New UConn President Says He Is Committed To Football And Staying In The AAC | The Boneyard

New UConn President Says He Is Committed To Football And Staying In The AAC

Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut's incoming president says he's committed to a major college football program and doesn't plan to move the school out of the American Athletic Conference.

Thomas Katsouleas, the provost and executive vice president of the University of Virginia, was appointed Tuesday as the next president of UConn. He will take over the job in August.

"It's important to both (athletic director) David (Benedict) and me that we build a culture of winning at UConn and leverage that culture of success to benefit every aspect of the university, including academics," Katsouleas said.

"Yes, I'm committed to football," Katsouleas said Tuesday. "I think it's part of the identity of who we are as a major, broad-context university and I don't think the savings from cutting it are as great as people think. In fact, it has ancillary value for the other sports and for fundraising overall."

Full article HERE

__________________________________________​

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Really misleading story. Seems to me he’s saying he is committed to football and staying in the AAC vs giving up football and moving to the Big East which has been suggested by a misguided few. A school with UConn’s athletic dept’s deficit is not going to choose to stay in the AAC over a P5 conference (should an invitation be extended at some point down the road).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Is the UConn administration run by a parliamentary system? Can we call a mandate?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is great news! Any time a team/sports school official has to offer a statement of support for a beleaguered underling/program, that inevitable outcome is its removal! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Really misleading story. Seems to me he’s saying he is committed to football and staying in the AAC vs giving up football and moving to the Big East which has been suggested by a misguided few. A school with UConn’s athletic dept’s deficit is not going to choose to stay in the AAC over a P5 conference (should an invitation be extended at some point down the road).
Cat, perhaps this deserves its own thread. I cant remember the last time my friends even discussed going to a UConn football game. Not sure of the ROI of the current football program and what it would take to regain national stature. Would be great to get "Big League" money, but in its current state, unlikely one of the top Leagues would want UConn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
People on here seem to be of two minds - either he's saying what he needs to say, or he's an idiot. I vote option 1.

Does anyone REALLY think that if the B1G or ACC came calling, that UCONN wouldn't jump in a NY minute? I tend to think the most realistic down the road would be the ACC, if they would even be willing to take us, but really it's only those 2 conferences we'd even have a shot at, and I've heard arguments that USF, UCF, Houston, and Cinci would be ahead of us (but that's a whole different topic).

Bottom line I think he said what he needed to say. Let's hope he keeps UCONN moving up in the academic rankings and pushes hard for big time football improvements and for a new conference behind the scenes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m happy that we got a President with experience at great state universities like UCLA and Virginia. He also spent time at Duke.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut's incoming president says he's committed to a major college football program and doesn't plan to move the school out of the American Athletic Conference.

Thomas Katsouleas, the provost and executive vice president of the University of Virginia, was appointed Tuesday as the next president of UConn. He will take over the job in August.

"It's important to both (athletic director) David (Benedict) and me that we build a culture of winning at UConn and leverage that culture of success to benefit every aspect of the university, including academics," Katsouleas said.

"Yes, I'm committed to football," Katsouleas said Tuesday. "I think it's part of the identity of who we are as a major, broad-context university and I don't think the savings from cutting it are as great as people think. In fact, it has ancillary value for the other sports and for fundraising overall."

Full article HERE

__________________________________________​

Makes sense. Anyone wanting to stay in the AAC ought to be committed.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If he was previously at an ACC school, maybe he can snag you guys an ACC invitation.

Reaction Score
I’m happy that we got a President with experience at great state universities like UCLA and Virginia. He also spent time at Duke.

Although he got his degrees from UCLA, he was never part of the administration or faculty. He was both at USC, however.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If you ever want to see UCONN out of the AAC and into a P5 conference, football is the only sport that counts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom