New Mexico | The Boneyard

New Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, what do we know about New Mexico???

It looks like they lost their best player from their tourney team last year, UCLA tranfer Drew Gordon.

However, they bring back a lot of their other top performers: 4 out of the starting 5 are juniors, so they have experience. Their starting center is a sophmore, is 7', and is avergaing almost a double double through 3 games.

On paper, this looks like a tough opponent. I never watch too much west coast hoops and missed all of the UNLV, SDSU, UNM battles from last year, but they look like a borderline top 25 team.

P.S. The Uconn men's soccer team has made it to the sweet sixteen, where they will face New Mexico!

Reaction Score
According to the Courant this morning, they are turnover prone, not a good rebounding team (despite the efforts of the big fella), and have squeaked by very weak opponents (like we did last night ;)). Should be a close game.

Reaction Score
I've watched a number of UNM games over the past couple years after attending New Mexico State.

I would say Tony Snell is their best player, he can flat out shoot it. Kendall Williams is their second best player in my opinion, very streaky shooter but has good size and can body up smaller guards. I would think about putting Calhoun or Daniels on him if he starts to take advantage of his size on Napier or Boatright.

I would say they are weak with their starting PG, Hugh Greenwood. He is a liability on defense and can be exposed by Boatright and Napier.

They do have some size down low, especially with Alex Kirk. He is not very mobile so T.O. should be able to get some easy baskets by just outrunning him down the floor. Kirk is a good rebounder and can shoot from three point land.

I don't know too much about their bench but they are bringing back Jamall Fenton who is a capable scorer.

UNM is not good with dribble penetration, Boatright and Napier can exploit this weakness all day if UNM doesn't go zone.

This team isn't as good as last year's team but they play hard and are well coached.

Reaction Score
At the very least, it's nice to see another smallish team. Hopefully it will allow us to do better on the glass.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling uconn cruises for some reason. Napier was not happy about how close the quinnipiac game was last night, and I think they play their hardest tonight to try to secure a second trophy in a season where they're not even supposed to be able to win one.

caw

Reaction Score
They looked pretty solid, but not unbeatable. A lot will depend on if UConn comes out as cold as it did against Q. How many layups did UConn miss, or open jumpers?

Reaction Score
I've been reading their board and they're pretty cocky. Just once I'd like to see fans of a west coast team not scream "EAST COAST BIAS" every chance they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom