New Television Contracts!!! | The Boneyard

New Television Contracts!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just like to throw this out and get some feed back on the upcoming TV negotiations that will ensue when the dust settles. I profess I am not anywhere near an expert and more a medical person than businessman but seems to me we might come out of this OK if we choose the proper affiliate to cover our games. I guess Comcast owns NBC so if you control the cable channels you have quite a say. Presently in my area ESPN and ESPN2 are included in my basic cable package. If we do go with Fox,CBS,NBC will they be able to show our games on Thurs,Fri,Sat etc to go head to head with ESPN to increase our exposure and product.

Reaction Score
I quess an irrevelent post Rondogg quite obvious what I was asking.

Reaction Score
There are four major players, ABC/ESPN, NBC/Comcast, Fox and CBS. Since sports content is in demand, the BE should command a prime contract. The PAC12 deal was $250 million a year for 12 years. Anything is possible.

Reaction Score
There are four major players, ABC/ESPN, NBC/Comcast, Fox and CBS. Since sports content is in demand, the BE should command a prime contract. The PAC12 deal was $250 million a year for 12 years. Anything is possible.
Thanks Drucken but the money will be better my only concern is the viewership. In my area CBS,NBC fox have only one affiliate on my my baisc and they show their general lineups. Versus etc an additional package that not everyone subscribes to.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Thanks Drucken but the money will be better my only concern is the viewership. In my area CBS,NBC fox have only one affiliate on my my baisc and they show their general lineups. Versus etc an additional package that not everyone subscribes to.

Better than $250M/per for 12 yrs? For a league ripping apart at the seams? You're being serious?

Reaction Score
I quess an irrevelent post Rondogg quite obvious what I was asking.

The "No Child Left Behind Act" was instituted late for some. Now a days when you ask a question in writing they ask you to use one of these (?)

Carry on.......

Reaction Score
The "No Child Left Behind Act" was instituted late for some. Now a days when you ask a question in writing they ask you to use one of these (?)

Carry on.......
Bonehead its a sportsboard not an Englisg class

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Bonehead its a sportsboard not an Englisg class
It's not about grammar. It just helps us decide if we'll be interested in the thread. The question mark means you have a question about the contracts. The exclamation marks could have meant the ACC contract was renegotiated. Not a big deal, but just helpful to Boneyarders who may have limited time in checking the boards.

About the contracts. It's anybodies guess. If the BE can somehow survive a year, and come up with some potentially interesting configuration on the football side, and still have decent bb content, things could get interesting in the upcoming contract negotiations.

Most of the other major conferences are locked into long term contracts. So they are off the table for media competitors unless those conferences undergo major changes.

The BE has the advantage of being the last to negotiate in this round of negotiations. The problem for the BE is that the BB side got significantly weaker with the loss of Cuse, Pitt and WV. Furthermore the BE has the perception, and some validity, of being a very weak football conference. And the addition of some of the proposed schools might not convince the public, or the media competitors, that the product has upgraded. Although many of us on this forum believe that WV is the only real loss in football and the NBE football product, if it comes about and can stay together for "a while", might actually be better on the national scene than the old BE.

So everything hinges on whether ESPN wants to reduce competion, or if NBC and/or Fox want to become bigger players in college athletics. It is not out of the question that an inferior offering gets a much higher contract than its estimated value because the demand exceeds the supply. This could happen for the BE particularly if NBC/Comcast wants to develop their content on versus.

In addition Comcast may have a strategy to force ESPN into paying more monies to their conferences if they offer the lowly BE significantly competitive terms to the other conferences, or watch the conferences realign to get out of contracts. Then Comcast can offer one of the newly configured conferences a better contract and/or impact ESPN's bottom line giving Comcast an advantage in the next go round.

Even in my most optimistic scenario, there is the problem you mention. ESPN is a household name. Versus is an unknown. And it will most likely remain an unknown with only the BE as its product. Comcast will need a better named conference to give Versus recognition and that is getting harder with conferences deciding to create their own networks.

Reaction Score
It's not about grammar. It just helps us decide if we'll be interested in the thread. The question mark means you have a question about the contracts. The exclamation marks could have meant the ACC contract was renegotiated. Not a big deal, but just helpful to Boneyarders who may have limited time in checking the boards.

About the contracts. It's anybodies guess. If the BE can somehow survive a year, and come up with some potentially interesting configuration on the football side, and still have decent bb content, things could get interesting in the upcoming contract negotiations.

Most of the other major conferences are locked into long term contracts. So they are off the table for media competitors unless those conferences undergo major changes.

The BE has the advantage of being the last to negotiate in this round of negotiations. The problem for the BE is that the BB side got significantly weaker with the loss of Cuse, Pitt and WV. Furthermore the BE has the perception, and some validity, of being a very weak football conference. And the addition of some of the proposed schools might not convince the public, or the media competitors, that the product has upgraded. Although many of us on this forum believe that WV is the only real loss in football and the NBE football product, if it comes about and can stay together for "a while", might actually be better on the national scene than the old BE.

So everything hinges on whether ESPN wants to reduce competion, or if NBC and/or Fox want to become bigger players in college athletics. It is not out of the question that an inferior offering gets a much higher contract than its estimated value because the demand exceeds the supply. This could happen for the BE particularly if NBC/Comcast wants to develop their content on versus.

In addition Comcast may have a strategy to force ESPN into paying more monies to their conferences if they offer the lowly BE significantly competitive terms to the other conferences, or watch the conferences realign to get out of contracts. Then Comcast can offer one of the newly configured conferences a better contract and/or impact ESPN's bottom line giving Comcast an advantage in the next go round.

Even in my most optimistic scenario, there is the problem you mention. ESPN is a household name. Versus is an unknown. And it will most likely remain an unknown with only the BE as its product. Comcast will need a better named conference to give Versus recognition and that is getting harder with conferences deciding to create their own networks.
Thanx, was just looking for the business side of all of this and appreciate the lengthy explanation, just hope we end up on those nights on basic cable. Apologies to the crew for the ill-banter. Also did not have to repeat English 101 ion 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom