OT: - New Hot Tub Installation | The Boneyard

OT: New Hot Tub Installation

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Haven’t posted in a few years, but the kitchen renovation thread has inspired me.

So I surprised my wife by giving her a hot tub for her birthday. The plan is to put in in our backyard near the base of the stairs that lead down from our deck (we have a walkout basement so full flight of stairs down). Want to have the project done before the end of October.

We have two kids, so needs to be big enough for at least 4 people. I have 15k set aside for the project, but have little interest or time to do much of the work itself.

Was hoping for some tips or ideas from anyone on the Yard who has a hot tub at their house. Recommendations on brands and installation, layout, lessons learned, etc....

Most importantly, we abut woods in our backyard, so we are frequented by deer, but as of late they are all getting all fine thankfully.

I’ll try to throw up a pix later of the spot we have picked out for it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No help from the BY on this? Would it help if JonnyRI spoke in the 3rd person?
Impatience is a BY virtue. Why don't you put the pix up and if any of the deer are bucks see if you can get a shot of him for the bow hunters.

Reaction Score
I was planning on a hot tub, idea germinated from fun vacation nights hanging around in resort tubs and actually planned to get one for my oldest's high school years that start in September. Then a private school plan bubbled up & hot tub plans cooled.
How did you 'give' your wife a hot tub for her birthday with nothing more than a spot picked out?

Reaction Score
I’ll throw in my two cents. We have a hot tub in Vermont. It is a necessary evil for a ski house.

Over the years I’ve decided that:

1. I shouldn’t pay anything beyond 5k or so for a hot tub. I can generally get it from Costco/Sam’s etc., often for $1000-$1500 off their everyday price if I look for a sale. Spending more doesn’t make sense. The tubs have lasted, are comfortable and have required minimal repairs.

2. I was told and also reasoned, that if I bought a higher end tub from a dealer, getting parts and service would be easier. The reality has been that every time I’ve needed parts/service, the local repairman has handled it no problem. This goes for filters and even control boards. Even though the tub is a no name brand, the parts are out there. Replacement covers are custom made in general. You can get one on Amazon for $300-$500, you just give them the dimensions and they send it to you. Your local dealer will charge $200 more.

3. Don’t over invest in making it pretty. If your wife uses the tub a lot, you can spruce up the area around it later. There is a very good chance it will get very little use after the novelty wears off. Make sure you are true, regular users before doing a deck or whatever. It just isn’t wise to go all out to start.

4. Don’t skimp on the electrical and water supply. Use a very reputable electrician and use an abundance of caution in setting the electric up properly so nobody gets shocked or electrocuted in the tub. If you don’t have a hose bib right where the tub will set, you might want one. Hoses, walking around to get water for the tub and so on are all a hassle, especially in winter.

I think you should invest 6-7k tops to start between the tub and set up. If it is still a big hit with her come next summer, dress it up.

Reaction Score
I would also add that a good opener is key...otherwise people are throwing the cover around and it will get ruined faster

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
I was planning on a hot tub, idea germinated from fun vacation nights hanging around in resort tubs and actually planned to get one for my oldest's high school years that start in September. Then a private school plan bubbled up & hot tub plans cooled.
How did you 'give' your wife a hot tub for her birthday with nothing more than a spot picked out?
She was so estatic that she hasn’t minded that I am letting her do a lot of the work in terms of actually getting it in place. We will see if that lasts.

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
I would also add that a good opener is key...otherwise people are throwing the cover around and it will get ruined faster
That’s a good point. Need to find something my kids won’t be able to destroy.

Reaction Score
I live in FL. & just bought a Thermo spa after doing some research. They are made in Wallingford CT. You can see a video online. Will be here in about 6 weeks.
Have a very good warranty & good reviews. Bought the Atlantis model.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Haven’t posted in a few years, but the kitchen renovation thread has inspired me.

So I surprised my wife by giving her a hot tub for her birthday. The plan is to put in in our backyard near the base of the stairs that lead down from our deck (we have a walkout basement so full flight of stairs down). Want to have the project done before the end of October.

We have two kids, so needs to be big enough for at least 4 people. I have 15k set aside for the project, but have little interest or time to do much of the work itself.

Was hoping for some tips or ideas from anyone on the Yard who has a hot tub at their house. Recommendations on brands and installation, layout, lessons learned, etc....

Most importantly, we abut woods in our backyard, so we are frequented by deer, but as of late they are all getting all fine thankfully.

One piece of advice I would like to pass on is to make sure you don't place it in an area near an A/C unit where the chlorinated air can get sucked into the condenser, this will cause premature failure of you A/C by corroding it and causing tiny holes that will cause it to leak and become landfill.
What are you planning on using for a base? concrete pad, pavers, wood framed platform, straight on gravel bed.
Is a service disconnect going to be needed or does it plug directly onto a standard outlet? which should be on an isolated 20 amp circuit anyway just so the heater doesn't trip the breaker.
Just a few things you will need to consider.

Last edited:

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
One piece of advice I would like to pass on is to make sure you don't place it in an area near an A/C unit where the chlorinated air can get sucked into the condenser, this will cause premature failure of you A/C by corroding it and causing tiny holes that will cause it to leak and become landfill.
What are you planning on using for a base? concrete pad, pavers, wood framed platform, straight on gravel bed.
Is a service disconnect going to be needed or does it plug directly onto a standard outlet? which should be on an isolated 20 amp circuit anyway just so the heater doesn't trip the breaker.
What’s close? My AC unit is around the corner maybe 15 feet away. Would that be a concern?

I was planning on a concrete pad, seems like the smartest long term thing to do.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
What’s close? My AC unit is around the corner maybe 15 feet away. Would that be a concern?

I was planning on a concrete pad, seems like the smartest long term thing to do.
A friend of mine installed a ductless system at the opposite end of his deck relative to his hot tub about 20' apart, the water that would drip below the deck from normal use and the chlorine vapor must have been drawn in to the condenser rotting out the thing in 3 years. Around the corner and it being set on a pad should be more than fine to keep the vapor from getting there, in the case I noted the air was being drawn from under the deck which was the cause of his problem.
I agree with placing on a pad for longevity but a 6" pad of pea gravel would still provided a solid base with great drainage at a great price point and can be removed easily if down the road you decide to do away with the tub.
search, how to set hot tub on a bed of pea gravel. for more info on advantages

Reaction Score
Another piece of advice is to READ THE FINE PRINT! I didnt do this and it turned out the hot tub I bought was actually a time machine and my wife got stuck in 1955 for two weeks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I don't think your hot tub will be attacking your AC unit. You're fine.

These suckers are heavy and they need to be level. You can get away with compacted pea gravel, but a good concrete pad with wire and rebar is the better call. The next guy who buys the house can worry about removing it if he wants to.

Only other thing....if you have overhead wires bringing the power to the house, make sure they're no where near where you're setting up. No contractor will sign on to installing a hot tub, pool or even a bird bath where overhead wires can land in 'em.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I don't think your hot tub will be attacking your AC unit. You're fine.

These suckers are heavy and they need to be level. You can get away with compacted pea gravel, but a good concrete pad with wire and rebar is the better call. The next guy who buys the house can worry about removing it if he wants to.

Only other thing....if you have overhead wires bringing the power to the house, make sure they're no where near where you're setting up. No contractor will sign on to installing a hot tub, pool or even a bird bath where overhead wires can land in 'em.
I mentioned this because it happens more often than you would think when air flow is not considered for A/C and the gravel bed for economy. Most people who install hot tubs are always into the novelty but over time lose interest in maintaining and servicing these things, next thing they know they have glorified yard decor. If they do care for and repair as needed they can expect 10yrs or so before it is beyond repair and needs replacing. From what I've seen most hot tubs sit idle over time and owners end up asking others if they want it, they can take it, no one does so I have to put a sawzall to it. I am asked this a few times a year. I am not an HVAC guy but a remodeling contractor who has dealt with this & many relatives who are Mechanical contractors who I have had discussions with. I'm not claiming to be an authority on this, just not ignorant. I don't want to discourage just my 2 cents.

Reaction Score

Do you have a pool now? Do you have any idea how much $ and work are needed?

An inground pool came with the house. Found it was unusable without a heater (too much shade). The shade also drops leaves and acorns into the pool DAILY. I thought the kids would be thrilled to have it, and would be willing to help, but it’s been 99% me.

If I had a do-over... it would be a big fight with the wife. I’m pretty sure we won’t have one if we move though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom