New NCAA President - same challenges. | The Boneyard

New NCAA President - same challenges.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Here we go again- new decade- same help from our senators

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

So instead of working on any of the myriad of problems facing the nation, Murphy is writing to a private organization and encouraging them to take a stance that would effectively kill athletics?

I hope you can fans remember this the next time he comes up for reelection.

Reaction Score
So instead of working on any of the myriad of problems facing the nation, Murphy is writing to a private organization and encouraging them to take a stance that would effectively kill athletics?

I haven't given this a ton of thought and there are a lot of "puts and takes" to this, but it seems like this can help UConn in the sense that it might become an impetus for some of the smaller/private P5 schools to have to decide whether they are all-in on this or not. If employee status becomes a reality (and I personally think it or something very close to it should becausethe athletes are being taken advantage of in many ways), then won't it force the Wake Forests, BC's, Vanderbilts, etc to have to be all-in or bow out? If a few bow out (admittedly not likely it'd be Vandy because they have access to SEC football revenue streams), then it would create opportunities for UConn to potentially slide into an open spot in the ACC.

Maybe this sort of collectively bargained situation is what FSU thinks could be a loophole in getting out of the ACC GOR? It would sure be nice to understand if any loopholes exist but alas that GOR has been analyzed by only the schools themselves and is guarded better than gold at Fort Knox... Could FSU argue in front of a jury that due to a collectively bargained labor situation extreme hardship has been caused and get sympathy to exit the GOR? The FSU folks are besides themselves and who knows what they are thinking?!

Reaction Score

It sounds like in a long roundabout way he is trying to use UConn's success in women's sports in a positive way. I can't fault him for criticizing the NCAA. And not to be political, but he even quoted Justice Kavanaugh to play nice.

Reaction Score
I haven't given this a ton of thought and there are a lot of "puts and takes" to this, but it seems like this can help UConn in the sense that it might become an impetus for some of the smaller/private P5 schools to have to decide whether they are all-in on this or not. If employee status becomes a reality (and I personally think it or something very close to it should becausethe athletes are being taken advantage of in many ways), then won't it force the Wake Forests, BC's, Vanderbilts, etc to have to be all-in or bow out? If a few bow out (admittedly not likely it'd be Vandy because they have access to SEC football revenue streams), then it would create opportunities for UConn to potentially slide into an open spot in the ACC.

Maybe this sort of collectively bargained situation is what FSU thinks could be a loophole in getting out of the ACC GOR? It would sure be nice to understand if any loopholes exist but alas that GOR has been analyzed by only the schools themselves and is guarded better than gold at Fort Knox... Could FSU argue in front of a jury that due to a collectively bargained labor situation extreme hardship has been caused and get sympathy to exit the GOR? The FSU folks are besides themselves and who knows what they are thinking?!
To me it seems they are already past that point and now it's just how far are they willing to go? The mission of those schools is more similar to the Ivies than to Mississippi State. At some point they'll have to own that. Even a school like Berkeley should admit that it shouldn't be part of this game plan and can mock UCLA for its hypocrisy and greed. Notre Dame will have tough choices to make.

CL82

Reaction Score

Maybe, but it’s far more likely it’s just a senator talking out his ass about something that is not in his control (and that he doesn’t have a firm grasp of) rather than actually doing his job.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'll be donating to the accounting department the moment this business shifts to employees.

Reaction Score

I was thinking the same thing, but as far as reelection goes though, if the choice is between him or the Jewish space laser crowd, well I'm gonna have to stick with Murph.

CL82

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing, but as far as reelection goes though, if the choice is between him or the Jewish space laser crowd, well I'm gonna have to stick with Murph.
I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds like a rejected Austin Powers plot.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but it’s far more likely it’s just a senator talking out his ass about something that is not in his control (and that he doesn’t have a firm grasp of) rather than actually doing his job.
I don't necessarily agree. Murphy has been the Senator leading the talks about this. Washington politicos can definitely drive the NCAA to advance the collective bargaining situation because the NCAA is afraid of losing their historical kingdom powers. And don't forget, most of the P5 are state universities at the mercy of state legislature budgeting. So for better/for worse, college athletics are going to get more pressure/not less on this stuff. Why do you think the NCAA selected who they did as its new head?

CL82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Wait, she’s going to run in Connecticut?! Uh good luck with that!
Lol, knowing the Connecticut legislature, they will set up missiles at the border to prevent her entry

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily agree. Murphy has been the Senator leading the talks about this. Washington politicos can definitely drive the NCAA to advance the collective bargaining situation because the NCAA is afraid of losing their historical kingdom powers. And don't forget, most of the P5 are state universities at the mercy of state legislature budgeting. So for better/for worse, college athletics are going to get more pressure/not less on this stuff. Why do you think the NCAA selected who they did as its new head?
Yeah, if he was my senator, I’d be reaching out to him and saying hey, look work on getting jobs and infrastructure money for Connecticut and stop trying to destroy athletics for my beloved university.

Seriously, though, with all the stuff that’s going on right now, doesn’t it make more sense to have our elected officials actually work on legislating solutions rather than bullying private organizations?

Reaction Score
Yeah, if he was my senator, I’d be reaching out to him and saying hey, look work on getting jobs and infrastructure money for Connecticut and stop trying to destroy athletics for my beloved university.

Seriously, though, with all the stuff that’s going on right now, doesn’t it make more sense to have our elected officials actually work on legislating solutions rather than bullying private organizations?
The days I am working in Hartford there is nobody on the street. Job 1 should be a job creation machine. After that fund the progressive dreams to your hearts content

CL82

Reaction Score
Connecticut will get more than $5 billion from the infrastructure bill, and can apply for some portion of an additional $100 billion in grant programs. $150 million alone is going into Gold Star Bridge rehab with an additional $600 million going into repair or replacing other aging bridges. More than a billion dollars will go into mass transit. The bill is going to pay for things we need done yesterday. The anemic overall size of the investment is the limiting factor, and thus was never going to be able to fund wish list projects like the Hartford Viaduct.
Shooting Star GIF

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It sounds like in a long roundabout way he is trying to use UConn's success in women's sports in a positive way. I can't fault him for criticizing the NCAA. And not to be political, but he even quoted Justice Kavanaugh to play nice.

Murphy has chosen to inject himself into collegiate sports, but he’s decided to do it for the Twitter clout instead of trying to advocate for the state U. The other senator is equally useless.

Thankfully, Lamont appears to understand the lay of the land

Reaction Score
Murphy has chosen to inject himself into collegiate sports, but he’s decided to do it for the Twitter clout instead of trying to advocate for the state U. The other senator is equally useless.

Thankfully, Lamont appears to understand the lay of the land
The "other" Senator harmed UConn by filing a lawsuit against BC when they bolted for the ACC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The "other" Senator harmed UConn by filing a lawsuit against BC when they bolted for the ACC.

Worse…he sued some of the college presidents and, I think, Swoford, personally.

Just a disaster.

Reaction Score
Worse…he sued some of the college presidents and, I think, Swoford, personally.

Just a disaster.
Watch the deniers come out full force. Yet he shows up at parades

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom