New York Times: Courageous Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New York Times: Courageous Huskies

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First year of independent football, a state health department that wanted to take everything to the 'nth degree, a sports department that must close a large financial gap which had just chose to cut sports in June and the general COVid unknowns that surrounding everything back in July combined to nix the season. It wasnt one thing, it was the culmination of many many things.

I don't think the program has been damaged nor has it particularly benefited from the decision, but any conclusions on that front should wait until we have played perhaps 6 games in 2021. If Edsall engineers a 5 or 6 win season he will be celebrated and if we dont some will point to the 2020 canceled season as part of the story (emphasis on some).

Looking ahead, I'm a little concerned Edsall wont be able to conduct a real spring program. Just look at the way it has gone for MBB. I dont see the on campus health situation improving much between now and say next August. Fingers crossed.

Maybe UConn becomes a trendsetter with all the cost savings and team building. Other programs can now just cancel a season to concentrate on practicing and weight lifting and come back a year later.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The New York Times is garbage. The NFL played their entire season and college football played the vast majority of scheduled games. The only question is whether the decision not to play will hurt the program or not.

NFL isn't a comparison, due to, you know, being paid and all.

Cute to ignore the massive number of cancelled games, especially in the postseason. When you nuke 1/3 of your schedule, it makes the denominator look much better.

Reaction Score
I don't see that an NYT analysis that says that UConn's position when making a decision to play is different than the Big Ten's...as negative....I think that it is rather, a fact.

It would be a financial burden for UConn to play football...and without the big media bucks to reward the play.

That had to play in...it is what it is...

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Saving lives and avoiding unknown long-term health issues for young people trumps competition.
How many lives were lost due C19 directly tied 2020 college football games/attendance? I recall 1 young man did, but I thought he & his team were not practicing. Wonder what does the science says now?

Curious to see if 23 positive tests was higher or lower than the average for teams that played in 2020.

I know that 20 year old me would definitely attending "non-socially distanced" gathering with no games scheduled for another 10 months - no way I am staying in my dorm room 15 straight Saturday nights. I would more likely keep quarantine if there were games approaching and my actions would put my & others work in jeopardy.

Last edited:

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
BTW, there are a lot of haters writing trash about UCONN in the NYT comments section. I just shared my two cents, including a prediction about hoops this year. I encourage others to do the same so we get more positive than negative comments about UCONN attached to the article.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I didn't really enjoy watching football this season. It just wasn't the same without fans at games....and it's hard to say who was the best team when rosters were fluctuating week to week due to covid issues. Add in the ever changing schedule, and I don't have a problem with UConn skipping this season.

Same thing with hoops...it's been hard to enjoy the season. Yes...I enjoy the games when they happen...but do I enjoy this season as much as usual? Nope.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
We did it!!!!!!! National champions BABY!!!!!!!

Columbus Crew Win GIF by Major League Soccer

Reaction Score
"Good day to you" sounds like it is a polite rephrasing of the Irish version..."feck off"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Having anticipated this months ago, I designed and procured a whole bunch of custom UConn Football 2020-21 "Undefeated" National Championship rings made for my friends and Family.

I have like 6 left if anyone would like them ???
Screenshot_20210104-193457~2.png

Reaction Score
I agree. Some sort of football season is much better than no season. Life goes on.

I wish UConn had done what just about every other program did and decided to play at least a few games. Liberty, Middle Tennessee (they played Army), Army and a rescheduled UMass could have been doable. Those would have all been home games too, and UConn could have won a couple.
I know two players that play for Army- I know them and their families very well. Believe me when I say the consensus amongst the players was that this entire season was a shxt show for them and they wished they didn’t have to play in the meaningless bowl game either. The uncertainty of it all and having to compete under abnormal conditions (distancing during practice and coming off quarantine and isolation) was mentally draining. I know three other players (FBS), not as well as the Army kids and they felt the same way- It was a waste. No fans, isolation on the road and in some cases not even dressing in locker rooms.

Teams opted out of bowl games and players opted out of the entire season. Anyone who thinks this season proceeded remarkably well are sadly mistaken and clearly just happy for the entertainment. UConn did the right thing by their players- no matter what their motivation was.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Revisionism at its best.
How can a real-time comment be revisionism? Especially when it echoes previous comments from the same poster.

Reaction Score
I know two players that play for Army- I know them and their families very well. Believe me when I say the consensus amongst the players was that this entire season was a shxt show for them and they wished they didn’t have to play in the meaningless bowl game either. The uncertainty of it all and having to compete under abnormal conditions (distancing during practice and coming off quarantine and isolation) was mentally draining. I know three other players (FBS), not as well as the Army kids and they felt the same way- It was a waste. No fans, isolation on the road and in some cases not even dressing in locker rooms.

Teams opted out of bowl games and players opted out of the entire season. Anyone who thinks this season proceeded remarkably well are sadly mistaken and clearly just happy for the entertainment. UConn did the right thing by their players- no matter what their motivation was.
If it is the right thing. Isn't it also the right thing for men's and women's basketball?

What's the difference?

Reaction Score

"We had guys in tears," Monken said. "We pulled off the biggest wins of these seniors' career, they just won the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy back, that's going to be their legacy, and they're looking forward to playing in a bowl game one time together, before they go off in the United States Army, and we're sitting here telling them, 'Sorry, guys, you can't play.'

After Monken broke the bowl news, Army's seniors met and agreed to remain on campus and continue practicing until Thursday morning, in case another participating bowl team cannot play because of COVID-19 tests or other reasons. If Army can't find a bowl spot, players will be dismissed to return home for the first time since May. But if a bowl spot opens up, Army will be ready. Athletic director Mike Buddie issued a statement Sunday saying the academy would "continue to fight to get them that opportunity."

Reaction Score
One of the outcomes I've been hoping for from this season is a reduction of about 10-15 bowl games.

The biggest benefit of bowl games over the past decade is the extra practice time for the team and the ability to get true freshmen and redshirt freshmen more reps to help gameplan winter conditioning and spring practice. Actual games are meh to me.

I'd be happy with about 25 bowl games max which includes the 3 CFP games.
The people who want less bowls games have huge dumps in their pants. Who wants less football? Other then UConn obviously.

The kids love them. They provide great experience. A chance to play on national TV as the only game on usually. What inconvenience do they provide to you? Other then just another thing to complain about?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If it is the right thing. Isn't it also the right thing for men's and women's basketball?

What's the difference?
Money

Reaction Score

What's the difference?
I’ve made a comment concerning the football team. I’ll let you decide what you think should happen for the basketball team although I have my opinion.

But this is a football forum so trying to stay in the lines here

Reaction Score
"We had guys in tears," Monken said. "We pulled off the biggest wins of these seniors' career, they just won the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy back, that's going to be their legacy, and they're looking forward to playing in a bowl game one time together, before they go off in the United States Army, and we're sitting here telling them, 'Sorry, guys, you can't play.'

After Monken broke the bowl news, Army's seniors met and agreed to remain on campus and continue practicing until Thursday morning, in case another participating bowl team cannot play because of COVID-19 tests or other reasons. If Army can't find a bowl spot, players will be dismissed to return home for the first time since May. But if a bowl spot opens up, Army will be ready. Athletic director Mike Buddie issued a statement Sunday saying the academy would "continue to fight to get them that opportunity."
Sounds good. I stand by what I said though.

As I recall, Norvell at FSU made some comments regarding his team (in a different arena) that got refuted by players no? Dressed up statements like this happen all the time. Unless these players and families were lying to me (no reason to) I would like to believe them over a self serving quote by a HC and AD. And I doubt these academy kids would come out publicly and refute this narrative. Probably not worth it.

Just reporting what I heard though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom