New rules, flopping, Caitlin Clark Rule, etc. | The Boneyard

New rules, flopping, Caitlin Clark Rule, etc.

Reaction Score
Hate the Clark rule...the player should be assessed the foul, they are holding the game...if anyone else did it not named Reese, Boston or Clark last year it wouldnt be an issue

Reaction Score
Hate the Clark rule...the player should be assessed the foul, they are holding the game...if anyone else did it not named Reese, Boston or Clark last year it wouldnt be an issue

Still not clear on how much impact this rule will have. Like how often does this really happen in games? It seems like a stretch to make this change over one situation that may happen once in a blue moon.

I'm more interested in the changes regarding the charge circle and its potential impact to the game. That could have players used to driving into the paint thinking they'll draw a defensive foul think differently.

Reaction Score
Its that they are assessed a technical foul even if it was someone else that did it earlier in the game. Issuing a personal technical for something that was issued to the whole team is dumb imo. Especially since players only get 5 fouls, it shouldn't change the face of the game.

Reaction Score
Still not clear on how much impact this rule will have. Like how often does this really happen in games? It seems like a stretch to make this change over one situation that may happen once in a blue moon.

I'm more interested in the changes regarding the charge circle and its potential impact to the game. That could have players used to driving into the paint thinking they'll draw a defensive foul think differently.
Unless I read the rule wrong doesn't it benefit the playrs driving to the basket and make charges more difficult to get?

"The panel approved reducing the restricted-area arc from 4 feet in the lane to the area directly underneath the basket. Defenders cannot establish a legal guarding position directly underneath the basket. This rule also eliminates the lower defensive box rule."

Reaction Score
Unless I read the rule wrong doesn't it benefit the playrs driving to the basket and make charges more difficult to get?

"The panel approved reducing the restricted-area arc from 4 feet in the lane to the area directly underneath the basket. Defenders cannot establish a legal guarding position directly underneath the basket. This rule also eliminates the lower defensive box rule."
I believe you misunderstand the change. In the past this would be to the offensive player's advantage because the defender had to be fully established outside the circle. With the charge circle gone, defensive players may get the benefit of the doubt more often.

Reaction Score
I believe you misunderstand the change. In the past this would be to the offensive player's advantage because the defender had to be fully established outside the circle. With the charge circle gone, defensive players may get the benefit of the doubt more often.
This is my understanding too. I've seen plenty of help defense do everything right to get the charge call but get the penalty because their heels were touching the arc.

I wonder how this rule will affect fast breaks. It could make it harder to make layups in 2 on 1.

Reaction Score
This is my understanding too. I've seen plenty of help defense do everything right to get the charge call but get the penalty because their heels were touching the arc.

I wonder how this rule will affect fast breaks. It could make it harder to make layups in 2 on 1.

And this is where I'm going to be conflicted as the circle still exists in FIBA rules, which is what Canadian leagues use for rules. It will be an interesting debate with my referee friends for sure.

On one hand, I'm for it for the reason you explained above. On the other, FIBA hasn't seen it necessary to make the change, so how is it an issue in NCAA when it hasn't been internationally?

Will be interesting to see how it plays out this season.

Reaction Score
I am glad I read the article. I thought the Caitlin Clark rule might be something added to stop players from taking a 3 point shot, 5 feet, or more, outside the arc, with 20+ seconds left on the shot clock.

Nah, that would have been an internal matter at Iowa if that was really a problem;)

Reaction Score
1. Flopping needs to be cleaned up, but officials will just ignore it, especially in the … “scrappier” conferences.

2. Delay of game fouls are a form of poor sportsmanship and should be assessed to the player committing the infraction.

3. The absolute last thing women’s basketball needs is a way to make charges more common. See #1.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Anytime someone mentions flopping my mind immediately goes to this Diamond Miller flop against Kamilla Cardoso. It will forever be burned into my memory. :p

To be fair, Cardoso's forearm is so incredibly powerful that it really doesn't need to move to be able to throw a player 5 feet backwards.

(Cardoso's reaction is priceless.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. Flopping needs to be cleaned up, but officials will just ignore it, especially in the … “scrappier” conferences.

2. Delay of game fouls are a form of poor sportsmanship and should be assessed to the player committing the infraction.

3. The absolute last thing women’s basketball needs is a way to make charges more common. See #1.

Get where you're coming from, however if (and that's a big if) referees actually call flopping, charges won't become more common. The call applies to both offensive and defensive players if I understood the rule correctly.

Reaction Score
Get where you're coming from, however if (and that's a big if) referees actually call flopping, charges won't become more common. The call applies to both offensive and defensive players if I understood the rule correctly.
Defensive flopping is even more common than offensive. Won't be called enough anywhere, but it especially won't be called in the regions who loved the semifinal officiating and hated the championship.

Reaction Score
I’m watching the Iowa/VT game when I saw the post title, and I thought the Caitlin Clark rule was no matter how much contact she initiates the call is always against the defense. She’s drawn 10 fouls through 3Q’s and at least a couple should have gone the other way. Not to mention a couple travel non calls

Reaction Score
I’m watching the Iowa/VT game when I saw the post title, and I thought the Caitlin Clark rule was no matter how much contact she initiates the call is always against the defense. She’s drawn 10 fouls through 3Q’s and at least a couple should have gone the other way. Not to mention a couple travel non calls
She just got called for an offensive foul and she was just as shocked as I was. It’s unbelievable how much she gets away with.

Reaction Score
She just got called for an offensive foul and she was just as shocked as I was. It’s unbelievable how much she gets away with.
Iowa drew several offensive calls I don't think would be called last season. Is this a one off? Hopefully not.

Reaction Score
The offensive player pushing off the defender with their off arm while driving is rarely called. I guess the powers that be have decided that's the way they want the game called to favor point scoring and exciting play, but in my opinion (which is worth nothing, I know) if the offensive player initiates the contact by lowering their shoulder or pushing off, it's an offensive foul, or at least a play on situation. It should not result in a foul charged to the defender.

Reaction Score
The offensive player pushing off the defender with their off arm while driving is rarely called. I guess the powers that be have decided that's the way they want the game called to favor point scoring and exciting play, but in my opinion (which is worth nothing, I know) if the offensive player initiates the contact by lowering their shoulder or pushing off, it's an offensive foul, or at least a play on situation. It should not result in a foul charged to the defender.
Didn't look like that last night. Clark got called on that a couple times and Martin was charged twice for it as well.

Reaction Score
I saw the same thing — Caitlin regularly takes an extra step before putting the ball on the floor. Ridiculous! Over the last few years Big East officials have tormented Aubrey and Olivia with bogus travel calls. It got to the point where the TV announcers would joke about “the point of emphasis.”

Reaction Score
I think the rule change is playing out as you suspected, with more charges, which I think is a bad thing. Interesting in the divergence in the men's and women's games this year. The men making it harder to draw charges, and the women doing the opposite.

Reaction Score
I think the rule change is playing out as you suspected, with more charges, which I think is a bad thing. Interesting in the divergence in the men's and women's games this year. The men making it harder to draw charges, and the women doing the opposite.
I had a similar chat with a friend about this a while ago. From my viewpoint, the number of charges will increase, but I don't know if we'd get to see the numbers which would explain things. It would be cool if this was being tracked, similar to shot charts. Having stats on the actual locations where the charges are called would be the only way to really know.

For example, the blocking fouls where the player had a smidge of their heel on the line. How many games were delayed by replay calls to determine whether a player was on the line? That alone could account for a fair portion of the increase.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom