New NYT Article: Paige Bueckers Knows UConn’s History. She’s Paving Its Future. | The Boneyard

New NYT Article: Paige Bueckers Knows UConn’s History. She’s Paving Its Future.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Hate it when they block the story, I understand why, but I still hate it.
It’s all over Twitter as weird websites repost it. I suppose the NYT would hate me for saying that.

I still wish newspapers would let you buy just one article for $1. I’d do that all the time, I just don’t want to deal with lots of subscriptions that jump in price when you aren’t looking.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, here is an ironic quote

She said she has regularly talked to Auriemma about pressure, even before the season started. “He told me that people are always going to have things to say, whether it be negative or positive,” Bueckers said. “You’re not going to be perfect in anyone’s eyes, they’re always going to find something to talk about.

Actually, everyone agrees that Paige is Perfect.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those needing more formative years background on Paige, try this free article

It wasn't luck, Bob Beuckers said. He recalls his daughter spending hours practicing her dribbling in the community garage under her family’s condominium in suburban Minneapolis. When she wasn’t there or in a nearby park shooting, she was in her room, working on her form or jumping up against a wall trying to improve her vertical leap, she said.

“Every hour of every single day, I always wanted to have a basketball in my hand,” she said. “I just wanted to be super good at it because I loved it so much and that’s just what I did all the time was play basketball."

Bueckers and Auriemma also seem to understand each other. She said she enjoys being challenged, and knows that is what her 66-year-old coach is doing when he gets on her in practice, calling her a “walking turnover” or asking if she plans to hit any shots that day.

“I'm just trying to prove him wrong and make him be quiet sometimes,” she said. "You have to take it, swallow it and get better from it."

Bueckers has heard the talk that she would be an WNBA lottery pick as soon as she is eligible. But she said she plans to earn her degree at UConn before moving on to fulfill her dream of playing professionally.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

She said she has regularly talked to Auriemma about pressure, even before the season started. “He told me that people are always going to have things to say, whether it be negative or positive,” Bueckers said. “You’re not going to be perfect in anyone’s eyes, they’re always going to find something to talk about.

She had a turnover last night and missed two shots... soooooo...

Not to mention she's only like 80% from the free throw line.

The kid obviously isn't that great.

:rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I sincerely hope that next season has Covid restrictions lifted and UConn fans can get to see Paige up close and personal and Paige gets to have her crowds cheering loudly for her remarkable exploits.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It’s all over Twitter as weird websites repost it. I suppose the NYT would hate me for saying that.

I still wish newspapers would let you buy just one article for $1. I’d do that all the time, I just don’t want to deal with lots of subscriptions that jump in price when you aren’t looking.
The online sale price is $1 per week. Hard to pass up.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

They let you subscribe for $1 per month and you can cancel anytime so it's kind of the same thing. FWIW, I think registration is all you need for access. You don't have to subscribe. There wasn't much meat to the story anyway.

Reaction Score
From another article, but my favorite thing I've seen written about Paige all year:
"Bueckers has heard the talk that she would be an WNBA lottery pick as soon as she is eligible. But she said she plans to earn her degree at UConn before moving on to fulfill her dream of playing professionally."

Reaction Score

The NYTimes will let you read the entire paper every day for a $1/wk. The deal doesn't last forever, but they're always offering something similar.
By the way, I love the expression in the article: "Bueckers’s buttery shooting." Perfect; that's just what it is, smooth as buttah. Another possible moniker for That Girl: Butter? ("That girl/kid" is Geno's formulation.

Reaction Score
Sorry. Reminds me of the story of Breanna dribbling around her neighborhood to improve her handle.

Reaction Score
I’m just catching-up on reading The New York Times. Well, Saturday, February 20th has a full-page, cover of the sports section on Paige! Headlines read “A Freshman Brings UCONN Back to No. 1 As Expected.”
Same article as above .....however, I’m jumping for joy because this is so cool. Front page, full
article, no other sports news on the sports front page, But Paige! How cool is that!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cosgriff said: “She was the best player in the state by the time she was in eighth grade.”

Reaction Score
Anyone else see The Print Version?
Full page, Full Paige, Awesome!
A version of this article appears in print on Feb. 20, 2021, Section B, Page 7 of the New York edition with the headline: A Freshman Brings UConn Back to No. 1. As Expected.

Reaction Score
For those needing more formative years background on Paige, try this free article

For those who hit the Chronicle paywall limit, here's the same AP article on a Boston site:

Reaction Score

Until she isn't! I remember reading a quip the other day (may have even been posted here in TBY, but my memory fails me), about a teacher that set up a multiplication table with 10 problems. She purposely posted 9 correct answers, but 1 'incorrect' one. The students all laughed because she made a mistake. But, as she pointed out, she had 9 correct answers that were ignored, but the one with the mistake was the one they picked on. So........look out Paige! :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom