New Massey ratings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Massey ratings

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It seems more accurate than the selection committee awarding NC State a #1 seed (4th) & Texas A&M (5th) ahead of Baylor & Maryland. Massey has Texas A&M ranked12th & NC State ranked 8th.
NC State had wins over SC and twice over Louisville. Only one loss with Cunane in the lineup.

A&M had 2 losses on the year and a slew of quality wins including a win over SC. SEC looked more formidable in the regular season than they've shown in the tournament, and for the most part did well playing OOC which is why they got so many high bids.

Baylor hasn't beat anyone of note so they understandably didn't get the nod. Same with Maryland, although their wins look stronger in hindsight since Iowa is surging and Michigan has played well too. Eye test right now says they're arguably the two hottest teams in the county but their body of work and lack of big wins made it difficult to bump them to the 1 line.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The injury to Nka Muhl- if she is not healthy-- hurts UCONN a lot. There's a reason why she started. She's one helluva solid player. Without Nika- IF without Nika or a healthy Nika- have to hope big for Anna.
Hoping that Nika is back and healthy this weekend. But unlike prior UConn teams when an injury to a key player would have really strained the Huskies ability to compensate for that loss, this team has genuine depth at its disposal.

Aaliyah stepped in for Nika against Syracuse and she was fantastic. UConn also got solid minutes off the bench from both Anna & Aubrey. They could even throw Mir out there in a pinch if they had to. Geno hasn’t had this kind of roster depth in many years.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
true about the depth. but Nika brings some really unique qualities. ... i think she's esp. important to the team's chemistry/morale ... will be a big boost if she's herself

Reaction Score
Hoping that Nika is back and healthy this weekend. But unlike prior UConn teams when an injury to a key player would have really strained the Huskies ability to compensate for that loss, this team has genuine depth at its disposal.

Aaliyah stepped in for Nika against Syracuse and she was fantastic. UConn also got solid minutes off the bench from both Anna & Aubrey. They could even throw Mir out there in a pinch if they had to. Geno hasn’t had this kind of roster depth in many years.

Nika offers something different than Edwards and Griffin. UCONN doesn't move the ball as well without Nika. Further, Edwards foul trouble is an issue. It does exist. And now with more minutes- at some point with fouls it may resort into playing more careful in a big game than she otherwise would. And as for Anna - she has missed the whole year. There's very little rhythm with her now. IMO so far she hasn't shown to be the player she was at end of last year - yet (ofc it could be she ends up being fine.). . And Aubrey is a fine as an 8th player- and not to worry if Anna and Edwards are very good. But Aubrey still is too short for bigger/tougher posts, and doesn't have a perimeter game. So if Anna is off in terms of playing well -- and if she isn't shooting well--- then UCONN loses a shooter -- something UCONN has desperately needed this year.

If Nika is not healthy-- they lost a better player than Griff and possibly even Anna. UCONN didn't have much margin for error anyway. Losing a better player if Anna can't step up - doesn't make them better.

IMO a team is always stronger when they have different ways to win. On the surface, Nika's combination of passing, shooting, and perimeter defense from her position can't be replicated. Anna is the closest one to how Nika plays. If she is close then that is fine. Which I'm 100% with you about the bench- if she is But if she isn't- and Nika is hurting - no matter how good Edwards is - she does have a ceiling - she can't do what Nika does. Geno didn't "accidentally" start Nika. While Edwards overall I think is a better player- her and Liv had better be extremely productive vs the top tier teams. Nika gave UCONN another alternative. And unless your team is very dominant in one aspect of the game-- alternatives are always better.

There's a reason why I was so giddy about the three freshmen. Now that one night be gone or seriously limited - I can't minimize that -- ofc unless Anna is very good. So I hope you're right. But I'll just add the teams UCONN will face in next round and hopefully each round thereafter are better than Syracuse.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nika offers something different than Edwards and Griffin. UCONN doesn't move the ball as well without Nika. Further, Edwards foul trouble is an issue. It does exist. And now with more minutes- at some point with fouls it may resort into playing more careful in a big game than she otherwise would. And as for Anna - she has missed the whole year. There's very little rhythm with her now. IMO so far she hasn't shown to be the player she was at end of last year - yet (ofc it could be she ends up being fine.). . And Aubrey is a fine as an 8th player- and not to worry if Anna and Edwards are very good. But Aubrey still is too short for bigger/tougher posts, and doesn't have a perimeter game. So if Anna is off in terms of playing well -- and if she isn't shooting well--- then UCONN loses a shooter -- something UCONN has desperately needed this year.

If Nika is not healthy-- they lost a better player than Griff and possibly even Anna. UCONN didn't have much margin for error anyway. Losing a better player if Anna can't step up - doesn't make them better.

IMO a team is always stronger when they have different ways to win. On the surface, Nika's combination of passing, shooting, and perimeter defense from her position can't be replicated. Anna is the closest one to how Nika plays. If she is close then that is fine. Which I'm 100% with you about the bench- if she is But if she isn't- and Nika is hurting - no matter how good Edwards is - she does have a ceiling - she can't do what Nika does. Geno didn't "accidentally" start Nika. While Edwards overall I think is a better player- her and Liv had better be extremely productive vs the top tier teams. Nika gave UCONN another alternative. And unless your team is very dominant in one aspect of the game-- alternatives are always better.

There's a reason why I was so giddy about the three freshmen. Now that one night be gone or seriously limited - I can't minimize that -- ofc unless Anna is very good. So I hope you're right. But I'll just add the teams UCONN will face in next round and hopefully each round thereafter are better than Syracuse.
I'm not suggesting that Nika is not important. What I am suggesting is that UConn has options that will be difficult for Iowa to counter. We just saw what Liv and Aaliyah were able to do vs the big Syracuse front line. Iowa's smaller front line can not be looking forward to dealing with UConn's 2 bigs, if that's what it comes down to.

Reaction Score
I'm not suggesting that Nika is not important. What I am suggesting is that UConn has options that will be difficult for Iowa to counter. We just saw what Liv and Aaliyah were able to do vs the big Syracuse front line. Iowa's smaller front line can not be looking forward to dealing with UConn's 2 bigs, if that's what it comes down to.
Okay I wasn't talking specifically about Iowa. My initial post was more about winning it all. I was talking in general they'll miss a healthy Nika. I know very little of Iowa anyway other than their superstar.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

?, A quick tempo and using more of our bench will put Iowa on their heels and wear them down. I know we will not play at the pace Maryland did against Iowa, think back to that game Iowa was so winded they could hardly stand in the 4th quarter. Quick offence, tight team defense make it nearly impossible for Iowa to win the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom