New Overtime League for WBB | The Boneyard

New Overtime League for WBB

Reaction Score

This will be interesting to see next summer. How will it impact the AAU landscape if the best players opt for this over EYBL and Under Armour? Guess we'll see in 2024.

Reaction Score
I love the idea behind it all and hope that it all works out. This is such a great event for elite high school girls' basketball. Great question on how it will impact the AAU landscape. It will be interesting to see what develops and see who is coaching and how that works. I just love the idea with these players getting the workshops on building their brand, media training/public relations development, and the whole financial literacy element. Some of these players have a strong support system behind them and some players don't but this is going to be a great way for parents and players to ask questions and prepare for the new NIL landscape.

Reaction Score
I think I like the idea... but I'm not entirely sure. Preparing young women for the pressures of college ball sounds like a good idea. But is it too focused on NIL advising? And what happens if NIL becomes completely different in a few years? And will they encourage these kid to play other sports so they don't become prone to ACL injuries? In other words, preparing kids for D1 WBB may require a different direction than merely pre-professionalism.

But one thing I like is the idea of reimagining teen-agers having a more coherent preparation for D1 basketball than just high school coaches and summer leagues. In the long run, say 20 years from now, we may be seeing the seeds of what could become a pre-professional "minor league" for players. Maybe we could begin to imagine an alternative venue for youth athletics than the NCAA. After all, sports and education have never really been a perfect fit, and though NIL addressed some of the inequities from the players' perspective, it did nothing to address the massive distortion of the educational institutions themselves.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of Overtime being behind this personally. The concept is great, but it's going segregate the landscape even further I fear.

Here are my thoughts and questions:

1). It's being made available to a small group of select athletes who, while are very deserving, it's likely they have teams in place to support them in these areas. For example, the father of the DiPaulo twins seems to already have a gameplan for his daughters.

2). What's Overtime's long term goal here, a seperate league like their boy's league? That takes away a good portion of players away from the competitive high school landscape.

3). We're already seeing the battles between EYBL and UAA. What does this do to the teams who have these top players?

4). Will international talent, like the Prospers, Fourniers, Kovals, etc., get a chance to be considered? How will the invitation process work?

5). It will build a larger gap between those who can afford to have the resources to compete at this level. It's getting to a point where these kids are spending more to be ready for NCAA than it would like cost in tuition it seems, at least to me. What's the long term trade off? Making the pros in a space that's tough enough to crack as it is? Will the NIL money be enough to cover the investment?

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of Overtime being behind this personally. The concept is great, but it's going segregate the landscape even further I fear.

Here are my thoughts and questions:

1). It's being made available to a small group of select athletes who, while are very deserving, it's likely they have teams in place to support them in these areas. For example, the father of the DiPaulo twins seems to already have a gameplan for his daughters.

2). What's Overtime's long term goal here, a seperate league like their boy's league? That takes away a good portion of players away from the competitive high school landscape.

3). We're already seeing the battles between EYBL and UAA. What does this do to the teams who have these top players?

4). Will international talent, like the Prospers, Fourniers, Kovals, etc., get a chance to be considered? How will the invitation process work?

5). It will build a larger gap between those who can afford to have the resources to compete at this level. It's getting to a point where these kids are spending more to be ready for NCAA than it would like cost in tuition it seems, at least to me. What's the long term trade off? Making the pros in a space that's tough enough to crack as it is? Will the NIL money be enough to cover the investment?
Great questions and I hope that whoever is on the Overtime board or in charge of things, thinks about the long game and builds something positive for our high school girls especially those that are highly ranked or in that "elite" status.

Reaction Score
Great questions and I hope that whoever is on the Overtime board or in charge of things, thinks about the long game and builds something positive for our high school girls especially those that are highly ranked or in that "elite" status.
Thanks. I do as well, but with how things are trending in basketball, it feels like this going the way of rep hockey in Canada. To play at the highest level, you have to have deep pockets to be able to stay in the sport long term.

Reaction Score
8 teams X 12 players = 96 total players.

So basically that would be equivalent to Hoopgurlz Top 100 - which isn't released until the end of Summer. So, who picks the top 96? What's their process for choosing players? Watch film of a thousand prospects? Doubtful. Look at HG, Prospect Nation, Blue Star, ASGR and PrepGirls (do the latter still do national rankings?)? Is it open only for rising seniors or could it include "future classes? Look at Raoul from a pool of 96 players chosen by Overtime?

Does overtime pick 96 participants and the coaches hold a draft from the 96? Or doe the coaches pick their team from a wide open field?

I don't have a problem with Paige being a coach if she is no longer playing for UConn at that time. I do have a problem with current college players having that direct, daily contact with prospects. Does Geno tell Stewie who to pick? Does Dawn help Zia pick?

A lot to be worked out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom