Newark Star-Ledger: Big 12-Big East Merger Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We're a special kind of screwed, kids.

Reaction Score
Hypothetically, can Pitt/'Cuse re-neg on the move to the ACC if, at the end of the day, the Big XII doesn't fall apart and no one else expands at this time? Not saying they would or should but just wondering.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I'd call it conjecture until Texas concedes to OUs demands and wags it little tail
-------------------------------------------------------------------

TCU, reluctant as it now appears to be in joining a weakened Big East, would not be a candidate for the Big 12, the league official said.

"Texas really wants to stay in the Big 12 and they don’t want TCU," he said.

When it appeared the Big 12 might lose as many as four schools and that Rutgers and Connecticut were looking elsewhere, the Big 12 and Big East discussed a possible merger.

That merger died from lack of mutual interest, with Pernetti in dicated earlier in the day that geography was a major stumbling block.

Reaction Score
Well we certainly need the catholic schools now don't we. Central Florida and East Carolina don't look so bad now either. Villanova you're in too. Can we rule out UMASS to the Big East?

Get ready for a raid from the Big 12. UGH!

Reaction Score
Says that it was dead due to lack of interest all around. If true, that doesn't mean it's permanently dead.

Reaction Score
There is no insight in this article except telling us that the conference meeting broke up at 9:15.

Reaction Score
From my understanding the complete merger is dead, but a play on words might be made to think that doesn't necessarily mean that the big 12 or big east (less likely) will attempt to grab a university or two.

Reaction Score
I might be in the minority but I'd prefer "waiting it out" over merging with the Big 12 leftovers anyway.

If we're not in the "Top 4" group (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Pac) I'd rather salvage some local rivalries and keep the all Eastern flavor. I still think ultimately we have a good shot at the B10 or ACC, and if not we can hopefully hold everything else together and pick up a few more East coast schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The merger is only dead while Texas continues to waste everyone's time. The Big 12 can't move until they know where Texas is. The rest of Texahoma may not have the votes to go Pac 12, which should make life in the Big 12 peachy going forward, since Texas is effectively holding the league hostage.

I don't have any great plans for the Big East in this scenario. Keep the hybrid, add Houston for all sports, Temple and UMass for football only while we tread water? Upgrading Villanova is out of the question at this point.

Reaction Score
I'm still somewhat convinced all of this stuff out of Texas and OU is posturing for the Pac 12 to accept them with better terms. Let's also not forget there is that wild card scenario where Texas and ND join the B1G. In this scenario, they'd each have to amend their current TV deals, but the money from the BTN would go up so high that they just might make all of that money right back. Not to mention how much more the B1G's deals with ESPN and CBS would be. Don't sleep on that scenario.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Add East Carolina and UCF.

Football: TCU, WVA, UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincy, USF, East Carolina, Central Florida
Hoops: Football schools, plus the catholics.

If that's what happens, it wouldn't be ideal, but as long as we have TCU and WVA we will still have a BCS bid (if Big12 stays alive I think it would postpone superconferences and a playoff).

Reaction Score
Add East Carolina and UCF.

Football: TCU, WVA, UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincy, USF, East Carolina, Central Florida
Hoops: Football schools, plus the catholics.

If that's what happens, it wouldn't be ideal, but as long as we have TCU and WVA we will still have a BCS bid (if Big12 stays alive I think it would postpone superconferences and a playoff).
After all this if the football stays with the catholics in a hybird conference any football school that signs on to that deal deserves what they get in the future. It is time to walk away from them for good!

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe college presidents can create so much drama.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
After all this if the football stays with the catholics in a hybird conference any football school that signs on to that deal deserves what they get in the future. It is time to walk away from them for good!

Why? Is our football value going to automatically go up by dropping 8 basketball schools? No. Would the basketball side of contract go down by dropping the basketball schools go down? Yes.

What's your rationale?

Reaction Score

You can not be more wrong. If the football program is destined for a mediocre conference we need to at least make sure the basketball program stays in a top tier conference, that conference is the Big East with the Catholic schools. We need them more than they need us.

Reaction Score
I'm still somewhat convinced all of this stuff out of Texas and OU is posturing for the Pac 12 to accept them with better terms. Let's also not forget there is that wild card scenario where Texas and ND join the B1G. In this scenario, they'd each have to amend their current TV deals, but the money from the BTN would go up so high that they just might make all of that money right back. Not to mention how much more the B1G's deals with ESPN and CBS would be. Don't sleep on that scenario.

It is a leverage play against the Pac12. Pac12 Presidents did not want the Okies alone. They probably figured Okie had nowhere else to go anyway so might as well ensure landing Texas. Now, though, the Pac12 is taking a huge risk because if the Big12 reforms, Texas may change its mind in the future about what conference it wants to join. Now is the time for the Pac12. Be bold, accept Okie and OSU and force Texas's hand.

Given this refusal, last year's move to add Colorado and Utah makes absolutely no sense. You're not going to add Okie but you're adding Utah?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are a lot of reports from the west coast, basically every single college sports writer from that region, that the votes for expansion are not there, and that Scott is pushing this on his own.

Reaction Score
There are presidents like Fr Harrington of St. John's who think the football schools should sit in the back and do what they are told by he original hoops schools. He thought he fotball schools (even the original ones) were beneath the original hoops schools and a nusance. How do I know this, I my shoulder operated on by a well respected NYC orthopedic surgeon who was also a surgeon for St John athletics. This surgeon and I had many conversations about this during the 4 plus months I was a pt. This was during the first round of defections in 2004...the surgeon told me that eventually their would be a split. That time is now. We don't need them as much as they need us. I'd take ND as a non-football playing member...but the rest of them no way. Aside from their being located in metropolitan areas...what is the difference between athletic departments at St John's, Georgetown, and Fairfield University?

Reaction Score
There are a lot of reports from the west coast, basically every single college sports writer from that region, that the votes for expansion are not there, and that Scott is pushing this on his own.

Gamesmanship. It's about LHN. They don't like the deal so far.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think the Pac 12 Presidents want to expand, period. Any expansion would have been defensive, and with Texas being such a pain in the butt, the decision got easier.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hypothetically, can Pitt/'Cuse re-neg on the move to the ACC if, at the end of the day, the Big XII doesn't fall apart and no one else expands at this time? Not saying they would or should but just wondering.
If it were us instead of one of them would you believe renegging would be a good idea?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't think the Pac 12 Presidents want to expand, period. Any expansion would have been defensive, and with Texas being such a pain in the butt, the decision got easier.
I think they got tired of having to wait to see (for a second time in two years) if UT and OU were really going to go through with it (move to the P-12).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom