New Minnesota Coach | The Boneyard

New Minnesota Coach

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That was fast! Was her mind not really on the game with Arizona today perhaps?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Word on the street was she was miserable in West Virginia and wanted to get back to the Midwest. I think also one of her children plays somewhere in the Midwest as well. Who knows maybe she thrives in those cold northern state temperatures?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Word on the street was she was miserable in West Virginia and wanted to get back to the Midwest. I think also one of her children plays somewhere in the Midwest as well. Who knows maybe she thrives in those cold northern state temperatures?
Well, she's from Wisconsin and spent some very successful years at South Dakota. She knows the high school/AAU terrain, which will allow her to step right in recruiting-wise.

Good, solid hire.

Shout out to McGraw's Bench own Raoul, who predicted this match the moment Ms. Whelan stepped down. ;)

Reaction Score
That was fast! Was her mind not really on the game with Arizona today perhaps?
Hopefully it was. With the transfer portal open, the quicker the hire is made is better for school and players. As long as Minnesota did their due diligence, I like it. Whelan stepped down on the 2nd so I'm sure discussions with Dawn took place prior to ncaa tournament so hopefully Dawn was focused on her WV team. As with any job, whether an exiting employee phones in once they know they are leaving versus finished the job with class is really just an individual character issue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Director of Athletics Coyle is like....

Atlanta Braves Sport GIF by MLB

Reaction Score
We were excited about Coach Whalen here in Minnesota. Knowing and watching what Coach Plitzuweit was doing over in South Dakota. I can't speak for everyone here in Minnesota but I do know that I am excited about this hire. This is a great hire!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
ONE season in Morgantown, she MUST have been miserable.

I think she’ll right the ship in Minnesota, great move for her and the Minny AD.

Reaction Score
ONE season in Morgantown, she MUST have been miserable.

I think she’ll right the ship in Minnesota, great move for her and the Minny AD.
And got them to the tournament. Imagine what she will do when she's happy?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I know it happens, but it does rub me the wrong way that she was interviewing for this job while she should have been focusing on preparing her team for the Big 12 and/or NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
I know it happens, but it does rub me the wrong way that she was interviewing for this job while she should have been focusing on preparing her team for the Big 12 and/or NCAA tournament.
Even so, I thought her team played respectably against Arizona, a team with more heralded players playing on their home floor. The big hole where West Virginia’s front court should have been was a killer. New West Virginia coach will have a huge challenge early - even bigger if J J Quinerly moves on as some expect.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Even so, I thought her team played respectably against Arizona, a team with more heralded players playing on their home floor. The big hole where West Virginia’s front court should have been was a killer. New West Virginia coach will have a huge challenge early - even bigger if J J Quinerly moves on as some expect.
That game was at neutral site Maryland. If anyone had a homecourt advantage, it would have been nearby WVU.

For coaches who do this, they shouldn't be upset when their players announcing during the season that they are entering the transfer portal; it works both ways.

Reaction Score
That game was at neutral site Maryland. If anyone had a homecourt advantage, it would have been nearby WVU.

For coaches who do this, they shouldn't be upset when their players announcing during the season that they are entering the transfer portal; it works both ways.
Oh right. Still think WVU played well with a personnel disadvantage. The team looked well coached.

Reaction Score
What makes you think that she wasn't focusing or having the team prepared for the Big 12 or NCAA Tournament? A lot of coaches have an agent or a person who handles the behind the curtain stuff, so that coaches can focus on the day-to-day stuff. Plus, I am sure Coach Plitzuweit (I should have the spelling of her name down by the end of the day) is a true professional and had respect for West Virginia players and the university and not hold interviews until after the season was over.

Reaction Score

I think there are many coaches who are okay with players entering the portal. Sometimes you just know. Then, I agree, there are some coaches who do get upset when a player enters the portal.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
What makes you think that she wasn't focusing or having the team prepared for the Big 12 or NCAA Tournament? A lot of coaches have an agent or a person who handles the behind the curtain stuff, so that coaches can focus on the day-to-day stuff. Plus, I am sure Coach Plitzuweit (I should have the spelling of her name down by the end of the day) is a true professional and had respect for West Virginia players and the university and not hold interviews until after the season was over.
Come on now. The announcement came the same night after her WVU team was eliminated from the NCAA tourney just several hours earlier. The deal with Minnesota had been made days before that.

She obviously interviewed for that job. Probably had phone / video calls. And, I would be shocked if she didn't travel to Minneapolis to tour the campus and facilities, and meet important folks in person. All during the time her team was preparing for the Big 12 and NCAA tourneys. So, no, I don't think her complete focus was on West Virginia, and that is where it should have been until after her team was eliminated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sort of like when Rich Rod left the WVU football team for Michigan...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom