New York City short vacation recommendations | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New York City short vacation recommendations

Reaction Score
Taking the family to Manhattan next week for a couple days. The kids have never been to the big city and figured they should at least see it once so they know what a real city looks like (we live near Boston so they've been to Boston a lot but it's not like New York). Looking for some recommendations on things to do since I know we have some city residents on here. Planning to stay in Manhattan so want to stick around there for things to do. So far only have Top of the Rock or Empire State Building (leaning towards Top of the Rock), Statue of Liberty, American Museum of Natural History (although the kids said they hate museums!), broadway show at night (probably Lion King), and maybe the water taxi to go to 9/11 Memorial and see the city from the water. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Remember we're only going to be there for a couple days.

Looking for a recommendation of a hotel to stay at in mid-town maybe around Times Square but doesn't have to be. Was looking for a suite type place so the kids can sleep in the bedroom and we don't have to go to sleep when they do. Would consider one room with 2 queen size beds.

Eating. The wife wants to go to Little Italy one night. Any suggestions? I know nothing about Little Italy. Anywhere else for dinner that's good food but kind of casual since we have the kids and nobody is dressing up? Might go to Carnegie Deli after or before Top of the Rock. It's famous and the kids have heard about it so figured needed to do it. Any other New York restaurant "institutions" we need to take them to?

Whatever you have let me know. Thanks.
Try the Edison hotel

Reaction Score
If you like getting served by Croatians pretending to be Italian. The italian spots on Mulberry these days are a lot like the italian restaurant at EPCOT. Best meal you can have on mulberry right now is the tasting menu at Torrisi but I wouldn't take an 11 year old there.
Il Cortile on Mulberry St is still outstanding.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I imagine Little Italy has gotten even smaller in the five years since the OP posted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom