OT: - New Kentucky Assistants | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: New Kentucky Assistants

Reaction Score
Probably doesn't like Cal recruiting over him with Rocket
Seems like a lot of Kentucky fans think this means they will be getting Tyty Washington. Could be.

One of their assistants also just left to go to Bobby’s staff at ASU, so maybe he follows him there.

Edit: Also just remembered that Kentucky had also been in the mix for Marcus Carr. Sounds like they are probably going to pick up someone else relatively soon, just not sure who that will be. They’ve been linked to quite a few guards recently.

Reaction Score
Calipari must be feeling some heat and why not when you look at his rosters and how relatively poorly his teams have fared in the tournament.

Geniuses like him usually don't overturn their coaching rosters and hunt for mid-major shooters to improve their teams. Maybe the Coastal Carolina point guard will get on his roster after all..............

Reaction Score
Interesting as well as Mack at Louisville basically fired most of his assistants as well including Murray and Gaudio. Bluegrass state shakeup.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Wow. OA took less money to go to Kentucky. (Yes I know that 850K is still a ridiculous amount of $$)
is it possible being a part of Illinois isn’t the blue blood job their board is certain it is?
I mean they did have a good year. They almost made it to a Sweet 16. I’m sure there won’t be a dry eye at the banner raising ceremony at midnight madness next year.

Reaction Score
We need a multibillionaire alumni who loves UConn basketball if we want to keep up with these power conference football $ schools. How many years is it gonna be until we start getting priced out by lesser schools just because they can offer double what we can. Maybe the NCAA needs to apply a salary cap to coaching staffs lol

Reaction Score
We need a multibillionaire alumni who loves UConn basketball if we want to keep up with these power conference football $ schools. How many years is it gonna be until we start getting priced out by lesser schools just because they can offer double what we can. Maybe the NCAA needs to apply a salary cap to coaching staffs lol
What are you talking about? Our coaching staff is currently stacked with talent and we pay very competitively compared to top programs. OA is an exception. The fact that we don’t have an assistant making $850k does not mean we’re pinching pennies on assistants.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Our coaching staff is currently stacked with talent and we pay very competitively compared to top programs. OA is an exception. The fact that we don’t have an assistant making $850k does not mean we’re pinching pennies on assistants.

Yeah, I'm not sure there's a better group of assistants in the country. Kimani and Luke are paid handsomely and some of the best recruiters out there. I really want to see what Luke can do to benefit our team offense.

And Tom is going to be recruiting NEPSAC schools from a wheelchair by the time he's done.

Reaction Score
If Illinois was prepared to throw out $1m for Antigua then they have the money to poach from our staff. I'm not saying our staff is underpaid. We are definitely extremely competitive with our salaries right now, but schools with P5 money have the funds available to spend that kind of money on assistants. My point was, how long is it going to be until we can no longer compete with a school like Illinois if we are both trying to fill out a spot in our staff and they are offering 600k+ and we can only offer 300k. Prestige starts to matter less and less when the salary gaps are nearly double.

Reaction Score
If Illinois was prepared to throw out $1m for Antigua then they have the money to poach from our staff. I'm not saying our staff is underpaid. We are definitely extremely competitive with our salaries right now, but schools with P5 money have the funds available to spend that kind of money on assistants. My point was, how long is it going to be until we can no longer compete with a school like Illinois if we are both trying to fill out a spot in our staff and they are offering 600k+ and we can only offer 300k. Prestige starts to matter less and less when the salary gaps are nearly double.
Well Illinois, the school you're claiming is swimming in money that we can't compete with, just tried to poach Kimani and we matched. We already offer extremely competitive salaries despite never being in a P5 conference. There's no reason to think those schools are going to increase their salaries faster than UConn will, especially now that we're in the Big East

Reaction Score
Well Illinois, the school you're claiming is swimming in money that we can't compete with, just tried to poach Kimani and we matched. We already offer extremely competitive salaries despite never being in a P5 conference. There's no reason to think those schools are going to increase their salaries faster than UConn will, especially now that we're in the Big East
Right now we are fine, but in 10 years those p5 schools will have made $300M+ from tv revenue deals and we will have made ~70M. The gap between us and them is never going to get smaller. There's going to be a point where the gap just gets too big for us to even match what others can pay, my question is how long is it going to be until that happens.

Reaction Score
Right now we are fine, but in 10 years those p5 schools will have made $300M+ from tv revenue deals and we will have made ~70M. The gap between us and them is never going to get smaller. There's going to be a point where the gap just gets too big for us to even match what others can pay, my question is how long is it going to be until that happens.
And what I'm saying is the answer is never. I don't think there is ever a time where the Big East, but even more specifically UConn, is able to compete with the P5 schools in basketball

Reaction Score
The premise of your post seems to be that the future revenue differential will cause us to be unable to pay assistants competitive salaries, but there’s already a revenue differential (and has been for years) and as was mentioned, we just matched an Illinois offer for an assistant. I’m really struggling with the logic behind your argument.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom