OT: - New Neighbor, Old Trees | The Boneyard

OT: New Neighbor, Old Trees

Reaction Score
At the north edge of our home, five old, beautiful oak trees stood for the better part of a century. On the other side of our line is a previously vacated property that was purchased two weeks ago after three years of abandonment. On Monday, we got a business card from our new neighbor and on Tuesday, these five oak trees were totally gone. Their trunks are all on their property line, but the branches are evenly spread throughout both properties. Once a source of beauty and privacy, our north side of the property now has a clear view to the neighboring lot.

I'm sure the felling is totally legal, but anyone with experience in this on what is typical in terms of general neighborly etiquette? I'm just surprised we got no warning or even a discussion that this was going to happen. Not the best first impression from our new neighbor.

Reaction Score
At the north edge of our home, five old, beautiful oak trees stood for the better part of a century. On the other side of our line is a previously vacated property that was purchased two weeks ago after three years of abandonment. On Monday, we got a business card from our new neighbor and on Tuesday, these five oak trees were totally gone. Their trunks are all on their property line, but the branches are evenly spread throughout both properties. Once a source of beauty and privacy, our north side of the property now has a clear view to the neighboring lot.

I'm sure the felling is totally legal, but anyone with experience in this on what is typical in terms of general neighborly etiquette? I'm just surprised we got no warning or even a discussion that this was going to happen. Not the best first impression from our new neighbor.

Paint your house an absurd color.

Reaction Score
Their trees they don’t need anyone input or permission! If the branches fell and did damage to a neighbors property they would be responsible! My question is what did you want the owner of the tree to do?

Reaction Score
were the trunks on their property or on the property line? if the trunks were on their property line then by definition they were also on your property line and, iirc, may have constituted a "border fence." they had no right to cut them down without your permission. i'd sue the bleep out of them!

arch

Reaction Score
Good fences make good neighbors?
1615575238283.jpeg

Reaction Score
Their trees they don’t need anyone input or permission! If the branches fell and did damage to a neighbors property they would be responsible! My question is what did you want the owner of the tree to do?
"Once a source of beauty and privacy, our north side of the property now has a clear view to the neighboring lot."

I don't like answering for people, but I daresay the OP wanted the owner of the trees to leave them alone.

Reaction Score
were the trunks on their property or on the property line? if the trunks were on their property line then by definition they were also on your property line and, iirc, may have constituted a "border fence." they had no right to cut them down without your permission. i'd sue the bleep out of them!
Good correction. The trees are securely on their property line so I'm not questioning the legality. If I were in the same situation, I'd at least let my neighbor what was happening.

Reaction Score

Sorry for your loss. Agree, if they are on your neighbor's property its their right to take them down but courtesy is nice. Especially for old-timers like that. I have 2 pin oaks 45" diameter in my backyard and they are as close as family.

If you mow that end of the yard, keep an eye out for saplings in the spring and summer, and give them some love. Oaks are pretty hardy from almost everything and are one of the few native trees predicted to thrive in Connecticut's future climate

Reaction Score
You can plant trees. They'll be big enough soon.
Hard to replace century old oaks. But OP will have done right by their piece of land if they can cultivate a new generation of growth. Stewardship is as valuable as the trees themselves

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No tree ordinances in your town?

Where I live trees of a certain diameter have to get approval for tearing down or owner must plant new trees to replace the bigger tree.

Trees are a PITA. One thing I have learned over years with hurricanes and ice storms.

If a neighbor's tree falls in to your yard and the tree is healthy, you have to pay for damages to your property.

If neighbor has a dead tree and it falls in to your yard, they are responsible for damages.

Is it possible the trees were infected with a disease? Or, could they have been dying?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If the trunks were on their side, not much you can do, but still a crappy way for a new neighbor to behave.

Suggest getting the biggest trees you can and planting them on your side of the line. There are people who simply don't want to deal with trees, raking leaves etc. See a lot of housing in the midwest that has very few trees. Well, don't let that be an option. They will rake the leaves from your trees soon enough.

Reaction Score
Good correction. The trees are securely on their property line so I'm not questioning the legality. If I were in the same situation, I'd at least let my neighbor what was happening.
They don’t make neighbors like they use to do!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The Boneyard: where to turn when you need terrible legal advice.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To what end, really? Either you would be good with it or give them some stick. Who needs it? We took some trees down a few years ago. Getting input from the neighbor never entered my mind.

Sure, if the trees are clearly on your property. But if they straddle the line?

Reaction Score
Is it possible the trees were infected with a disease? Or, could they have been dying?
They were completely healthy. We get an annual tree report and it's funny, those trees are on the same side of the property as our leaching field, so they get a lot of good...nitrogen. ;)

Reaction Score
To what end, really? Either you would be good with it or give them some stick. Who needs it? We took some trees down a few years ago. Getting input from the neighbor never entered my mind.
How big is your property and were the trees near a property line?

My block has lots in the 1/3-3/4 acre range within a wooded part of the city, so it's rare to have trees that do not cross property lines. For example, the biggest oak close to our property is on our neighbors lot. The way the wind blows, we get most of their leaves so as a neighborly act, the neighbor helps blow these onto his property, particularly late in post-peak season.

Again, I'm not arguing the legality of it, just wanted some type of communication but then again I live in an area close to the neighbors so I'm used to talking to them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Our next door neighbor had all their maples cut down, one of which dropped a shitton of leaves in our backyard. Didn't affect our privacy, but they did let us know what was going to happen since many of the downed branches were going to land in our backyard. Additionally the contractor needed to remove a section of picket fence for access. One of these days I need to go fix that as it's now 4" higher than the surrounding fence. Anyway, there were a lot less leaves to pickup this year, so I'm good with it, but happy they gave us warning.

As far as planting new, the neighbor on our other side had some arborvitae that died a few years ago that they used for privacy. Planted all new arborvitae two years ago. Those died too. So maybe skip those if your soil/light isn't right. He can see my patio, I can see his den. Wife is old and fugly, so not really anything to see there, lol.

Reaction Score
No tree ordinances in your town?

Where I live trees of a certain diameter have to get approval for tearing down or owner must plant new trees to replace the bigger tree.

Trees are a PITA. One thing I have learned over years with hurricanes and ice storms.

If a neighbor's tree falls in to your yard and the tree is healthy, you have to pay for damages to your property.

If neighbor has a dead tree and it falls in to your yard, they are responsible for damages.

Yes, check if you have a tree ordinance. Many municipalities do and they can have pretty strong remediation attached.

Reaction Score
Ive got 20+ acres and one side of me a guy drops his discarded christmas tree on my property. I see it and call him and say “move it, i know they are woods, but not your woods”

He drags his feet and i text him and say no problem i’ll move it to your front porch tomorrow and we’ll schedule a mixed media of tin and barbed wire fence install for the spring so there’s property line clarity.

That guy couldn’t move fast enough once he knew the eyesore and tetanus vector i was going to unleash on him and his family.

Long way to go to say I 100% agree with @Letsgohuskies11 and @arch

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Plant some new trees directly where the old ones stood, but firmly on your property.

Every town is different, and sure it would have been nice for them to tell you they were taking them down, but I do not believe they are required to.

Luckily my town has an ordinance on how much clearing you can do. I think we are required to have a third of the property with tree coverage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom