OT: - New North Carolina bill would require UNC, NC State to exit ACC if state is boycotted again | The Boneyard

OT: New North Carolina bill would require UNC, NC State to exit ACC if state is boycotted again

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
North Carolina legislators filed a bill this week that would require North Carolina and NC State to withdraw from the ACC should the conference decide to boycott the state again.

Last year, the ACC decided to pull its neutral-site championship games and tournaments out of North Carolina because of House Bill 2, the controversial law that limited legal protections for the LGBTQ community.

In March, the North Carolina legislature passed a measure that repealed House Bill 2. As a result, the ACC said the football championship game would return to Charlotte, North Carolina, and all other neutral-site championships that had existing contracts would return as well, beginning with the 2017-18 calendar.

But several North Carolina legislators were unhappy with the initial decision the ACC Council of Presidents made to boycott the state. They have proposed House Bill 728, filed Tuesday, which states any public state school in a conference that boycotts North Carolina would be barred from "extending any grant of media rights to the conference" and "shall immediately provide written notice to the conference that the constituent institution intends to withdraw from the conference no later than when the assignment of its media rights expire, unless the conference immediately ends the boycott."

[FULL ARTICLE]

Reaction Score
cut_off_nose.jpeg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1) trying to find an appropriate gif/pic for this that wont get deleted by the mods

2) some of these clowns need to be put on a United flight ASAP :rolleyes:

3) public service announcement...... I didnt vote for any of these clowns ..... so dont hold me responsible for such nonsense. :oops:

Reaction Score
It's a smart move. The NCAA doesn't have the power or 'nads to punish UNC. Do you think the ACC would ever launch a boycott if it means both of the NC flagship publics quitting? Expect it to pass followed by a string of proposals crushing minority rights.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's a smart move. The NCAA doesn't have the power or 'nads to punish UNC. Do you think the ACC would ever launch a boycott if it means both of the NC flagship publics quitting? Expect it to pass followed by a string of proposals crushing minority rights.

33863017.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If UNC & NC St were ever to leave the ACC, the consequences would be as follows:
  • UNC & NC St would lose millions in tv, bowl and related revenue.
  • UNC & NC St would have to pay millions in separation fees to the ACC
  • Recruiting at UNC & NC St would be devastated and many top athletes would transfer,
  • The ACC would lick their wounds and set about finding 2 new members among a bevy of willing universities, including one with a particularly strong WBB program in Storrs, CT :)
Sounds like a great idea to me :cool:

Reaction Score
The people that run North Carolina must be on drugs or something. Or are people in North Carolina just dumb?

Reaction Score
Just the politicians. The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
And who exactly empowers those politicians? They got into their positions of power some how.

JS

Reaction Score
The people that run North Carolina must be on drugs or something. Or are people in North Carolina just dumb?
Bit of a broad brush, eh? Smart people and dumb people everywhere.

Smart like the Speaker of the North Carolina legislature who said a new bill -- to declare a United States Supreme Court decision unconstitutional -- is DOA.

images

Or dumb like one of the authors of that bill who defended it by suggesting Lincoln was a tyrant like Hitler.

C'mon Larry, let me help you back into your room.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...-politics/article144216324.html#storylink=cpy
See? It takes all kinds.

Reaction Score
Bit of a broad brush, eh? Smart people and dumb people everywhere.

Smart like the Speaker of the North Carolina legislature who said a new bill -- to declare a United States Supreme Court decision unconstitutional -- is DOA.

images

Or dumb like one of the authors of that bill who defended it by suggesting Lincoln was a tyrant like Hitler.

C'mon Larry, let me help you back into your room.
See? It takes all kinds.
I'm OK broad brushing in this case because politicians are in their position of power because their ideas align closely to the majority of the constituents in their districts. So, we either have a majority of North Carolinians that believe as their elected officials do and give at least their tacit approval to this nonsense, or they were willfully ignorant when voting, or the politicians did a 180 in their views once elected. In any case, the majority of North Carolinians broke it, so now they own it.

Reaction Score
Just the politicians. The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Ah, the definition is entomologically suspect, but brilliant nonetheless!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If UNC & NC St were ever to leave the ACC, the consequences would be as follows:
  • UNC & NC St would lose millions in tv, bowl and related revenue.
  • UNC & NC St would have to pay millions in separation fees to the ACC
  • Recruiting at UNC & NC St would be devastated and many top athletes would transfer,
  • The ACC would lick their wounds and set about finding 2 new members among a bevy of willing universities, including one with a particularly strong WBB program in Storrs, CT :)
Sounds like a great idea to me :cool:

My guess is the SEC would scoop them up in about 10 seconds.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My guess is the SEC would scoop them up in about 10 seconds.
Maybe, but the SEC has been looking to the Southwest towards OK & TX for future expansion because it's all about football in the SEC, and while NC & NC St are respectable football programs, they're not OK & TX.

the Q

Reaction Score
Maybe, but the SEC has been looking to the Southwest towards OK & TX for future expansion because it's all about football in the SEC, and while NC & NC St are respectable football programs, they're not OK & TX.

Give them time.

Give them time.

No one says they can't get both.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Can't imagine that the state will actually pass this because I think it is so short-sighted. But a lot of things have surprised me recently.

Personally, I am disappointed that the ACC reversed its principled course of action and ended its NC boycott over a bill that really was window dressing and didn't address the core issue of concern. I'd love to see them reverse again but won't hold my breath.

the Q

Reaction Score
Can't imagine that the state will actually pass this because I think it is so short-sighted. But a lot of things have surprised me recently.

Personally, I am disappointed that the ACC reversed its principled course of action and ended its NC boycott over a bill that really was window dressing and didn't address the core issue of concern. I'd love to see them reverse again but won't hold my breath.

I'm disappointed that these places get involved in politics at all, when it's frankly none of their business.

But then again, their short-sighted view of politics allowed South Carolina to get a virtual home game against Duke and provide everyone with a public service.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks that the majority of North Carolinas agree with such drafted bills are Fools.

Reaction Score

it's quite possible both are true.................ask Triaddukefan that one

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks that the majority of North Carolinas agree with such drafted bills are Fools.
Right. I'm sure the discrimination loving politicians just waltzed into Raleigh and declared themselves kings of North Carolina. Nope the poor poor plebes have no say whatsoever as to who runs the state and represents their interests.

Reaction Score
it's quite possible both are true.......ask Triaddukefan that one
I was kidding. I just find ignorance at the voting booth to be a bit frustrating. As if folks didn't know they were electing bigots into office and didn't have a choice. If people believe that, I've got some prime real estate for sale, a bit swampy but trust me it's a steal.

Reaction Score
I'm sure most North Carolinians don't want either state schools to leave the ACC but not all that sure on the earlier rulings that caused the initial problems

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom