new year prediction | The Boneyard

new year prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
when sdsu leaves for no penalty and smu and uh follow to the mwc with who ever else, the same select group here will have panties all in a bunch.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't the Big East do a conterstrike at this point. Go to UNLV, Fresno St, New Mexico (and maybe even San Jose St) and convince them that this new deal is lopsided in favor of Boise...and by staying in the MW they will just make Boise richer at their expense. Much better for them to join our new conference in all sports with majority of games kept within divisions. Would become the #3 conference in BB and #6 in football. That won't be the case if they stay in the MW....so overall revenues should be better for them if they leave the MW (and Boise and the MW would be in have trouble getting a playoff spot given what would be left of the MW, which would be less competitive than the MAC).

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
It's about money.

I think part of the problem is UConn. Us. We want out. That's not a confidence builder. If Aresco had a solid group, he'd have made a good deal in Sept. Instead, we've got a mess. And, we can't tie down $$$ despite a good market for it.

Reaction Score
@manill mike, I've thought of this scenario all day since the Boise news broke officially. Unfortunately Pudge is right. We've been a big part of the problem. Hopefully with good reason when the music stops.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i have gone thru the options so many times in mash ups and bitched about adding west teams for all of the summer months. remember the threads on unlv and crew that got beat up by the clows here? we had a choice to make, we could have killed the mwc or they are going to live becuase the big east teams left are going elsewhere. we as a group let things go, pretty obvious to me whats going on. cincy uconn and temple will all have better homes soon maybe even usf to.

the best for everyne involved is if the mwc, the mac and the big south(new conf) all go big like 16 to 20 each.

mwc has 12 with hwa and fball only i think. they can add sdsu/bsu/byu/uh/smu/1 more like utsa or utep or tulsa. then add 2 bball schools and get a ok contract tv wise and play ball

the b10 and sec for sure need atleast 4 teams. lets pretend the b12 isn't adding which would open up more slots. those 4 slots alone get uconn, cincy and temple in somewhere and prob usf. i could possibly see a ecu over usf depending on fsu/miami still in the acc. but nonetheless, for the fball schools to not force agression and kill the mwc means that they all know slots are going to open and they will be getting calls.

big south-ucf, tulane, memphis and ecu are the leaders of this new conf. maybe usf or ecu also. they will pluck the cusa up. maybe odu to the mac and 1 other suprise but thats your big south type league.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The one tactical mistake that Aresco made (and it was a f#$king gigantic one) was the addition of Tulane. It wasn't necessary. Had that addition been one more western team, especially a Mountain West team like Fresno, UNLV, etc., we wouldn't be having these discussions tonight. One could even argue that if Tulane didn't happen, the C-7 might still be here (if you believe the Marquette AD). We were on life support, and in my estimation, Tulane pulled the plug and sat on our chest.

For everything that Aresco understands about tv, he didn't understand the necessity to take away any viable option for Boise to retreat to. It happened to us with TCU (not that we could have taken away the Big12), and now with the broncos...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
while i think tulane is garbage, i dont think tactics wise it was stupid. i think it was on purpose. needed to finally wave the white flag. the adds before that while ugly all had certain potential where the falg couldnt get raised yet. tulane was the final straw. good enough to get the wheels turning. c7 say pc, west schools don't come and the left over big boys being quiet becuase they are gone soon. perfect break up. it allows the few cusa schools that cam before to live and create there own conf. he just put himself in position to be comish of that league if the c7 go elsehwere which they will. thats all.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
while i think tulane is garbage, i dont think tactics wise it was stupid. i think it was on purpose. needed to finally wave the white flag. the adds before that while ugly all had certain potential where the falg couldnt get raised yet. tulane was the final straw. good enough to get the wheels turning. c7 say pc, west schools don't come and the left over big boys being quiet becuase they are gone soon. perfect break up. it allows the few cusa schools that cam before to live and create there own conf. he just put himself in position to be comish of that league if the c7 go elsehwere which they will. thats all.

You're my boy, HFD, but you are smoking some serious $#it if you think that Aresco's plan all along was to have multiple valuable properties hit the road in order to leave UConn, Cincy, and USF with Tulane. It was a grave error in judgment. He let the market argument dominate his thinking (New Orleans) to the point where he forgot the main mission; keep the quality products on board long enough to get the tv deal done...

Reaction Score
It's about money.

I think part of the problem is UConn. Us. We want out. That's not a confidence builder. If Aresco had a solid group, he'd have made a good deal in Sept. Instead, we've got a mess. And, we can't tie down $$$ despite a good market for it.

I understand our instability (along with Cincy, USF and Temple) is a sticking point to potentially new schools being added. However if the "west division" is strong enough (and had a exit clause if the "big 4" left); wouldn't they always have a path back to the MW, or at least be able to still create a conference that would keep their #6 status in football (with the addition of more midwest/west teams like Tulsa, NIU, etc)?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You're my boy, HFD, but you are smoking some serious $#it if you think that Aresco's plan all along was to have multiple valuable properties hit the road in order to leave UConn, Cincy, and USF with Tulane. It was a grave error in judgment. He let the market argument dominate his thinking (New Orleans) to the point where he forgot the main mission; keep the quality products on board long enough to get the tv deal done...

he didn't walk in there thi king this. when he sat down with everyone he found that the only fball schools who gave a were usf, ucf, temple, memphis and then ecu and tulane now. he knew the c7 was gone and that cincy uconn and lville were looking elsewhere. he knew that the west school saw the couple good teams east going elsewhere and they wanted no part of the cusa. they cna play sj and fresno instead of ecu and tulane.

he sees what the future is and its takin ecu, tulane, memphis ucd and maybe others and forming a better cusa basically. u add the teams u want from there but thats what its going to be. there was nothing he could do. he went into meetings for tv contracts and any smart guy wouldd realize quickly espn is with him and going to rip the big east apart. so do whats best for the left over teams in this case its build a new all sports conf in time, just have to wait for things to shake out.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
he didn't walk in there thi king this. when he sat down with everyone he found that the only fball schools who gave a **** were usf, ucf, temple, memphis and then ecu and tulane now. he knew the c7 was gone and that cincy uconn and lville were looking elsewhere. he knew that the west school saw the couple good teams east going elsewhere and they wanted no part of the cusa. they cna play sj and fresno instead of ecu and tulane.

he sees what the future is and its takin ecu, tulane, memphis ucd and maybe others and forming a better cusa basically. u add the teams u want from there but thats what its going to be. there was nothing he could do. he went into meetings for tv contracts and any smart guy wouldd realize quickly espn is ****ing with him and going to rip the big east apart. so do whats best for the left over teams in this case its build a new all sports conf in time, just have to wait for things to shake out.

I don't buy that...not for one second. He was trying to play the New Orleans card, in order to bolster the market argument. It blew up in his face. Everyone knows that we were looking elsewhere, but he knew that since before he left CBS to take the job. That's not his mindset, dude. His mindset was trying to leverage some new kids on the block (i.e., NBCSports) by saying we have quality products (UConn, Boise, Cincy, etc.) and gigantic markets to show them in (Philly, Chicago, NYC, Houston, etc.). He went a reactionary step too far in response to Louisville leaving by grabbing Tulane; an easy addition with a large market.

Then everything went BOOM!...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First, Aresco didn't react to Louisville leaving - when Tulane was invited, Aresco thought UConn was leaving.

Second, Dan is off the duck*ing wall. You can't separate the wheat from the chaff there...there's just no wheat to be found. Ever. Watching you people debate the contents of that dolt's head is painful.

Third, and most importantly, for all intents and purposes, we're not in a conference. We have no idea who's staying, who's going, who might come and who might not. UConn could swear on a stack of bibles that they will never, ever, never, never, ever leave and Aresco wouldn't be closer to nailing down a deal. (And if UConn ever made such a pledge, everyone in Storrs should be frog walked to the nearest stone wall and shot.) There are bigger problems.

At face value, this looks to be a bad product with no history, no reasonable rationale for existing other than sheer desperation and no long term prospects for survival. Why would a network want to commit any money to showing those games? It's a who's who of who cares. Football isn't very good, basketball is the stuff of our nightmares.

UConn hasn't been able to save itself, so it's a little goofy to think that we'd be able to save the Great Four Quadrants Cluster F-ckerence.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
First, Aresco didn't react to Louisville leaving - when Tulane was invited, Aresco thought UConn was leaving.

Second, Dan is off the duck*ing wall. You can't separate the wheat from the chaff there...there's just no wheat to be found. Ever. Watching you people debate the contents of that dolt's head is painful.

Third, and most importantly, for all intents and purposes, we're not in a conference. We have no idea who's staying, who's going, who might come and who might not. UConn could swear on a stack of bibles that they will never, ever, never, never, ever leave and Aresco wouldn't be closer to nailing down a deal. (And if UConn ever made such a pledge, everyone in Storrs should be frog walked to the nearest stone wall and shot.) There are bigger problems.

At face value, this looks to be a bad product with no history, no reasonable rationale for existing other than sheer desperation and no long term prospects for survival. Why would a network want to commit any money to showing those games? It's a who's who of who cares. Football isn't very good, basketball is the stuff of our nightmares.

UConn hasn't been able to save itself, so it's a little goofy to think that we'd be able to save the Great Four Quadrants Cluster F-ckerence.

th

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's about money.

Its kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's about money.

Certainly contributes to undermining any consensus building.

You use analogies in the corporate world. Here's one from my perspective. College athletics is going through its adjustment and readjustment phases similar to the breakup of ATT and the formation of the Baby Bells. Initially the Baby Bells were satisfied with the regions they were assigned and their was a period of quiet. Eventually they began to gobble one another up and push into other areas.

This process is playing out now with college athletics. The players are the media companies, the cable companies, the internet, the various modalities of media, the NCAA, conferences, universities, the various factions within universities, states, and the factions within each state. Everyone is fighting for their own win. Any agreements made between various parties are based on perceived gains and stability for the player. But in no way are any of the agreements considered perfect or permanent.

People who are making flow charts of potential out comes and remaking them as each of the component pieces make changes, are most likely to take advantage of the ever dynamic situation. Those entrenched in one idea and insist on the idea being sacrosanct are looking at things statically instead of dynamically.

I like your thinking and suggestions. But your avatar belies them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My prediction for 2013 is that HFD will join AA, causing the stock prices of every major distillery to plummet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom