New school commitments by Transfers - March 2024 | Page 24 | The Boneyard

New school commitments by Transfers - March 2024

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley basically confirmed she was visiting on social though. She definitely had a visit scheduled to South Carolina in addition to USC.
The only source for the South Carolina visit was our friend Skim Milkey, which was the error. This exploded into other posts, but I never found any real confirmation of a visit to Columbia. Hard to do LA and Columbia on same weekend too.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Southern Cal still has Gottlieb as their coach next season. Don't think they are a title contender still. Talent wise, yes definitely!
What's issue with Gottlieb? She was just extended to 2030, she's a Geno protege and she showed she can recruit and win 25+ games already this year. The Trojan boosters are ecstatic.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She is going to
That was 99% likely an error with visit scheduled to USC in Los Angeles, not SC in Columbia.

USC now for real; just the pairing of JuJu and Kiki basically gives you Clark/Czinano+, and the surrounding role players will be on average better than the recent Iowa teams.

Sounds funny - contenders with UCLA for the new Big10 title.

Darn shame that most of the games will be on BTN and FS1. I would bet that they have some games on Big Fox this year... taking the place of Iowa.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
She is going to

Darn shame that most of the games will be on BTN and FS1. I would bet that they have some games on Big Fox this year... taking the place of Iowa.
Have to believe with the popularity of WBB they will be promting USC(WOT) on a lot more network games than the BTN. Leave the BRN for Purdue v Minn type games.

Reaction Score
The only source for the South Carolina visit was our friend Skim Milkey, which was the error. This exploded into other posts, but I never found any real confirmation of a visit to Columbia. Hard to do LA and Columbia on same weekend too.
And then Dawn confirmed it on Social media. What don’t you get about that?

Reaction Score
What's issue with Gottlieb? She was just extended to 2030, she's a Geno protege and she showed she can recruit and win 25+ games already this year. The Trojan boosters are ecstatic.
It'll be telling to see how she adjusts her offense now that she will have a lot of other talented players to surround Watkins. Her offense last year seemed to be ISO with Watkins, little ball movement, and hero ball. She did have success, making an elite 8 is a huge accomplishment. I'm not sold on her coaching ability against the top coaches/teams. But, we shall see

Reaction Score
Dawn never confirmed it. She posted a picture from Disneyworld where her and the coaches were participating in a National Championship celebration parade hosted by Disney. She often trolls thos

Reaction Score
Dawn never confirmed it. She posted a picture from Disneyworld where her and the coaches were participating in a National Championship celebration parade hosted by Disney. She often trolls thos
Dawn never confirmed it. She posted a picture from Disneyworld where her and the coaches were participating in a National Championship celebration parade hosted by Disney. She often trolls folks who make a big deal about potential rumors, gossip or criticisms with our team. Her schedule for the team and girls next week did not line up for a visit, so I would guess this was just a rumor or a site that confused USC as in S. Carolina and USC as in the Trojans.

Reaction Score
Sincere question: could you please explain what you meant by saying Coach Gottlieb is a "Geno protege"? He has said nice things about her in press conferences, but that's the only connection I see. She's not a former player or assistant coach of his.

Link to Gottlieb's bio at the USC site: Lindsay Gottlieb - Women's Basketball Coach - USC Athletics

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Sincere question: could you please explain what you meant by saying Coach Gottlieb is a "Geno protege"? He has said nice things about her in press conferences, but that's the only connection I see. She's not a former player or assistant coach of his.

Link to Gottlieb's bio at the USC site: Lindsay Gottlieb - Women's Basketball Coach - USC Athletics
She used to go to his camp as a kid, and he has been supportive of her playing career at Brown and her coaching career.

Reaction Score
She didn't specifically confirm Iriafren was on campus, unless you saw something I missed.
Iriafin was scheduled to visit next week not last week. And yes her tweet was 99% confirmation about the Kiki visiting rumors. Fine if you want to believe it was a typo but it was most certainly not.

Reaction Score
Huge pickup for Southern Cal , they are now a Final Four or bust team to me with Talia potentially on the way as well. The only concern is 8 new pieces to the team with 6 of them being true Freshman.

Reaction Score
Have to believe with the popularity of WBB they will be promting USC(WOT) on a lot more network games than the BTN. Leave the BRN for Purdue v Minn type games.
First, nice touch with the (WOT) reference.

Second, I think the TV mix will be a fair bit of Peacock and Fox primarily. That seemed to be the trend this past season with Iowa games. BTN will have a lot of good teams available to choose from for broadcasting.

Reaction Score
Huge pickup for Southern Cal , they are now a Final Four or bust team to me with Talia potentially on the way as well. The only concern is 8 new pieces to the team with 6 of them being true Freshman.
7 frosh

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
At this point I’m expecting von Oelhoffen to follow Iriafen to USC which would make them preseason #2 in my eye.

I'd put Texas or UCONN over Southern Cal at this juncture, even if they land von Oelhoffen. USC feels a little like LSU this year, adding in a lot of pieces but developing chemistry is far from a given. And most importantly, being good on paper doesn't always translate, especially when trying to gel a lot of talent together. I think USC will be quite good and has potential but I'd put a well built Geno of Vic team ahead of them. Regardless though, it's a MASSIVE get for USC. Making the Final Four should absolutely be a goal/expectation this year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm glad the Iriafen/South Carolina rumors didn't come to fruition. South Carolina's more loaded in the post than anyone next year and I think Kiki coming would've led to either Kitts or Feagin departing and potentially disrupts their great team chemistry. One thing Dawn has done very well is getting players to buy in to working hard to earn more playing time in the future even if they don't get that instant gratification. Passing over kids who've worked their tails off to improve by taking a 1 year star transfer (who SC doesn't need) would cause more problems than be helpful IMO.

Reaction Score
That post could have been for another player; we don't know for sure.
Dawn Staley basically confirmed she was visiting on social though. She definitely had a visit scheduled to South Carolina in addition to USC.
I know some saw the social media post as Dawn Staley "basically confirming" an Iriafen visit but I didn't see that way. It could have meant that [and maybe Iriafen was using it as leverage] but Staley gets tricky with her posts and they often don't mean what a lot of people are thinking.

Reaction Score
I'm glad the Iriafen/South Carolina rumors didn't come to fruition. South Carolina's more loaded in the post than anyone next year and I think Kiki coming would've led to either Kitts or Feagin departing and potentially disrupts their great team chemistry. One thing Dawn has done very well is getting players to buy in to working hard to earn more playing time in the future even if they don't get that instant gratification. Passing over kids who've worked their tails off to improve by taking a 1 year star transfer (who SC doesn't need) would cause more problems than be helpful IMO.
This.

Reaction Score
A lot of gamecock fans agree with you. Many saw it as a threat to Feagan ( Not Kitts). And many felt it would hamper the development of Joyce Edwards.

Now, if she were a true low post type like BEERS . . .Mah, you are correct. That chemistry is too precious.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Woj bomb in the middle of NBA Playoffs.

No surprise. I expected she would stay on the west coast.

To me, the biggest development here is that Woj is now involved in covering women's basketball during national television.

Agree with a number of other points:
  • Was going to be hard to get her off the West Coast, specifically LA
  • The Watkins/ Iriafen duo is, of course, great. Who will fill in all for all the Left Coast Ivies who are now gone?
  • One person that will help over time: Kayleigh Hackel, the fast-as-lightning point guard from Westchester, NY, and LuHi.

Reaction Score
To me, the biggest development here is that Woj is now involved in covering women's basketball during national television.

Agree with a number of other points:
  • Was going to be hard to get her off the West Coast, specifically LA
  • The Watkins/ Iriafen duo is, of course, great. Who will fill in all for all the Left Coast Ivies who are now gone?
  • One person that will help over time: Kayleigh Hackel, the fast-as-lightning point guard from Westchester, NY, and LuHi.
Is ND going to get any transfers? :confused:
The only position we might need a "big-time" transfer would have been a 5 (To ease in Koval). Now it seems she will be a starter, which isn't bad at all. We just desperately need depth in the post. I'm thankful KK is coming back. It saves us from needing another portal player. I still think we need 3, for a roster size of at least 11.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom