New on the Blog: Picking a Breakout from Each Big East Team | The Boneyard

New on the Blog: Picking a Breakout from Each Big East Team

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wonder when all these replies are gonna figure out who the author of this blog/article is
I assume everyone knows. He’s great at this stuff. We rely on his pre game scouting and encouraged this. I’m far too lazy to do it.

@Hey Adrien! I’d only say I expected surprises. Not Kaluma (already a stud), Hawkins, or even Richmond (UConn nemesis). But breakout can mean different things. Certainly can be guys who jump from very good to fantastic. I think Tyrese was a solid “breakout” example last year. Samson is UConn‘s breakout guy this year in my mind.

Reaction Score
Kaluma lol. Does he really think he will suddenly turn it around and be good? :eek:

Reaction Score
I assume everyone knows. He’s great at this stuff. We rely on his pre game scouting and encouraged this. I’m far too lazy to do it.

@Hey Adrien! I’d only say I expected surprises. Not Kaluma (already a stud), Hawkins, or even Richmond (UConn nemesis). But breakout can mean different things. Certainly can be guys who jump from very good to fantastic. I think Tyrese was a solid “breakout” example last year. Samson is UConn‘s breakout guy this year in my mind.
Very kind of you, thanks.

OK, open discourse time. I like it:

Kaluma. Creighton was a tough pick for me simply because their rotation seems pretty set and the only young player who wasn't already a key player last year who might get significant playing time is Mason Miller, but it's also hard for me to see him getting a lot of playing time with Kaluma and Scheierman getting 30+ mpg.

So instead of grasping at straws, I decided to go with Kaluma. As mentioned in the article, he wasn't listed on the All-Big East First, Second or Honorable Mention teams and I think he has a chance of being the Big East POY, so hence the breakout choice.

Richmond. The top-nine players in Seton Hall are upperclassmen, so that kinda defeats the purpose of picking an undergrad. I thought about Tray Jackson, but the presence of Yetna/Ndefo/Samuel make it seem like another season with an evenly split frontcourt rotation, thus limiting Jackson's ceiling.

I also don't like picking transfers who were already key players in their previous schools (Ndefo, Odukale, Dawes), so I went with Richmond.

Similar to Kaluma, I predict Richmond to go from "not mentioned" to All-Big East First team in one season. My reasons for this are on the article.

Hawkins. I don't think I need to justify this one. He's been a lot of people's breakout pick here.

Thanks for all of those who have been reading and supporting this new project of mine!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Very kind of you, thanks.

OK, open discourse time. I like it:

Kaluma. Creighton was a tough pick for me simply because their rotation seems pretty set and the only young player who wasn't already a key player last year who might get significant playing time is Mason Miller, but it's also hard for me to see him getting a lot of playing time with Kaluma and Scheierman getting 30+ mpg.

So instead of grasping at straws, I decided to go with Kaluma. As mentioned in the article, he wasn't listed on the All-Big East First, Second or Honorable Mention teams and I think he has a chance of being the Big East POY, so hence the breakout choice.

Richmond. The top-nine players in Seton Hall are upperclassmen, so that kinda defeats the purpose of picking an undergrad. I thought about Tray Jackson, but the presence of Yetna/Ndefo/Samuel make it seem like another season with an evenly split frontcourt rotation, thus limiting Jackson's ceiling.

I also don't like picking transfers who were already key players in their previous schools (Ndefo, Odukale, Dawes), so I went with Richmond.

Similar to Kaluma, I predict Richmond to go from "not mentioned" to All-Big East First team in one season. My reasons for this are on the article.

Hawkins. I don't think I need to justify this one. He's been a lot of people's breakout pick here.

Thanks for all of those who have been reading and supporting this new project of mine!
This makes sense. I don’t think Richmond will be first team, maybe honorable mention though. Kaluma has a good shot at first team. But you’re right, the Big East is loaded with veteran guys, so not every team is really going to have a “breakout” guy.

Mentally when I think breakout, I’m thinking of guys who were off the radar and ended up being major contributors.

Reaction Score
Mentally when I think breakout, I’m thinking of guys who were off the radar and ended up being major contributors.
For sure.

I did the same type of article for the A-10 and the MAAC and it was much easier to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom