New UConn WBB Beat Reporter for Courant -> Alexa Philippou | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New UConn WBB Beat Reporter for Courant -> Alexa Philippou

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
“So fun”, is not correct grammar. And everyone uses it now. “Fun” needs a modifier after “so”. But it’s becoming common usage. “It’s fun” is fine. “The Boneyard is fun” is good grammar but we need a life.
Excuse me! Excuse me! I have a life! I'm just persistently self absorbed and caught up in trivialities. Wait...what?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
“So fun”, is not correct grammar. And everyone uses it now. “Fun” needs a modifier after “so”. But it’s becoming common usage. “It’s fun” is fine. “The Boneyard is fun” is good grammar but we need a life.
You may want to review the rules regarding punctuation and quotation marks.

Reaction Score
I prefer the term Dolson units when it comes to height i.e. our newest commit is 6ft 5 or 1 Dolson unit or even better we have a 6 ft 7 commit or 1.02 Dolson units......One can dream..

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
You may want to review the rules regarding punctuation and quotation marks.

Rules? How quaint.

Stylistic preferences may be rules to some, and the MLA Style Guide prefers that punctuation should be inside quotation marks. That is common in academic writing in AE (American English). But hop across the pond, or up north to a Commonwealth nation and you will find that the stylistic preference is to dispense with the archaic American typesetters' habit, and put the commas and other punctuation outside the quotation marks.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Rules? How quaint.

Stylistic preferences may be rules to some, and the MLA Style Guide prefers that punctuation should be inside quotation marks. That is common in academic writing in AE (American English). But hop across the pond, or up north to a Commonwealth nation and you will find that the stylistic preference is to dispense with the archaic American typesetters' habit, and put the commas and other punctuation outside the quotation marks.
In this I frankly prefer the preference of the rest of the English speaking world.

Reaction Score
It is its, not their. Not a great start. However, there were several other places in the first few sentences where she could have screwed up and didn't, so there is hope

Reaction Score
I’d argue that she’s correct.

Since “Courant” a singular noun (even though it’s the name of the entity — it’s still just one entity), that would dictate “its” as the pronoun. If it were a plural noun, you’d use “their”.

I know my English degree is just from the little ole’ University of Great Falls, but that’s what I was taught.
Maybe she thinks of the Courant as a staff of editors, photographers, and reporters and is happy to join them. I spent years on a Daily and I thought of the paper as an us, not an it.

Reaction Score
I prefer the term Dolson units when it comes to height i.e. our newest commit is 6ft 5 or 1 Dolson unit or even better we have a 6 ft 7 commit or 1.02 Dolson units.One can dream..
I am awaiting Dolson 2.0.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom