New Paige Article, Good Geno Quotes | The Boneyard

New Paige Article, Good Geno Quotes

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This article is truly amazing. Hope the video's containing some of this stuff makes it out into the world.

“What number is going to get better?” Auriemma said. “What didn’t she do? She shot the ball great. She passed the ball great. She handled the ball. She rebounded. She’s become a really good defender. So what numbers do you need to go up? For her, it’s more subtle. But there’s a big difference in her already, just watching her play, because there’s more experience around her.”

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This kid is so special.

The only thing I’m thinking about is that we came up short,” she said. “That’s been motivating me all summer and I think it’s motivating us now. It’s always in the back of our minds and it’s pushing us to go even harder this season. I don’t really look at the accomplishments much. I’m not too much into the individual stuff. That’s all I’m really thinking about right now.”

Geno knows it too:

"What number is going to get better?” Auriemma said. “What didn’t she do? She shot the ball great. She passed the ball great. She handled the ball. She rebounded. She’s become a really good defender. So what numbers do you need to go up? For her, it’s more subtle. But there’s a big difference in her already, just watching her play, because there’s more experience around her.”

A "big difference in her already"? Good grief Geno - that's incredible praise!

I am so excited for this team. Obviously nervous when we play some other really good teams, but I have a feeling this year the team will absolutely refuse to lose. I seriously would not be surprised to see them go undefeated, which would be an incredible accomplishment given they likely play the other top program in the nation at least twice, and 3 times if they face off in the NCAA's.

Another tremendous Geno comment:

She’s easy to coach,” Auriemma said. “I don’t think I’ve ever had a great player that was difficult to coach. Some were more interesting than others in the way they went about their business, but I’ve never had a great player that was hard to coach. For those people out there reading, that’s what made them great players.”

Reaction Score
Auriemma called Bueckers “competitive, confident and delusional,” and added, “That’s what I love about her.”
From the article:

She’s playful, sarcastic, kind of delightfully overbearing. Her personality might be as unique as her play. She’ll say she’s the best, at everything, whether she is or not. Just being who she is, and playing the way she plays, could cast a shadow on teammates if it weren’t properly understood.

She knows how to get her teammates to understand who and what she is. She doesn't take herself so seriously, and I think it only goes to show to her teammates just how serious she actually is.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Auriemma called Bueckers “competitive, confident and delusional,” and added, “That’s what I love about her.”
One of my favorite quotes is from Salvador Dali. I don't remember it exactly (so it's not really a quote, I guess), but it want something like, At the age of four I wanted to be a baker; at six, a policeman. At eight I wanted to be Napoleon, and my aspirations have been growing ever since.

Sounds like Paige wants to be the Napoleon of basketball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One of my favorite quotes is from Salvador Dali. I don't remember it exactly (so it's not really a quote, I guess), but it want something like, At the age of four I wanted to be a baker; at six, a policeman. At eight I wanted to be Napoleon, and my aspirations have been growing ever since.

She is already better and taller.

Reaction Score

I'd rather Paige aspire to be Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf of basketball. Things did not end well for Napoleon...

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I am intrigued by Geno's comment that he has never had a great player who was difficult to coach...especially when he adds 'for those people out there reading etc'. Perhaps I am reading too much into that last part but I wonder if he is directing that at a specific high school player [or players] whether it be from 2022 or beyond? It just struck me that way.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am intrigued by Geno's comment that he has never had a great player who was difficult to coach...especially when he adds 'for those people out there reading etc'. Perhaps I am reading too much into that last part but I wonder if he is directing that at a specific high school player [or players] whether it be from 2022 or beyond? It just struck me that way.
I just interpreted as a general statement. Great players love to be coached and practice and those players never give him (real) difficulties. Of course, Paige drives Geno crazy but that is clearly part of her charm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom