNBA Draft

Others
Sun select Duke's Brown 9th in WNBA draft

Connecticut Sun Pass On Nurse, Select Lexie Brown, Deal For New Haven's Bria Holmes

Right after the trade, another poster wondered if the Holmes deal might have some impact on the Sun's draft choice. Apparently it had the effect of tipping the scales to Lexie just enough in Miller's mind. No way to know how this turns out in the long run, but Miller has shown guts and integrity in this choice.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The poor Sun franchise has to have a press memo every time they pass on an available UConn player in the draft. I mean I know it's an unwritten rule that all eligible UCONN players must be taken as the top picks in every draft and anyone not doing so risks their own perils of BY faithful...

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed about Brown was how poised she seemed compared to some of the other draft picks. The second article also makes some good sense about the Holmes move. To have a player who wants to be in CT is priceless, to paraphrase.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The poor Sun franchise has to have a press memo every time they pass on an available UConn player in the draft. I mean I know it's an unwritten rule that all eligible UCONN players must be taken as the top picks in every draft and anyone not doing so risks their own perils of BY faithful...
Unwritten? I pretty sure it is not.

Reaction Score
No rule as such. You might just call it some solid, time-tested advice....that if you want a player coming out of college who is use to be continually in the spotlight and thrives, or a player whose coaching has brought out the best of her talents to an extra degree or a player who handles herself in professional manner and who you can be proud of whatever the environment and circumstances .......you can’t go too far wrong in choosing a Husky!!!!

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed about Brown was how poised she seemed compared to some of the other draft picks. The second article also makes some good sense about the Holmes move. To have a player who wants to be in CT is priceless, to paraphrase.

She is a grad student at one of the Top 25 universities in the country. No one else in the first round has academic credentials that even come close to that. Geno was incredibly complimentary of her when UConn played Duke in the tournament. The two teams that drafted a point guard ahead of her may end up regretting those decisions. Intellect really means something at that position.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One thing I had forgotten about until just now.... is that Brown will be reunited with former Terp teammates Thomas and Jones.... Thomas was a Senior when Brown was a freshman..... and Jones came in with Brown as freshmen. Interesting :D

psconn

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, good point.... Turtle Dookie. :p

psconn

Reaction Score
Seriously though, she will have great support on a very close knit team and if she plays well, even those fans that hated the pick will start to come around. #TeamLexie. :cool:

Reaction Score
As a U Conn wbb fan one has to love everything that Kia brings to the team and the floor every time she steps on it. I think Lexi Brown is now and will be a better pro player than Kia. She has a speed and quickness that one can't develop or get just through hard work. Obviously her educational background and basketball IQ is hard to match. Growing up the daughter of a very good NBA pro guard, means she's lived it her whole life. Kia obviously comes from a very athletic family as well but not quite the same basketball pedigree. She's a good shooter and probably not as good a 3 point shooter as Kia, but most of Kia's shots she's wide open because of the way the U Conn offense moves the ball. She can and does create her own shot and that ability translates even better at the pro level.
Both play excellent defense and Kia might be slightly better as no one outworks her. But here again Lexi's quickness and anticipation helps her.
I'm sure this was a very difficult and gutsy choice for the coach and GM Miller and many would have gone the safe route, with the benefit of the extra fans Kia would bring and the pushback against his choice.
Ultimately winning and winning championships is most important, and usually that brings fans too.
Kia ended up the next choice and in a wonderful spot for her being able to be guided somewhat by their GM, Katie Smith an all time great player.
Kudos to both and time will tell how this plays out.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
As a Connecticut Sun fan I love the choice. Really think Sun can take it all this year. Love the coach too.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I rarely do anything with facebook.... but i went onto a few CT Sun facebook pages to gauge the reactions to the draft. I probably shouldnt have done that :oops:

psconn

Reaction Score
I rarely do anything with facebook.... but i went onto a few CT Sun facebook pages to gauge the reactions to the draft. I probably shouldnt have done that :oops:

It's discouraging at times, but the way I chose to read it, the remarks weren't anti-Lexie... more pro-Kia. No one is saying that Lexie is a bad player. I have come to the conclusion that both players ended up in the right place.

Lexie will be on a tight, supportive squad and will learn the ropes from Jas, an All-Star guard and Duke alum who's game is similar to hers. She will be surrounded by the familiar faces with AT and Bri Jones. We needed a back up point not another 2 guard no matter how beloved. That means she has a defined role to grow into. If she performs well, she'll win many of those fans over, and the rest will either not attend, or go buy Liberty tickets. Obviously, the key is her development. She can't be another Rachel Banham type pick.

Kia is big and strong and is a capable shooter. very mature and willing to learn. She enters a virtual UConn alumni squad and has Katie Smith for a coach. Katie Smith was a big strong, smart shooting guard who knows every veteran trick in the book. Kia will suck that up like a sponge. If she is going to be a first line WNBA player, her game will probably look a lot like Katie's. #TeamLexie #SunSational2018

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom