New Reality? | The Boneyard

New Reality?

Reaction Score
The past several years UConn has been pretty lucky in terms of injuries - thankfully. Now we have Lou with relatively serious post-season surgery, Makayla recovering from blood clot(s), and of course Crystal's shin splints. Hopefully Batouly is fully healed. The team lost a very talented transfer to the WNBA. The bench, while talented in some spots, is not particularly deep, and very inexperienced. Same can be said of our two incoming freshmen. I think this is more the reality going forward than the past six years of seemingly endless streaks and championship runs, and virtually no key injuries. Hope not, but I think the WBB world is changing.

BTW, ref the two graduate transfers visiting this weekend, I kind of think a program/coach like Staley in SC has a lot more to offer a couple of "one-and-done" ladies in terms of "guaranteed" playing time, but having said that, I sure would like to see them at Gampel next year. Presumably they wouldn't be making the trip if Geno & Co didn't think there might be a fit.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
BTW, ref the two graduate transfers visiting this weekend, I kind of think a program/coach like Staley in SC has a lot more to offer a couple of "one-and-done" ladies in terms of "guaranteed" playing time, but having said that, I sure would like to see them at Gampel next year. Presumably they wouldn't be making the trip if Geno & Co didn't think there might be a fit.

IMHO, the bigger picture for some of these players is to get them pro-ready for the WNBA, overseas, and the possibility of a role on the US national team. It's been stated countless times over the last few years by coaches and GMs about how well UCWBB preps the players for life after college, hoop or not.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
The new reality is when Geno and crew start losing 5-6 games a year like most of the better teams.
Take a CALM look at the past 2 final fours ? This is what the leaders of WBB want ! This 2018 final 4 was the BEST ever - what role did the refereeing play, and type of play allowed by referee's. A BROADER success is desired ! Implementation is likely to occur !

Reaction Score
IMHO, the bigger picture for some of these players is to get them pro-ready for the WNBA, overseas, and the possibility of a role on the US national team. It's been stated countless times over the last few years by coaches and GMs about how well UCWBB preps the players for life after college, hoop or not.

...so wait, you mean these transfers are not willing to put in the four years of hard work with Geno but will take the "shorter" route just so they can get pro-ready, overseas and beyond at the expense of Geno and UConn? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
...so wait, you mean these transfers are not willing to put in the four years of hard work with Geno but will take the "shorter" route just so they can get pro-ready, overseas and beyond at the expense of Geno and UConn? :rolleyes:

I hate to constantly repeat the obvious but it seems to me that the only reason we are even discussing transfers at all is because of UConn's previous two recruiting classes...............if you recruit the very best you shouldn't expect to need transfers except on rare occasions.................clearly carrying twelve or thirteen players is great because of possible injuries/transfers but not if only six are good enough to play meaningful minutes..........I would think that it's going to be difficult to fully integrate a one year transfer into the team's offensive/defensive schemes but in next year's case it's a worthwhile risk according to most...........

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hate to constantly repeat the obvious but it seems to me that the only reason we are even discussing transfers at all is because of UConn's previous two recruiting classes.....if you recruit the very best you shouldn't expect to need transfers except on rare occasions.......clearly carrying twelve or thirteen players is great because of possible injuries/transfers but not if only six are good enough to play meaningful minutes.....I would think that it's going to be difficult to fully integrate a one year transfer into the team's offensive/defensive schemes but in next year's case it's a worthwhile risk according to most......
Transfers will be a bigger factor in the future. Especially Grad transfer. (See the Mens teams)
Schools always want to recruit the best 12 players but it is almost never possible.
But the incoming players are more and more interested in playing time as early as possible. They watch the schools that are recruiting them very closely to see who else they are recruiting that they may have to compete against for playing time.
The top programs rarely played many freshman especially Geno.

Reaction Score
Take a CALM look at the past 2 final fours ? This is what the leaders of WBB want ! This 2018 final 4 was the BEST ever - what role did the refereeing play, and type of play allowed by referee's. A BROADER success is desired ! Implementation is likely to occur !
I agree completely the leaders want parity . But many Uconn fans won't. LOL

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hate to constantly repeat the obvious but it seems to me that the only reason we are even discussing transfers at all is because of UConn's previous two recruiting classes.....if you recruit the very best you shouldn't expect to need transfers except on rare occasions.......clearly carrying twelve or thirteen players is great because of possible injuries/transfers but not if only six are good enough to play meaningful minutes.....I would think that it's going to be difficult to fully integrate a one year transfer into the team's offensive/defensive schemes but in next year's case it's a worthwhile risk according to most......

So, based on UConn's current state with losing three of your most productive players, several players rehabing injuries, returning bench players with limited meaningful game experience, and who knows how functional or productive Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa will be, the question is would you be more comfortable with Anriel Howard and Danni Williams on the roster or off?

As of right now, there are some question marks concerning next season's team. Keep in mind that UConn’s nonconference schedule next season will be more difficult than it was last season, with road games at Notre Dame, Louisville and Baylor included. Geno: "We do things differently here, because we're different. We don't mind playing anybody, anywhere, any time. We're at the point now where we don't care what our record is in the regular season. All we care about is, we're going to try to win every game and then it's a six-game season at the end. That's it.” We don't know for sure who is going to make those meaningful "leaps" over the summer, and be ready to step up and contribute meaningful minutes this year. Remember that old adage: A bird in the hand..........!

I don't see a downside in adding one or two experienced players of their caliber for 1 year that can help the team right away. They are more experienced and productive than anyone he has on his returning bench. I think UConn would be far more formidable with Howard and Williams next season than without.

I also completely agree with oldude's take on this: "Clearly the Huskies have a greater need for another rebounder than any of the other top teams. While some have argued that Geno wouldn't want to bring in a player and try to have her learn the system and play for only one year, I would suggest that he has nothing to lose. UConn returns 3 proven stars in Lou, Pheesa & Crystal. Hopefully, MW & perhaps Mikayla make significant sophomore leaps, they get something out of Touly and the 2 talented freshmen develop quickly. If so, maybe Howard is the "missing piece" that gets UConn a 12th championship. If not, you used an extra scholarship for a year and you move on."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
So, based on UConn's current state with losing three of your most productive players, several players rehabing injuries, returning bench players with limited meaningful game experience, and two incoming freshmen that we have no way of knowing how soon they will be able to contribute anything to UConn's quest going forward of winning #12, would you be more comfortable with Anrial Williams and Danni Williams on the roster or off? As of right now, there are some question marks concerning next season's team. We don't know for sure who is going to make meaningful "leaps" over the summer, and be ready to step up and contribute meaningful minutes next season. I don't see a downside in adding two experienced players of their caliber for 1 year, that can help he team right away.

Personally, I completely agree with Oldude's take on this: "Clearly the Huskies have a greater need for another rebounder than any of the other top teams. While some have argued that Geno wouldn't want to bring in a player and try to have her learn the system and play for only one year, I would suggest that he has nothing to lose. UConn returns 3 proven stars in Lou, Pheesa & Crystal. Hopefully, MW & perhaps Mikayla make significant sophomore leaps, they get something out of Touly and the 2 talented freshmen develop quickly. If so, maybe Howard is the "missing piece" that gets UConn a 12th championship. If not, you used an extra scholarship for a year and you move on."

I'm torn on that question.................there's no doubt that adding one or two solid veterans to the team would give them a somewhat better chance of having a successful season but on the other hand I believe in working with the hand you were dealt and playing the kids who are totally invested in the team..........MW, Camara, Coombs (if healthy) and the two freshmen will get invaluable experience because Geno will be be forced to play them and if the team fails at least they will be set up for a great following year if the right recruits are brought in

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom