New media contract - football exposure. | The Boneyard

New media contract - football exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
THanks for Desmond Conner, a good, long, long time reporter for UConn sports. A blog entry.

Somebody should put this discussion on Mike Aresco's desk. This is exactly the kind of crap that needs to be cleaned up with the next media deal. Exposure.

Big East football needs to be easy to find on TV - wherever you are - ESPECIALLY if you're in the local team broadcasting area.

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...football-games-on-tv-in-boston-area/#comments

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the new TV deal flexible enough so that NBC/ESPN carries the majority yet ESPN/NBC or whoever can carry a couple so that the Big East can have exposure on both. I'm looking 4-5 years into the future when teams like UConn, Houston, SMU and others have greatly improved and become perennial top 25 teams. At that point you might have multiple Big East games with national ramifications being played at the same time and it would be a shame if the league couldn't showcase those games on national TV, at the same time. As exciting as it might be to have a major network like NBC wanting to showcase the Big East I'd hate to lose those Big Monday games on ESPN for men's basketball. Yet I don't want to see ESPN relegating Big East Football to Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights so that they can keep their weekend slots open for other conferences.

ESPN rolled the dice a while back figuring Miami, Fla St, Clemson and maybe others from the ACC would be in the hunt for a national championship once in a while and wrote off Big East football. They lost that bet and the Big East took an unnecessary beating perception wise. You have to give some cudo's to the Big East though. They've been pilfered and picked at, laughed at and dare I say swindled but they bounce right back bigger and better with each punch they absorb. Now maybe it's their turn to shine brightly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hope the NBC Sports Network succeeds as an NHL fan & a fan of competition.

Unfortunately the reality of the network right now is that few, except diehards, A: know it exists and B: know if they get it. It's essentially the eqivalent of ESPNU.

Arguably true before the Olympics, but not so much anymore. I couldn't have told where it was before the Olympics but now I stop by from time to time.

For what it’s worth, sports fans will know it exists and turn to it. I couldn’t care less whether the Lifetime channel crowd knows it exists.

Reaction Score
NBC can and will promote the heck out of NBCSports if it wants to...It isn't as if it doesn't have the platforms to do that, during its NFL coverage, during its Notre Dame coverage, it can, and likely will carry games on NBC too either leading into or following Notre Dame. And the Olympics demonstrated that they have the resources to cover major athletic events. Besides, claver's post demonstrates exactly why it doesn't make sense to go the ESPN route any more. It is simply too crowded and unless they agree to better placement for Big East games, why take lousy time slots if NBC offers major placement?

Reaction Score
The real question to me is: how much air time does NBC plan to devote to College Football? Are we looking at 3-4 games on Saturdays? Considering Notre Dame is one of the games, does the NNBE have 2-3 compelling matchups each week that would draw eyeballs? Will they throw $ at it and make it look good on tv?

Part of the problem with ESPN is that the Big Leagues get all the best production teams/talent and the lesser games get the lesser talent. I realized this when UConn played Pitt a couple of years ago. Remember? They had the camera that goes over the play? They also had booth talent. And the game just looked...fantastic. It just looked better than other broadcasts.

If NBC can make the NNBE games look that good on a weekly basis and promote them like they are bigtime events, I'm in.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
You tell me if NBC Sports Network needs content. Here's the Saturday 9/1 schedule.

12:00 Collegiate Bass Fishing Championship
12:30 Under Wild Skies
1:00 FLW Outdoors
2:00 Swarovski Optik Quests
2:30 Fishing With Roland Martin
3:00 Motorcycle Racing "AMA Motocross: Mot
5:00 Racer TV "Walnut ATV Pro Motocross"
5:30 IndyCar 36
6:00 IndyCar Racing "Baltimore Grand Prix,
. 7:00 Caught Looking
. 8:00 Bull Riding
10:30 AM IndyCar 36
11:00 AM Bull Riding

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You tell me if NBC Sports Network needs content. Here's the Saturday 9/1 schedule.

12:00 Collegiate Bass Fishing Championship
12:30 Under Wild Skies
1:00 FLW Outdoors
2:00 Swarovski Optik Quests
2:30 Fishing With Roland Martin
3:00 Motorcycle Racing "AMA Motocross: Mot
5:00 Racer TV "Walnut ATV Pro Motocross"
5:30 IndyCar 36
6:00 IndyCar Racing "Baltimore Grand Prix,
. 7:00 Caught Looking
. 8:00 Bull Riding
10:30 AM IndyCar 36
11:00 AM Bull Riding

Holy crap!! When did Roland Martin get moved to 2:30?? I almost missed it. Also, I almost knew who #$k Roland Martin was...

Reaction Score
I am not sure where VS./NBC sports is on the CT cable packages, but it is up in the 600s on Directv. It would be a huge improvement if this channel was moved in the lineup to be with all the ESPNs. When people have 3 game to select from on ESPN/2/U plus the CBS/NBC/ABC it is tough to come across the games on the other channels unless you are looking for the game.

Reaction Score
I am not sure where VS./NBC sports is on the CT cable packages, but it is up in the 600s on Directv. It would be a huge improvement if this channel was moved in the lineup to be with all the ESPNs. When people have 3 game to select from on ESPN/2/U plus the CBS/NBC/ABC it is tough to come across the games on the other channels unless you are looking for the game.
Try one of these:
Remote-Control.jpg

I understand they can be "programmed" with your favorite channels including all those up in the 600's.
I they were invented reall recently.

Reaction Score
Try one of these:
Remote-Control.jpg

I understand they can be "programmed" with your favorite channels including all those up in the 600's.
I they were invented reall recently.

You missed the point, " unless you are looking for the game.". The average fan tuning into see what is on for CFB is going to look at the main channels. NBC sports would get more eyeballs in line with the ESPNs.

I believe WVU vs. Marshal is on FX. How many casual fans are going to check FX to see what game they have on, let alone know they show CFB?

Reaction Score
You missed the point, " unless you are looking for the game.". The average fan tuning into see what is on for CFB is going to look at the main channels. NBC sports would get more eyeballs in line with the ESPNs.

I believe WVU vs. Marshal is on FX. How many casual fans are going to check FX to see what game they have on, let alone know they show CFB?
You are asking the wrong guy. I dumped Comcast a long time ago because they did not have Game Plan. I record about 3 games per week including some of the obscure 600 channels and cacth some of about 4 to 5 more. I will say ESPN3 makes watching a lot of games a lot easier.

Reaction Score
I hope the NBC Sports Network succeeds as an NHL fan & a fan of competition.

Unfortunately the reality of the network right now is that few, except diehards, A: know it exists and B: know if they get it. It's essentially the eqivalent of ESPNU.

It's a tough spot for a conference that is struggling with a perception problem because I can see if the NNBE leaves ESPN it'll simply ignore the product (as it has done with the NHL and did with much of the Olympics) but if you stay w ESPN you'll be marginalized to ESPNU/3.

Just look at the schedule for week 1 on Saturday:
12:00
ABC: N/A
ESPN: B10
ESPN2: B10 vs BE (to be ACC)
3:30
ABC: ACC vs ACC
ESPN: SEC
ESPN2: B10
7:00
ESPN: ACC vs SEC

8:00:
ABC: B10 vs SEC

That being said, I hope the NBC Sports Network succeeds. IMO it provides an excellent product and alternative.

I love the objectivity of your posts. You don't want to give the conference credit for Syracuse being on TV because it's leaving, but at the same time you don't mention Boise State's national TV showdown because it hasn't joined yet.

A shill is a shill is a ....

Reaction Score
Please show me when on Saturday ABC or ESPN or ESPN2 is showing Boise St.

Thanks

Oh -- I apologize. I thought you were manipulating our data by how you counted departing and arriving Big East teams. I didn't realize you were manipulating it instead by focusing on non-exclusive broadcast windows on Saturday and ignoring an exclusive broadcast windown on Friday night.

I will try to be much more careful in picking up on your manipulation of facts in future posts. Entirely my fault.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
guys guys, take this to the new acc thread. we have a page count going down over there.

pj

Reaction Score
guys guys, take this to the new acc thread. we have a page count going down over there.

HuskyfanDan will be posting on that thread in 2022, after the ACC has disbanded to escape ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom