OT: New Orleans changing their name to the Pelicans | The Boneyard

OT: New Orleans changing their name to the Pelicans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes, you read that right.

(Unless you're HuskyfanDan, in which case you probably read that as, "UConn just got an invite to the B1G.")
Hope not the brown pelicans. That bird is heading south to dodo land. And the oil spill accelerated things.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I went to Loomis Chaffee - we were the Pelicans. A fearsome beast to be sure! Better than my college mascot - the Sagehen - the only animals that gives up when cornered.

Reaction Score
New Orleans Brass was the clear choice here . They blew it. Plus they would have screwed up this quiz http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/nosproname

Edit: Wait, no it wouldn't
That used to be the name of an ECHL franchise. I read Angels and Spirit were the frontrunners. Pelicans is a big surprise. Cool name for an NBA team, IMO.

The "Charlotte Hornets" IS a traditional name for Charlotte franchises. They had baseball teams and a World Football League franchise (1974-75) with that name.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If they change the name to Pelicans it will be for a brief time

Reaction Score
If they change the name to Pelicans it will be for a brief time
Until some corporation buys naming rights? The Memphis Grizzlies were close to being named the Memphis Express after Fed Ex.

Reaction Score
Pelican was the name of a train run by the Southern Railway from Washington to NO. Pelican has a long association with NO and good for them for keeping the classic.

Reaction Score
Until some corporation buys naming rights? The Memphis Grizzlies were close to being named the Memphis Express after Fed Ex.

I like that better. Grizzlies in Memphis, why did they choose that?

Reaction Score
I went to Loomis Chaffee - we were the Pelicans. A fearsome beast to be sure! Better than my college mascot - the Sagehen - the only animals that gives up when cornered.

Another LC grad here, so I kinda like the name. And as also mentioned above, the pelican does have a special association with New Orleans. But a fearsome mascot it is not.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Another LC grad here, so I kinda like the name. And as also mentioned above, the pelican does have a special association with New Orleans. But a fearsome mascot it is not.

Anchovies fear them.

Reaction Score
I like that better. Grizzlies in Memphis, why did they choose that?
There also used to be a WFL franchise in Memphis called the Southmen but were called the "Grizzlies" by the locals since they had a bear as the logo. They were originally going to be the Toronto Northmen. The Canadian government blocked the Northmen, so they became the Southmen. The Southmen were Elvis Presley's favorite team. He used to attend their games.

Here's what appears to be the Pelicans' logo. Nothing too flashy. Bland, actually.

18183_4350559881309_638323046_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99