New UConn Stats Blog | The Boneyard

New UConn Stats Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey guys, I know there have already been a couple threads posted about our site, but I wanted to officially invite you all to check out a new UConn blog I have been working on. It's called UConn By the Numbers and it's a blog dedicated to the statistical analysis of UConn basketball. It's not all going to be stats based, but we're hoping to use the stats angle as a means to differentiate ourselves from some of the other content that's out there.

We've got some advanced player stats as well as statistics by 5-man unit (the different lineup combinations that are playing at a given time), which are not available anywhere else. Today we've got a UConn v. Harvard preview with a stats breakdown of the team's performance, a couple underhanded digs at BC and an interesting look at how Harvard has benefited from their opponent's shooting well below their average from the free throw line this season.

If you like the site, definitely follow us on Twitter (@Uconnbynumbers), or "Like" us on Facebook for site updates.

Also if you guys have any questions or suggestions let me know, or leave a comment on the site. Thanks for checking it out!

Reaction Score
Really enjoy this site. It's hard to start a website and truly offer original content that you won't see anywhere else. You guys seem to have done that.

Reaction Score
Wow.
Do you happen to work for NASA in your spare time?
Good stuff.

Reaction Score
Wow.
Do you happen to work for NASA in your spare time?
Good stuff.

Haha no, not NASA, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I did do a lot of Excel work at my old job, which inspired a lot of this (particularly the 5-man unit stuff).

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Reaction Score
There is an interesting article on CBS sports comparing Walker's first year to Boatright. The sample for boatright is obviously skewed since he's only played 2 games and Walker had to play behind AJ Price and Dyson but Boatright's numbers for the past 2 games are better than Walkers (doesnt mean anything right now). It would be interesting if you did a comparison with a few more games under Boatrights belt against Walker's numbers.

Reaction Score
There is an interesting article on CBS sports comparing Walker's first year to Boatright. The sample for boatright is obviously skewed since he's only played 2 games and Walker had to play behind AJ Price and Dyson but Boatright's numbers for the past 2 games are better than Walkers (doesnt mean anything right now). It would be interesting if you did a comparison with a few more games under Boatrights belt against Walker's numbers.
Are you talking about this Seth Davis article on SI.com where he answers a question about Boatright (page 2, 3rd question)?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/seth_davis/12/07/Syracuse/index.html?sct=cb_t11_a1

Reaction Score
Are you talking about this Seth Davis article on SI.com where he answers a question about Boatright (page 2, 3rd question)?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/seth_davis/12/07/Syracuse/index.html?sct=cb_t11_a1

That's an interesting look at the numbers after only 2 games. I'd love to see how it stacks up with a little bit of a larger sample size. My gut would tell me that Boatright's numbers are slightly inflated right now because he got so much PT against FSU, and then Arkansas press was a perfect matchup for him. That said, to the eye he does look like a more polished player (certainly a more polished shooter) than Kemba Walker.

I understand Seth's points about Kemba's leadership, heart and intangibles. I absolutely love Kemba for those reasons, and I think you can see his legacy at UConn lasting far beyond his years (look at how much Shabazz has picked up from him for instance). That said, I don't think that's necessarily fair to bring into the discussion. Just as the 2 game sample distorts Boatright's numbers, it also distorts our appraisal of his intangible qualities. I'm not saying Boatright will necessarily become the leader Kemba was, I'm just saying it's not fair to say he won't two games into his career.

The other point that I think is missed by these comparisons (Boat to Kemba as a frosh), is that Kemba's career at UConn didn't exactly follow a standard career trajectory. To me, the most defining aspect of Kemba's career was how hard he worked, and consequently how much he improved from his sophomore (really solid, nice player) to junior year (All American superstar). I think the natural tendency is to look at Boatright and say that if he's better than Kemba was as a freshman than he will be better than him as a junior, but that neglects one of Kemba's most essential aspects which was how hard he worked to improve himself. Again, I'm not saying Boatright won't be better than Kemba, I'm just saying that a 2 game sample is a little premature for such a discussion.

I do think it would be good fodder for a blog post later in the season though. I'll also try and quantify the leap Kemba made from his sophomore to junior seasons and compare it to some other players (I'm not sure who should be in that group, but Emeka's freshman-junior ascendance seems like it would make an interesting comp).

Reaction Score

I am although its certainly too early to suggest anything from it like HuskyCarl has said. Boatright has played considerably more minutes than Kemba. Also Kemba wasnt the primary scoring option on that husky team. Boatright has had to become that the past 2 games.

Reaction Score
A couple things from the Seth Davis article:

1) Two games is nowhere near a large enough sample to even bother making statistical comparisons. It's large enough to convince me that Boatright is awfully good, but I assure everyone that he's not going to shoot 8-12 every game.

2) One of the headlines of the article is "Boatright's shortcomings." We then learn that those shortcomings are that he's smaller than Kemba Walker and has yet to make a game winning shot. Pretty enlightening stuff.

Reaction Score
2) One of the headlines of the article is "Boatright's shortcomings." We then learn that those shortcomings are that he's smaller than Kemba Walker and has yet to make a game winning shot. Pretty enlightening stuff.

Seth's plan worked. I never read his articles but when I saw the title of the post, I was thinking to myself, how the hell can someone be ripping on Boatright after only 2 games, when he played fantastic in both? Of course, I was intrigued, read the article, and found out that there was (basically) nothing about Boatright's short comings and it was just a headline designed to attract viewers.

I'm not a huge stat guy but I enjoy reading your articles.

Reaction Score
Seth's plan worked. I never read his articles but when I saw the title of the post, I was thinking to myself, how the hell can someone be ripping on Boatright after only 2 games, when he played fantastic in both? Of course, I was intrigued, read the article, and found out that there was (basically) nothing about Boatright's short comings and it was just a headline designed to attract viewers.

I'm not a huge stat guy but I enjoy reading your articles.

But, he's short you see! Do you get it? He's short, "short comings", Do you see what he did there?

Can't wait to see what clever witticisms Seth has on conference realignment...more like the Big WEST, amiright??

Reaction Score
Hey guys, I know there have already been a couple threads posted about our site, but I wanted to officially invite you all to check out a new UConn blog I have been working on. It's called UConn By the Numbers and it's a blog dedicated to the statistical analysis of UConn basketball. It's not all going to be stats based, but we're hoping to use the stats angle as a means to differentiate ourselves from some of the other content that's out there.

We've got some advanced player stats as well as statistics by 5-man unit (the different lineup combinations that are playing at a given time), which are not available anywhere else. Today we've got a UConn v. Harvard preview with a stats breakdown of the team's performance, a couple underhanded digs at BC and an interesting look at how Harvard has benefited from their opponent's shooting well below their average from the free throw line this season.

If you like the site, definitely follow us on Twitter (@Uconnbynumbers), or "Like" us on Facebook for site updates.

Also if you guys have any questions or suggestions let me know, or leave a comment on the site. Thanks for checking it out!

This is really impressive. I like how the numbers and processes are explained too, so we're not just having random stats thrown at us with no context. Nice to see all the effort put into the site

Reaction Score
How about the Story Highlights at the top of the article:

"Ryan Boatright will be a poor man's Kemba Walker if he doesn't show more heart."

Umm...what?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Really enjoyed reading the articles. Nice site.

On the free throw anomaly thing, you missed the tiny doll Amaker has that he inserts pins into as the player takes a foul shot. What else would you expect from a Blue Devil guy.

Reaction Score
Really enjoyed reading the articles. Nice site.

On the free throw anomaly thing, you missed the tiny doll Amaker has that he inserts pins into as the player takes a foul shot. What else would you expect from a Blue Devil guy.

Thanks!

Of course! K must've knitted it for him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom