New Pod: Checking in With Alex Karaban | The Boneyard

New Pod: Checking in With Alex Karaban

Reaction Score
Hi all,

Alex is back on the pod in between some draft workouts and finals. We talk what this draft process looks like and his thought process behind his decisions, he shares his thoughts on the new additions to the roster, and more. Audio out in AM but video out for all tonight.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
I really appreciate his sincerity. Its going to be impossible to replace him on the court and in the podcast. Selfishly hoping we get him for one more year but also wishing all the best to Alex and his future. He will always be remembered as one of the key pieces to this run and one of my favorite huskies.

Reaction Score
Nice value add to the day with interesting insights. Thanks for the whole season. Routing for Alex to keep his podcast position for another year. I don't even think that is selfish. With him for 2024-2025, UConn has the horses to make a run. It would be historic for Alex, Diarra, & Johnson to have 3 rings. As players from UCLA fade into the sunset, this trio would be the only people alive that could make that claim. If I was him and had confidence in the roster, that would tip the scales to return if it is really 50/50 to go/stay.

Reaction Score
What’s the expected timing on a decision? Shortly after combine?

Reaction Score
UCLA was dominant and they had a guy who figured out the team concept like Hurley has. Very unselfish. How many games in each run did UCLA have to win in a row for a title? Don’t wish to diminish them but it’s so much harder to do this now than it was then.

Reaction Score
UCLA was dominant and they had a guy who figured out the team concept like Hurley has. Very unselfish. How many games in each run did UCLA have to win in a row for a title? Don’t wish to diminish them but it’s so much harder to do this now than it was then.
When UCLA did it, they only had to win 4 or 5 games, and the first one or two were usually a cakewalk against the conference champs of weak western conferences.

So maybe 2-3 legitimately challenging games, at most.

We've had to win at least 4 games in each run against Sweet 16 or better caliber of opponents.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Nice value add to the day with interesting insights. Thanks for the whole season. Routing for Alex to keep his podcast position for another year. I don't even think that is selfish. With him for 2024-2025, UConn has the horses to make a run. It would be historic for Alex, Diarra, & Johnson to have 3 rings. As players from UCLA fade into the sunset, this trio would be the only people alive that could make that claim. If I was him and had confidence in the roster, that would tip the scales to return if it is really 50/50 to go/stay.

I fully believe kids need to put their personal interests over the team's (Donovan needed to enter the draft), but in Alex's case (a) I suspect he's not going to get a first round promise and thus wouldn't be turning down a guaranteed contract, (b) I genuinely believe he can increase his chance of sticking on an NBA roster by returning and rounding out his game, and (c) if it's a close call, I agree with you that the lure of making history (and earning his degree) may be the tiebreaker.

I realize I've got my selfish reasons for wanting him to come back but I just don't think he's going to lose out on anything by returning and I think he stands to gain a lot.

Reaction Score
I believe there was 16 or 32 teams in the NCAA when UCLA began their run in the early 60's. Not to mention each region played teams in their region. It wasn't like it is today when UCONN would be the #4 seed in the West. I hate to take anything away from those UCLA teams because they could only control what they did when they played and not who they played but it is very different than it is today. I've also heard the stories that UCLA bought their players but I refuse to diminish their accomplishments. It is still what every university strives for today.

Reaction Score
I can anticipate a day/time in the near future where a Mega donor offer up more NIL$$ etc... than what the NBA rookie salary guarantees.
Imagine retaining a Castle/Clingan, Jackson, Sanogo etc...for all 4 years of their eligibility.

Reaction Score
I think it would be in AK's best interest to stay. Not sure his current ability would really translate to the NBA. But he could once again be a key piece in UConn's run to another championship. It should be a no brainer that he just comes back. His ceiling in the NBA is Doug McDermott

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I fully believe kids need to put their personal interests over the team's (Donovan needed to enter the draft), but in Alex's case (a) I suspect he's not going to get a first round promise and thus wouldn't be turning down a guaranteed contract, (b) I genuinely believe he can increase his chance of sticking on an NBA roster by returning and rounding out his game, and (c) if it's a close call, I agree with you that the lure of making history (and earning his degree) may be the tiebreaker.

I realize I've got my selfish reasons for wanting him to come back but I just don't think he's going to lose out on anything by returning and I think he stands to gain a lot.
Others take note, this is the only way to discuss a player coming back from the NBA process. Pro's, Con's, admit your bias.

Reaction Score
The G-League combine will run from the 12-19 of May. We all know how smart he is, how well he sees the floor, and how well he shoots. For Alex his official measurements will be important. How tall is he without shoes? 6-8 or 6-6? What is his wingspan? His standing reach? What is his vertical?

I would expect a decision on returning or not soon after the end of the combine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom