New Student Rec Center Site Selected | The Boneyard

New Student Rec Center Site Selected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A fantastic addition in just the right place. All students will have access. Just another example (along with the new Research building) of what we could have been years ago had Susan Herbst been at the helm. To say we squandered years of growth, especially given our 1999 and 2004 rising national image via sports success. Sometimes you have to simply admit that competence is not guaranteed with a job title. Our prior Presidents and AD are exhibits 1, 2 and 3.

Reaction Score
The only blot on her watch (certainly not her fault) is the MISERABLE AAC. It makes me feel better knowing things would have been diff if she had taken over in 2008:(
:(:(.

Reaction Score
Sounds amazing. Jealous of what the campus will look like in 5 years. For someone who graduated in late 1990's and never made a trip back to campus the place will be utterly unrecognizable. Those dorms are absolute eye soars and the location makes perfect sense.

Hard to believe the kids who just enrolled as class of 2019 won't even get the chance to benefit from it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
A fantastic addition in just the right place. All students will have access. Just another example (along with the new Research building) of what we could have been years ago had Susan Herbst been at the helm. To say we squandered years of growth, especially given our 1999 and 2004 rising national image via sports success. Sometimes you have to simply admit that competence is not guaranteed with a job title. Our prior Presidents and AD are exhibits 1, 2 and 3.

10000% agree.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
When I was a student, the student rec center was a deflated volleyball and we had to share it. And we liked it.

Damn these kids today and their luxuries...

This is the right move and they're putting it in the right place. Should be amazing.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I loved that volleyball. With a good gust of wind, you could throw it over 10 yards.

Reaction Score
When I was a student, the student rec center was a deflated volleyball and we had to share it. And we liked it.

This is the right move and they're putting it in the right place. Should be amazing.

And we played with that deflated volleyball in a mud pit.

Reaction Score
States elsewhere, two interesting notes

First, that I saw is that the pool will be 50 meters. That's long enough for competitions. If it will also have a diving well, I wonder if UConn will move Varsity swimming to the rec center, which would allow Wolff to be torn down and Gampel to be expanded, maybe.

Second, creating a new rec field needed; but, I don't like it in D Lot. If UConn is getting rid of D Lot, I rather see the University combine that space with the adjacent football practice fields and then build the new soccer stadium and practice fields (2x) there and then convert the current soccer fields into football practice fields as they are next to Shenkman. That gives both programs their own, distinct space.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score

If I remember correctly, when I was there the volleyball courts and gymnastics areas were separated from the basketball court by a curtain/net during Husky BB games. So, we watched the likes of Tony Hansen and Joey Whelton while standing between that curtain and the bleachers/court.

Reaction Score

I remember the non-athlete weight 'room' that consisted of equipment from 20 years prior to my arrival in Storrs, was located under the folded-up north bleachers of the Fieldhouse, and had no air conditioning nor heat.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
States elsewhere, two interesting notes

First, that I saw is that the pool will be 50 meters. That's long enough for competitions. If it will also have a diving well, I wonder if UConn will move Varsity swimming to the rec center, which would allow Wolff to be torn down and Gampel to be expanded, maybe.

No chance.

Beyond the pool, you need stands, locker rooms, etc., etc. Plus they need the flex pool there with the sliding bulkhead and they also make use of the Brundage pool and the training facilities.

You just can't move that program to the student center.

Reaction Score
No chance.

Beyond the pool, you need stands, locker rooms, etc., etc. Plus they need the flex pool there with the sliding bulkhead and they also make use of the Brundage pool and the training facilities.

You just can't move that program to the student center.

Valid point. The reason I raised such is that on the most recent UConn master plan, it shows an expanded Gampel right where Wolff is today. Wolff looks to be gone - see page 8.

http://masterplan.uconn.edu/wp-cont...4/04/110714-Draft-Campus-Master-Plan-_web.pdf

Thus, either a new varsity pool is included in the new rec center or another building or UConn plans to drop the program.

C

Chief00

I remembered when they remodeled Guyer and the Fiekdhouse it was a big improvement - but by today's standards not good enough. Imagine today's students in the Fieldhouse playing around waste baskets and towels on the floor?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And we played with that deflated volleyball in a mud pit.

But when you try to tell the kids that, they just don't believe you.

Reaction Score
They let you have mud?

Lucky bastards.

Some luck. It seemed that certain UConn fields were a sea of mud in the early 1980's, especially the field by the old Co-op bookstore and the old grad field in front of the library where they used to play rugby and other pick up sports. You were lucky just to avoid the stuff.

Reaction Score
What I'd like to know is how to reduce truck traffic for supplies? Are they going to have a logistic warehouse near the New England Central RR and have drones fly to the campus with supplies? I'm impressed with the plan though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom