New To Area... | The Boneyard

New To Area...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
I'm new to this area but have always loved UConn BB. I will have family coming in for some of the games. Where are good places to stay in the area? What about in Boston?

Reaction Score
I guess it depends on for how long and desire of said family to do other things.

Kids? Older adults?

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
2 Adults, 2 kids. They are staying in the area for approximately 4 days.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What area is this you're talking about? Storrs, Hartford, Boston, Northern CT, Southern CT, New England???

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Hartford, Storrs, and/or Boston.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Depending on tastes and finances, while I always stayed in the Boston burbs on business (Newton) I treated my wife to the tall waterfront hotel for one of her birthdays (don't know its current branding, but expensive and gorgeous) and she also liked to stay in Brookline, close to Coolidge Corners, on vacation visits. Convenient while less expensive than staying (for example) at Copley.

Rutgers fans used to stay a distance away from Storrs, not much there at the time, usually near a restaurant called Rein's Deli. Boneyarder's can do the exact locating.

Reaction Score
Depending on tastes and finances, while I always stayed in the Boston burbs on business (Newton) I treated my wife to the tall waterfront hotel for one of her birthdays (don't know its current branding, but expensive and gorgeous) and she also liked to stay in Brookline, close to Coolidge Corners, on vacation visits. Convenient while less expensive than staying (for example) at Copley.

Rutgers fans used to stay a distance away from Storrs, not much there at the time, usually near a restaurant called Rein's Deli. Boneyarder's can do the exact locating.

4 days---want to see Uconn Wbb games--Hartford ok, Boston better, Brookline ok plus, but Worcestor, Ma between Boston and Hartford
Storrs not as far as from Boston (to Worcester) Hartford to Boston, a 2 plus hour drive traffic dependent ---and much worse in the city--
Worcester is more active than Storrs for visitors. If they want salt water--the game changes dramatically--if they want history whole new ball game--Connecticut has a rich history often overlooked from the 1600's on but if you want a tea party or Breeds Hill (Bunker) or the wharfs--Boston--Plymouth Rock--(just a boulder) lots of history written around it by Bostonians--Harvard, MIT -BC BU
Remember how history is spelled---HIS STORY meaning who writes it is what it becomes, the real truth be damned.--

Reaction Score
Go to Boston. Lots of sights to see. Walk the Freedom Trail.
Boston: +1000

Freedom Trail is a must, but don't rely entirely on the guides (tours start on the Commons): some are good, some not so much, and they don't do the whole trail. You've got to cross the bridge and take in Bunker Hill on your own. So, best to buy a historical guide to supplement the sometimes silly stuff spun by guides and to complete the Trail. The Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) is a seriously excellent art museum, and the Museum of Science (just into Cambridge) is very cool and entirely kid-friendly.

North End is always crowded, but has some of the best NE seafood: the microscopic hole-in-the-wall Daily Catch is now far too well known, but definitely worth the 45 minute wait; and Neptune is legendary--and so is the inevitable 2 hr wait. For Italian pastries, it's a pleasurable battle between the two across-from-each-other giants, the Modern and Mikes, which is a win-win (except for your waistline). Some say Mikes has better cannoli and the Modern better (cream filled) lobster claws. I dunno. I'd have either at either as part of a last meal on earth....

For a fancy meal, it gets a bit more difficult. Not to sound sacrilegious, but it's easy to overspend for only a so-so meal in Boston. Our absolute fav is Craige on Main in Cambridge. Expensive, very informal, and always delicious. Generally the better value in Boston is in the less expensive food, I think.

If you stay in Hartford, the newly-renovated Athenaeum is a must. A great, great regional museum and a fantastic place to eat lunch. There are other things to do there, too, but, frankly, it'd be hard to fill-up four days in Hartford, and Boston (and Cambridge) is so much the greater attraction. If you are in the Boston area, consider spending a day in Concord. Be a serious historical tourist at the spot where was fired "the shot heard round the world." Been there a dozen times and still get goosebumps. Sleepy Hollow Cemetery (Author's Ridge) is hallowed ground for American literature and thought, and of course Emerson's house (pretty good tour, but the house closes in mid-Oct) and inevitably Walden Pond. Bring a copy of Walden and read from it on the spot of Thoreau's house. There are a zillion iconic things to do in Concord (no offense to Lexington!). And from Boston, it's an easy drive to Salem, MA, which is great fun (house of witches, etc), and not far from the terrific Peabody-Essex museum. And when in Essex, of course, do a pilgrimage to Woodman's for the most famous fried claims in the world.

Can your family stay for four months instead? :)

Reaction Score
bags27, you could easily write a travel guide book and it will be a bestseller!!!

Reaction Score
I'd suggest a quick trip up 91 to visit the basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield. It won't take more than 30 minutes from Hartford and is a good way to use up a morning, followed by lunch at the several restaurants surrounding it.

Then fill the tank, as gas is much cheaper in Massachusetts!

Reaction Score
I'd suggest a quick trip up 91 to visit the basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield.
Terrific idea! And a great, great HoF, not only 'cause Geno's enshrined, but because the coaches' lockroom idea with they most significant playing strategy is explained. And the first floor--just a massive many-basketed b-ball court, is great for the kids (and young at heart) to get their ya-ya's out. That's a great place to visit.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Thanks to all for your responses. Sounds like there is so much to do and enjoy. Looking forward to having family visit and tour the areas with me. Greatly appreciate it!!

Reaction Score
Boston: +1000

Freedom Trail is a must, but don't rely entirely on the guides (tours start on the Commons): some are good, some not so much, and they don't do the whole trail. You've got to cross the bridge and take in Bunker Hill on your own. So, best to buy a historical guide to supplement the sometimes silly stuff spun by guides and to complete the Trail. The Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) is a seriously excellent art museum, and the Museum of Science (just into Cambridge) is very cool and entirely kid-friendly.

North End is always crowded, but has some of the best NE seafood: the microscopic hole-in-the-wall Daily Catch is now far too well known, but definitely worth the 45 minute wait; and Neptune is legendary--and so is the inevitable 2 hr wait. For Italian pastries, it's a pleasurable battle between the two across-from-each-other giants, the Modern and Mikes, which is a win-win (except for your waistline). Some say Mikes has better cannoli and the Modern better (cream filled) lobster claws. I dunno. I'd have either at either as part of a last meal on earth....

For a fancy meal, it gets a bit more difficult. Not to sound sacrilegious, but it's easy to overspend for only a so-so meal in Boston. Our absolute fav is Craige on Main in Cambridge. Expensive, very informal, and always delicious. Generally the better value in Boston is in the less expensive food, I think.

If you stay in Hartford, the newly-renovated Athenaeum is a must. A great, great regional museum and a fantastic place to eat lunch. There are other things to do there, too, but, frankly, it'd be hard to fill-up four days in Hartford, and Boston (and Cambridge) is so much the greater attraction. If you are in the Boston area, consider spending a day in Concord. Be a serious historical tourist at the spot where was fired "the shot heard round the world." Been there a dozen times and still get goosebumps. Sleepy Hollow Cemetery (Author's Ridge) is hallowed ground for American literature and thought, and of course Emerson's house (pretty good tour, but the house closes in mid-Oct) and inevitably Walden Pond. Bring a copy of Walden and read from it on the spot of Thoreau's house. There are a zillion iconic things to do in Concord (no offense to Lexington!). And from Boston, it's an easy drive to Salem, MA, which is great fun (house of witches, etc), and not far from the terrific Peabody-Essex museum. And when in Essex, of course, do a pilgrimage to Woodman's for the most famous fried claims in the world.

Can your family stay for four months instead? :)

Magnificent just magnificent! I've spent many days in Boston, on Per Diem (at the Black Physics Bldg) and just visiting kids at MIT and Harvard. The seafood is among the best anywhere (Ct along the coast has some very good ones too), Italian bistro's are among the best. Years previous we did the self guided history starting at Fennial (??Sp) Hall. I agree with those who say you should write a Boston Guide book.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Again, I appreciate all the suggestions and responses. Unfortunately, this trip is now cancelled for my family as they are flooded in Louisiana. Thanks again!

Love this fan forum. Many great supporters of Womens's Basketball!

Reaction Score
Oh, no! I hope everyone is safe. That's the important part, after all.

UConn et al will still be here when they can travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom