New Year's Thought | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Year's Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that we don't have a good relationship with one of the best HS coaches in our state that puts out FBS talent just about every year. What's even more unfortunate is a HS coach in the state of CT has that much pull that it discourages homegrown FBS talent from coming to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Plain and simple the O-line is getting beat to the spot. Whether it's speed, power or technique it still comes down to they are getting beat and until that changes UConn will be lucky to make 6 wins a season. I don't think it's the coaching. They need to recruit better linemen coming in so that Balis and Cummings have more to work with coming out of the gate. Sure, every once in a while you can mold a kid into a top 25 caliber player but your not gonna create 5 or 6 of them at a time recruiting archers from Denmark. Now... of course there's a chance that Knappe will grow into his position for the upcoming season but that's all it is...a chance it might happen. And the ones that are good in New England won't go to UConn. What do you think the chances are of the best linemen in CT high schools this year signing up with the Huskies? I'm specifically talking about Lucas Niang.

Other than liking to run 2 TEs and an H-Back, I'm thinking that the recruits all of those TE types with the idea that some might transition to O lineman some day. Big guys with athleticism. It is what Bud Wilkinson did when building the Oklahoma program in the 1950s. He recruit a whole mess of HS quarterbacks and converted some to O linemen.

Reaction Score
Well, I watch a lot of football. I see lots of teams using their lesser talented personnel in much more effective ways. Look, I'm not saying we have Heisman candidates but let me ask you this: do you believe that if we put our talent in the hands of Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, David Shaw, heck even Tom Herman, we would play better with more imagination and offensive punch--or do you think our talent is simply deficient and immune from greater success via a different/better coaching philosophy and play calling scheme? Don't get hung up on my mention of coaching legends. I'm saying there are several out there who would love our talent and use it more productively, more excitingly, fan friendlier, and produce more wins. Am I wrong?

This is a reasonable post.

So if what you are saying is that we have some great talent and a lot of "good" talent, and that our coaching staff has yet to maximize the talent we have on the roster? I don't think you will get a lot of argument from anyone. Even those that think you are crazy agree that the staff has work to do.

The problem is that when you make the blanket statements you make about how good the talent is - when it is clear that our OL can't block, etc. - it just sounds silly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is a reasonable post.

So if what you are saying is that we have some great talent and a lot of "good" talent, and that our coaching staff has yet to maximize the talent we have on the roster? I don't think you will get a lot of argument from anyone. Even those that think you are crazy agree that the staff has work to do.

The problem is that when you make the blanket statements you make about how good the talent is - when it is clear that our OL can't block, etc. - it just sounds silly.

And would Nick Saban or Jim Harbaugh be better? Um no kidding.

If that is the standard you are wasting your time following UConn football.

This premise that anything that goes wrong because of coaching is what's ridiculous. If you gave Diaco Alabama's roster and Saban the UConn roster.... what the hell do you think is going to happen if they play.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Using coaches like that as a standard is like me comparing my wife to Gisele and telling her she doesn't make enough money nor look good enough in a bikini.

UConn isn't Alabama and I'm not Tom Brady.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you gave Diaco Alabama's roster and Saban the UConn roster.... what the hell do you think is going to happen if they play.
One thing I confident of is that after the game a number of boneyarders would complain that Diaco didn't throw the ball enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom