New Xavier head coach | The Boneyard

New Xavier head coach

Reaction Score
I liked Melanie Moore. I realize she was 0-20 in conference last year. But I wasn’t under the impression it was her fault. Perhaps I am naïve.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I liked Melanie Moore. I realize she was 0-20 in conference last year. But I wasn’t under the impression it was her fault. Perhaps I am naïve.
It isn't so much naivete as the fact that 4 years - a 24-81 record and 8-60 in the Big East means a change has to be made. It isn't always the coach's fault, but their task is to improve things, which didn't happen.

Reaction Score
Unlike Tara who blasted Stanford men's head basketball coach for their poor record, I don't think we've heard Sean Miller (who does have an outstanding men's team) blast the women's program. Maybe Tara should attend Sean's or Geno's summer program "How to be a great head coach and not lose as many transfers".

Reaction Score
Seems like this part of Ohio is where women's basketball coaches go to die. Both Cincinnati and Xavier receive the bare minimum amount of support from their administration and little or no support from the students and local community.

Reaction Score
I liked Melanie Moore as well. She gave it a great run at Xavier but she is back in Michigan and I get to work the Michigan basketball camps this summer, so I will be bending her ear about the pros and cons of college coaching. As for the other stuff, I am in the camp of giving coaches a little time. Four years at some programs, is never enough time. Sure, some coaches are able to get a program up and running and some coaches might take a little longer to get a program up and running. But Coach Moore is back with the Wolverines.

sun

Reaction Score
So far Xavier doesn't show any outgoing transfers listed in the portal, and they have 2 commitments for 2023.
The players appear to be sticking together which is a good sign.

Reaction Score
Instead of fault, I would use responsibility. Her job is to find BB players that she can make into a competitive team and she obviously was having a difficult time with that. She can now go find an assistance coach job somewhere and learn the things she found out she was lacking in and when she gets her next HC she will be more prepared.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I saw this on the general Board in the coaching vacancies thread.

I think the move was necessary - while you want to give a coach a chance, after 4 years you also want to see progress towards improvement and 0-20 doesn't indicate anything positive in year four, in fact was her worst year, and it wasn't tied to losing players to injury. The one thing in her defense is recruiting in covid years probably stunted her chances early.

She has already gotten hired back at Michigan.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You are/were. :rolleyes: She was brutal in 4 years and showed no improvement. It was time to go....She forced out a lot of the prior players, called them "soft" and made some "interesting" comments for first time coach that had me thinking at the time "what the heck is she doing-achieve something first, then speak". A 4 year Big East Conference record of 8-60 showing no improvement should be cause for being replaced.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I
It's Billi not Bill, and she's definitely a her.

I hope she's able to turn this program around quickly. It would be nice to have another competitive team in the conference. This past year Xavier finished 7-23 / 0-20 under Melanie Moore. Nowhere for this program to go but up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I

I hope she's able to turn this program around quickly. It would be nice to have another competitive team in the conference. This past year Xavier finished 7-23 / 0-20 under Melanie Moore. Nowhere for this program to go but up.

I am wishing coach Chambers all the best at Xavier. Xavier isn't a bad program. They had success when they were in A-10 conference under coach Kevin McGuff (Ohio State coach) and coach Melanie Balcomb (Ohio Dominican).

Reaction Score
I

I just want to know where she [Billi] got the amazing tatoos!!!!

Very sharp!

Reaction Score
I just want to know where she [Billi] got the amazing tatoos!!!!

Very sharp!
They're not her tattoos, that's an overlay on the lower part image...so happens the overlay runs over her arms.

Reaction Score
It's Billi not Bill, and she's definitely a her.
My female coonhound is "BILLIE". As in BILLIE HOLIDAY and BILLIE JEAN KING, not to mention Head Coaches!!
GO BILLI!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom