New Name -- Bryce McNeal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Name -- Bryce McNeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, not directed at you and not directed at Dobbs. Dobbs may very well be a special player and you haven't said anything here I disagree with. I am just remarking how easy it is to think the next guy will be better than the current guys, so much so that people are doing it even though we have a TB who is likely to win the Big East rushing crown as a freshman.

Oh. I don't think I've seen anyone actually say that Dobbs would come in and be running with the #1's right away. But I'll take your word for it. When you look at what we are actually doing with the ground game, we are in need of somebody else besides McCombs that's capable of running with the #1's at the RB position for at least a statistically significant number of carries over the course of a game and a season. And when I say running the #1's at the RB position, it's got nothing to do with actually running with the ball in your hands. The only question is who it will be.

The biggest issue with te RB position, and this is probably completely counter-intuitive to people casually watching this sport, but the biggest issue with that position has nothing to do with actually being able to run the ball, it's the other more fundamental part of playing the offensive side of the ball - blocking. You could be a gazelle carrying the ball, but if you can't recognize a defense and block, when the ball is not in your hands, you are a big liability to an offense on the field.

Reaction Score
Oh. I don't think I've seen anyone actually say that Dobbs would come in and be running with the #1's right away. But I'll take your word for it. When you look at what we are actually doing with the ground game, we are in need of somebody else besides McCombs that's capable of running with the #1's at the RB position for at least a statistically significant number of carries over the course of a game and a season. And when I say running the #1's at the RB position, it's got nothing to do with actually running with the ball in your hands. The only question is who it will be.

The biggest issue with te RB position, and this is probably completely counter-intuitive to people casually watching this sport, but the biggest issue with that position has nothing to do with actually being able to run the ball, it's the other more fundamental part of playing the offensive side of the ball - blocking. You could be a gazelle carrying the ball, but if you can't recognize a defense and block, when the ball is not in your hands, you are a big liability to an offense on the field.

Which is exactly why I think Shoemate is likely to be the other TB on the depth chart next year. But we'll see.

Reaction Score
Dobbs still is an unknown, but given his size and performance at a very good prep in Milford I think there is a good reason to believe he can deliver at this level.

DJ has consistently put the ball on the ground and, to my eye, is a limited TB. I hope he proves me dead wrong, but I scratch my head seeing how he gets carries next season.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
usc wanted DJ to move to fb. he left when usc had its issues and wated to play rb somewhere. he came here etc. now we have a frosh running great and a frosh coming in who will get carries. its DJs last chance at making a career out of fball. he will move to fb and get drafted next year. he will look like sherman.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If there is a position where I don't care about redshirting it's running back. The good ones come in and contribute immediately. Often times backs are more effective as Freshman and Sophs than then are as upperclassmen.

As for Shoemate, after watching him on specials, I wonder if his calling should have been on the defensive side of the ball. He's shown some ability to catch the ball, so perhaps he would have been more effective at safety than in the backfield if he had pushed in that direction at some point.

Reaction Score
Which is exactly why I think Shoemate is likely to be the other TB on the depth chart next year. But we'll see.

Shoemate, or as our tailgating crew calls him who?mate, is either the least lucky player i've ever seen(injuries, fumbles) or he is not ever going to be a d1 tailback. He showed marginal vision, cutting ability, and power and a whole lot of issues in the little we have seen from him, and I am really struggling to see how he ever see's the field toting the rock.

That being said, I'll take any power back that we can muster at this point lol.

Reaction Score
yea right he doesnt need to be an all american for us we only need him to be bruiser back there for short yardage and a change of pace because we have a small guy in mccoombs and another comming in in dobbs . Does anyone know Hypolites deal? It doesnt look like JJL could fit this role and I am guessing there is a reason DeLorenzo was redshirted. I would like to see the staff give shoemate at this job next year.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I wonder if Foxx wouldn't move to wide receiver as he shown well in high school to catching the ball and has very good speed in space.
I think Dobbs has every chance to play next year especially with him coming in early Jan.

Reaction Score
If there is a position where I don't care about redshirting it's running back. The good ones come in and contribute immediately. Often times backs are more effective as Freshman and Sophs than then are as upperclassmen.

As for Shoemate, after watching him on specials, I wonder if his calling should have been on the defensive side of the ball. He's shown some ability to catch the ball, so perhaps he would have been more effective at safety than in the backfield if he had pushed in that direction at some point.

Yes and Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99