New! Season Preview Pod with Phil Steele | The Boneyard

New! Season Preview Pod with Phil Steele

Reaction Score
I also think Steele is dead on that there are five games we are going to be favored to win (SHU, UMass, FIU, USF and Utah St) and five games we will definitely be underdogs in (Tenn, NC State, Duke, BC and JMU). Doesn't mean we won't be much better than he thinks again, and that we won't win some of those games, but it puts incredible pressure on the road games at Georgia State and Rice.

Reaction Score
BTW, regarding Phil's shout out that his National CFB preview mag only being at Barnes and Noble this year (+1 other I forgot ). I was able to pick up a copy today at the B & N in Manchester -Buckland Mall. Had probably 10 or so copies left on a rack near the check out. $19.99

Reaction Score
Interesting comments on how he rates each position year to year. He basically looks at each position and says it is either going to improve or get worse. His scale is -5 on down side to + 5 on upside. This is not how good you are going to be at a position but how good are you going to be "vs. last year".
So at QB you are Clemson and replacing Trevor Lawrence with some 5 star freshman or sophomore and you might get a -2.
For UConn QB position he gave UConn a +5. He said any of the 3 would be a big upgrade over freshman ZT and whoever wins job has to beat out the other 2 who each have something going for them. Kind of how I see it also, makes for a chance to really shock the world.
Also UConn goes from one of the least experienced teams to one of the most and Phil always sees a performance bump for a team in the 2nd year of a new coach.
How about 8-0 going into Tennessee, see you there Holly Rowe.

Reaction Score
I also think Steele is dead on that there are five games we are going to be favored to win (SHU, UMass, FIU, USF and Utah St) and five games we will definitely be underdogs in (Tenn, NC State, Duke, BC and JMU). Doesn't mean we won't be much better than he thinks again, and that we won't win some of those games, but it puts incredible pressure on the road games at Georgia State and Rice.
I don't think we'll be going chalk vs the spread this year. Probably better against better teams if we stay healthy. But away games can be tricky against a motivated opponent. Really looking forward to Game 1 this year.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Fun interview to hear - thanks for doing and posting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom