OT: - New lap pool for backyard | The Boneyard

OT: New lap pool for backyard

Reaction Score
Hi, anyone install a lap pool at their home? We're in southern NH, wife wants one in our backyard, which has the room and good southwest exposure, although land slopes downward a bit. Thinking of something 12' or 15' wide and maybe 50' long, not deep maybe 4-5' deep. Doubt they have commercial pools of this size already constructed (if they did, great!), so I assume it'll have to be custom built. With shorter season up north in southern New Hampshire, would like to extend season with some kind of heating option, maybe just solar cover would help and be cheapest. I have no idea what this might cost, any backed by experience estimates? Any ways to reduce cost if, let's say, $50k or more? She said she doesn't want a current pool where you swim against the current. Also, she wants salt water filtration (not chlorine).

Reaction Score
Hi, anyone install a lap pool at their home? We're in southern NH, wife wants one in our backyard, which has the room and good southwest exposure, although land slopes downward a bit. Thinking of something 12' or 15' wide and maybe 50' long, not deep maybe 4-5' deep. Doubt they have commercial pools of this size already constructed (if they did, great!), so I assume it'll have to be custom built. With shorter season up north in southern New Hampshire, would like to extend season with some kind of heating option, maybe just solar cover would help and be cheapest. I have no idea what this might cost, any backed by experience estimates? Any ways to reduce cost if, let's say, $50k or more? She said she doesn't want a current pool where you swim against the current. Also, she wants salt water filtration (not chlorine).
First you need to check for state/local codes... then you can start thinking about what you can do within those restrictions.

We have a 16x32 in-ground (came with the house, northwestern CT), heated with propane (by necessity). It has a deep end and diving board, but I ~think~ regs require steps to a 3' deep section. So you would need to consider that. Lots of safety requirements to follow.
Regardless of whether you heat it, you'll still have a 3-4 month season, at most. If you're really serious, maybe consider enclosing it for a few more months.

Reaction Score
There is a thread about this, with one commenter offering to provide advice from his personal experience, on the US Masters Swimming forums. If you are a member, you can look there. Seems like most of the discussion was around southern locations, but aside from the length (and therefore the cost) of heating season, the build should be similar. If you are not a member there, I may be able to relay some info when I’m at a computer and not responding on my phone.

Reaction Score
If u r going with a heated pool I would recommend the small incremental cost and have them add the attached hot tub so u can use that year round. Folks who put pool in prior to us cheaped out

Reaction Score
There is a thread about this, with one commenter offering to provide advice from his personal experience, on the US Masters Swimming forums. If you are a member, you can look there. Seems like most of the discussion was around southern locations, but aside from the length (and therefore the cost) of heating season, the build should be similar. If you are not a member there, I may be able to relay some info when I’m at a computer and not responding on my phone.
Thanks, I'll check it out

Reaction Score
Back in my tri days, our swim coach trained people in one of these, or similar. I heard from some friends that they thought it was really cool.

Endless Pools

Reaction Score
Just go all out and do gunite

Don't know where in S. NH he is, but if he's inland, the temps get cold like they do up here in WNY. A consistent 25 degrees will shift ground up here, so we were told to avoid gunite for this reason. I am not an expert--just what we were told.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

A few thoughts for you:

I would say that 12-5ft wide is not what I would consider a lap pool. 6-8' wide would be more lap-like. Considering your location, and that your objective is lap swimming, I would suggest minimizing water volume to the degree possible by limiting width and depth. This will cut heating costs substantially, and pools are not cheap to heat. Also, a good solar cover, can really make a difference, but it must be used every night. A reel is a must for the solar cover.

You mentioned southern exposure -- if the pool is not located in an open area without shade from trees, I wouldn't consider it.

I have a 16x32 inground here in CT. One thing I'm always surprised at is people saying how much work a pool is, but I disagree. A couple hours in the late spring to open, and a couple more in September to close it. I have a Dolphin robotic cleaner, so weekly maintenance is mostly adding and checking chemicals, and cleaning the cleaner.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have seen 7' x 18' (approx) pools with a kind of propulsion that allows for swimming without going anywhere. Cool concept.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts for you:

I would say that 12-5ft wide is not what I would consider a lap pool. 6-8' wide would be more lap-like. Considering your location, and that your objective is lap swimming, I would suggest minimizing water volume to the degree possible by limiting width and depth. This will cut heating costs substantially, and pools are not cheap to heat. Also, a good solar cover, can really make a difference, but it must be used every night. A reel is a must for the solar cover.

You mentioned southern exposure -- if the pool is not located in an open area without shade from trees, I wouldn't consider it.

I have a 16x32 inground here in CT. One thing I'm always surprised at is people saying how much work a pool is, but I disagree. A couple hours in the late spring to open, and a couple more in September to close it. I have a Dolphin robotic cleaner, so weekly maintenance is mostly adding and checking chemicals, and cleaning the cleaner.
After 20 years we were finally in a position to get a robotic cleaner... if I only knew how much of a time saver it was, I would have sold a child.

Reaction Score
It is a big time saver. Sure, it's gross cleaning the first bag of the season -- filled with worms and other dead things -- but it's worth the price.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My friend in FLA has one - its is really neat - but it is only about 8-9 feet wide and about 30-36 feet long
The current thing holds your body up- its a great but tiresome workout
Would love to have one but I think the cost to have one useable year round in CT would be unreal- probably cheaper to join a gym/spa that has one of them
Was in a house in Chatham up in the Cape that had one enclosed but the owners are worth about $30 million.
Good luck - and if it comes to fruition - ENJOY

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
$75K for something you can use for 3 months! Not a good idea, join a pool

Reaction Score
Lap pool typically means a workout pool with lots of back and forth swimming. If you can afford it and are training for something specific then it sounds great. Don’t fool yourself about combining lap pools and swimming pools though - which you haven’t indicated yet but is often mistaken. As a finisher of many, many long Triathlons You want a lap pool to be about 65 to 70 degrees so can get a long workout in without overheating. A swimming pool is nice at 85 to 90, depending on wife, family, etc. that’s nice to hang out in and float around. Never do the two meet on common ground. You can’t hang out in 65 and you’ll swim 10 laps in 90 degrees before overheating. Sounds like you know what you’re talking about already but just in case..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lap pool typically means a workout pool with lots of back and forth swimming. If you can afford it and are training for something specific then it sounds great. Don’t fool yourself about combining lap pools and swimming pools though - which you haven’t indicated yet but is often mistaken. As a finisher of many, many long Triathlons You want a lap pool to be about 65 to 70 degrees so can get a long workout in without overheating. A swimming pool is nice at 85 to 90, depending on wife, family, etc. that’s nice to hang out in and float around. Never do the two meet on common ground. You can’t hang out in 65 and you’ll swim 10 laps in 90 degrees before overheating. Sounds like you know what you’re talking about already but just in case..
First swim in Saint Lucia and I was sweating while swimming to the raft about 100’ offshore. Weird feeling.

Reaction Score
Rethinking what we want in backyard. There is significant landscaping to be done no matter what as our land slopes away from house, so making terraces with retaining walls is part of the cost. My wife wants to swim laps, I prefer a hot tub, and she's talking now about a swim against the current pool, which should be cheaper than larger pool (smaller size, less energy to heat). Heating would be to extend the season more than to try to get temp to 80 degrees. I think it would be nice to have a sauna in the house too, that definitely would take away the winter chill. Anyone have a sauna and do you you it a lot or not so much?

Reaction Score
There is much good advice on here but let me throw in my two cents.

I had an built in pool 18 X 36 installed back in 2004. I elected to go with a propane heater. I came to find out the amount of propane needed to raise the pool temperature a few degrees would have broke my bank. I opted to go with a solar cover instead.

If you have natural gas, by all means use that otherwise think twice about using propane.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I do an hour of laps a day 4-5 days a week in our club pool (Florida). I am 70 retired triathlete and my arthritis won't allow me to get into 65 degrees anymore, unless of course I put on a wetsuit and the last time I did that it took me and my wife a half an hour of tugging to get me out of it! Even when the temps get down into the low 60s high 50s I will still swim

Reaction Score
There is much good advice on here but let me throw in my two cents.

I had an built in pool 18 X 36 installed back in 2004. I elected to go with a propane heater. I came to find out the amount of propane needed to raise the pool temperature a few degrees would have broke my bank. I opted to go with a solar cover instead.

If you have natural gas, by all means use that otherwise think twice about using propane.
We get a break on propane for pool heater vs. propane for heating the house. When we had big family picnics Memorial and Labor Day, it was always a 5 tank refill year (~$1500). Had to use a full tank just to heat up from winter temps in mid May, and part of another for that weekend. End of the year was always dicey too. We have a solar cover, but also have lots of shade by 2pm, so the cover is barely keeping pace, and not adding more heat.
We caught a little break with the pandemic cancelling the big picnics. We would have small family groups (mostly for the young kids) a few times a month. Only 1 family at a time, and we stayed to the side as much as possible. I think we only used 3 tanks this year.
I keep doing it for the family. They’re worth it.

Reaction Score
I do an hour of laps a day 4-5 days a week in our club pool (Florida). I am 70 retired triathlete and my arthritis won't allow me to get into 65 degrees anymore, unless of course I put on a wetsuit and the last time I did that it took me and my wife a half an hour of tugging to get me out of it! Even when the temps get down into the low 60s high 50s I will still swim
It only hurts when you get out.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Anyone else keep seeing this thread title and think the boneyard is getting a lap pool?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Surprised that nobody yet has said that 50 feet is too short for lap swimming. 75 is a common length.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom