New Home Game Traditions | The Boneyard

New Home Game Traditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-diaco-0228-20140227,0,3819406.story

"Diaco told a packed house about a couple of traditions he was going to change in order to create more energy on game days including the Husky Walk, which will now see the players enter the building through the student section to fire them up. The team will stay on campus on Friday nights when there's a Saturday home game to help create excitement on campus. He said there will be music between the third and fourth quarters to fire fans up, whether it's from his collection or not.
"We're going to engage the student body and our fans," Diaco said."

Interested to see what else they come up with but I think the team entering through the student section is a great start.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-diaco-0228-20140227,0,3819406.story

"Diaco told a packed house about a couple of traditions he was going to change in order to create more energy on game days including the Husky Walk, which will now see the players enter the building through the student section to fire them up. The team will stay on campus on Friday nights when there's a Saturday home game to help create excitement on campus. He said there will be music between the third and fourth quarters to fire fans up, whether it's from his collection or not.
"We're going to engage the student body and our fans," Diaco said."

Interested to see what else they come up with but I think the team entering through the student section is a great start.

the only tradition I want to see this season is winning.

Reaction Score
Arriving through the student section is a great idea and except for one thing. Two hours before the game there are no students in their seats.
Yea, unlike basketball where you want as close to the court as possible and students camp out for lower level seats, for football there is no reason to show up early and miss tailgating. Maybe they are talking about running past the student section when coming out of the tunnel.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing WestHartHusk. Spread open the student section and have the players come down the rows to enter the field. Might be dangerous though with cleats on concrete. I'd hate to see someone lose their footing, fall and get injured running onto the field. Maybe HCBD is going to try to spark/initiate some needed Rent renovations??

Either way, I like what direction this is taking. Diaco clearly wants more involvement from the students. That is the #1 priority BY FAR for Rentschler Field game day experience. The students have good attendance records for September games and dwindle more and more as the weather drops. Keeping them in their seats through the WHOLE game is absolutely necessary if UCONN ever hopes to create a loud, exciting and intimidating home field environment. When you see 2 rows of students in the 4th quarter of a tie game, it's got to be disheartening to the team.

Reaction Score
I was thinking it would be through the student section coming out for the kick-off (ala Clemson).

While it certainly may be possible, having 100 players in full uniform navigate those stairs, while high fiving the students is just asking for trouble.

Of course I could be missing the point on what is actually being suggested.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Maybe Diaco can bring in a DJ? Or a guy trying to force 1/4 the stadium to do a BLUE... WHITE chant? WHOSE HOUSE? DOG'S HOUSE!

Reaction Score
Maybe Diaco can bring in a DJ? Or a guy trying to force 1/4 the stadium to do a BLUE... WHITE chant? WHOSE HOUSE? DOG'S HOUSE!

He's obviously talking about sports bloopers on the big screen.

Reaction Score
Its hard to create meaningful traditions if you don't back them up with wins. But its a good start. I know Connecticut will bounce back and win every game expect for the one against my Alma Mater! The Brook is gonna put a beating on Connecticut fans (LOOOOL...)

I'm can't wait for Football already!!!!!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My home game brainstorm wish list:

1. Student section engagement - stop running busses back to campus during the game. Give the students a free sub if the opponent has more than 5 false starts. Have student pep rallies at the Burton on Friday nights with the team. Have students line up and see the busses off when the team leaves. Have students help pack up the busses. Student sections are the lifeblood of any college sports venue. Time that ours stepped up to the plate;
2. Music/dog bark or howl/whatever - alert tailgating fans that there is only 30 minutes until kickoff so get your car packed up and get your butt in the stadium. Pre-game beers are $1;
3. Get a damn Husky dog to run out on the field with the team and set up a little dog pound area in the corner where there is TONS of room;
4. Get more blue into the stadium - paint the bleachers blue;
5. Red zone - when the team gets into the red zone, switch all of the electronic signs to red. Blare some dog howl or growl over the PA. Ring the bell ONCE. Show a fired up Husky on the scoreboard seeing red;
6. Dairy Bar vendors - I like ice cream even on cold days
7. Dress up the hallway corridors a bit - blow up some game photos from great UCONN games: Kashif's one handed grab against USCe, Teggart's kick against USF, Lutrus pick-6 against USF, DJ throwing the ball into the parking lot against Pitt, Todman getting a 1st down on 4th-1 against Pitt, etc. And put some photos of UCONN alum in the NFL and some acknowledgments of Big East championships and bowl games. Visitors sections need to be reminded that UCONN was competitive before Pasqualoni and they might not see the banners on the press box over their right shoulders and behind them.
8. Let season ticket holders leave those portable chair back seats at their seats throughout the season. Always like the look of that in empty college stadiums on non-gamedays and it's less hassle for season ticket holders.
9. This should be higher but I'm too lazy to reorganize the listing: open the damn gates MUCH earlier. RV lots open 24 hours before kickoff. Regular lots open 6 hours before kickoff for Noon games, 8 hours for late afternoon-night games. Don't kick people out 15 minutes after a game ends. Keep lots open for an extra 2 hours after the game to allow for sobering up time and traffic to flow naturally.
10. Less gimmick giveaways during TV timeouts and more UCMB, UCONN mini press conferences (introduce past teams, other sports, dean's list kids, etc), and Emily interviews/monologues. Gimmicks are minor leagues. You want a t-shirt? Merchandise stands are located throughout the hallways. Or give away blue t-shirts to everyone entering the stadium so we're all in the same color and won't fight a 4 year old kid for a cheap freebie shot into the stands by a cheerleader slingshot.

Reaction Score

1. Student section engagement - stop running busses back to campus during the game. Give the students a free sub if the opponent has more than 5 false starts. Have student pep rallies at the Burton on Friday nights with the team. Have students line up and see the busses off when the team leaves. Have students help pack up the busses. Student sections are the lifeblood of any college sports venue. Time that ours stepped up to the plate;
2. Music/dog bark or howl/whatever - alert tailgating fans that there is only 30 minutes until kickoff so get your car packed up and get your butt in the stadium. Pre-game beers are $1;
3. Get a damn Husky dog to run out on the field with the team and set up a little dog pound area in the corner where there is TONS of room;
5. Red zone - when the team gets into the red zone, switch all of the electronic signs to red. Blare some dog howl or growl over the PA. Ring the bell ONCE. Show a fired up Husky on the scoreboard seeing red;
7. Dress up the hallway corridors a bit - blow up some game photos from great UCONN games: Kashif's one handed grab against USCe, Teggart's kick against USF, Lutrus pick-6 against USF, DJ throwing the ball into the parking lot against Pitt, Todman getting a 1st down on 4th-1 against Pitt, etc. And put some photos of UCONN alum in the NFL and some acknowledgments of Big East championships and bowl games. Visitors sections need to be reminded that UCONN was competitive before Pasqualoni and they might not see the banners on the press box over their right shoulders and behind them.
8. Let season ticket holders leave those portable chair back seats at their seats throughout the season. Always like the look of that in empty college stadiums on non-gamedays and it's less hassle for season ticket holders.
9. This should be higher but I'm too lazy to reorganize the listing: open the damn gates MUCH earlier. RV lots open 24 hours before kickoff. Regular lots open 6 hours before kickoff for Noon games, 8 hours for late afternoon-night games. Don't kick people out 15 minutes after a game ends. Keep lots open for an extra 2 hours after the game to allow for sobering up time and traffic to flow naturally.
10. Less gimmick giveaways during TV timeouts and more UCMB, UCONN mini press conferences (introduce past teams, other sports, dean's list kids, etc), and Emily interviews/monologues. Gimmicks are minor leagues. You want a t-shirt? Merchandise stands are located throughout the hallways. Or give away blue t-shirts to everyone entering the stadium so we're all in the same color and won't fight a 4 year old kid for a cheap freebie shot into the stands by a cheerleader slingshot.

Huge would be not letting kids on the busses early, opening up for tailgating earlier and whatever can be done around the stadium for game day graphics.

#8 is not practical and can't happen but some version of everything else can and should.

Reaction Score
few thoughts:

- provide tailgate food for students. UCONN dinning services can set up a few grills and charge meal points - kids got to eat.
(Alternatively season ticket holders could run a "adopt a student for a tailgate" program )

- new tradition of singing the national anthem. Noting will get the crowd more pumped then having 40 thousand people sing along the national anthem while UCMB plays it on the field. To encourage the singing i would run the lyrics on our jumbo-tron & ribbon displays. Not too many people show up for kick-off now, but if we make this a part of the game experience, by season's end we will have fannies in the seats.

- On the subject of sing-alongs, after 3rd quarter let's do a Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline sing along ( I know Fenway Park does it). Why? Our OCDP beat cancer listening to Neil Diamond - that's why.

- Lastly I'd like to see Jonathan run out of the tunnel (or student section) before the team. When I spoke with the handlers walking him around the stadium, i was told he was scared of the fire-works. Scrap the fireworks and run the mascot on the field - I know my kids would love it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
TUNES, TUNES, TUNES! During TV timeouts/prior to the game/after the game. There is plenty of time when the UConn band isn't playing that we should have good, upbeat music firing up the crowd. Whack the droning announcements from the droning announcer. On another note, I like Joe D. and everything but I could live with him doing basketball only (which I think he's very good at) and getting a new football announcer. I just don't think that his voice/delivery fits football. He doesn't excite me as a listener and I think that's important. I'd like to hear what others think.

Reaction Score
That Clemson entrance is really cool. But I don't think we could remove the seats and grow the grass in time for opening day. :cool:

Reaction Score
Precede every entrance of the team with a Husky Howling. LOUD...REAL LOUD.. DEAFENING LOUD--Huskies howling, I think is very unique,( other than wolves).
Have Jonathan lead the team onto the field.

SEE the following on husky howling:

Then as a follow-up, have Jonathan walk out for the coin toss ( & growl & pee IN THE DIRECTION oF the opposing captains if necessary). It only has to happen once....ever been bit by
a canine or peed on? (not fun).... word will spread VERY QUICKLY.

FOLLOW UP WITH AN OUT OF CONTROL STUDENT SECTION DOGPOUND.....

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Precede every entrance of the team with a Husky Howling. LOUD...REAL LOUD.. DEAFENING LOUD--Huskies howling, I think is very unique,( other than wolves).
Have Jonathan lead the team onto the field.

SEE the following on husky howling:

Then as a follow-up, have Jonathan walk out for the coin toss ( & growl & pee IN THE DIRECTION oF the opposing captains if necessary). It only has to happen once....ever been bit by
a canine or peed on? (not fun).... word will spread VERY QUICKLY.

FOLLOW UP WITH AN OUT OF CONTROL STUDENT SECTION DOGPOUND.....

Love where you're head's at, Colt. This has been talked about for years. I think DannyBoy1 on TOS suggested this back in the Randy era.
I love the idea but think this is a better representation of the Husky Howl we need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeL0kFS44AM

Reaction Score
Tradition means a lot of different things to different people.
To build tradition and a better base for tradition, IMO- would like to see several things-
I want the RENT to be a nasty place for visitors to come into but also want to build young fan loyalty:
I would like a tradition for the Rent to be so nasty, that no one wants to stay in the parking lot but everyone wants to be inside the Rent being nasty 's.

GAME DAY TRADITION needs A WILD PLACE with NOISE.
WE NEED more YOUNG FANS who can make the NOISE:
***Remember- If the seats are empty, it costs us nothing to put bodies in them......****

In addition to the Husky howling (see above), IMO...perhaps HOME GAME traditional annual days and games set aside every year to honor
the following groups building fan loyalty among the youngsters AND oldsters):
1) First Responder Day (Every uniformed firefighter, EMT, policeman) is offered a reduced ticket price and their children
are offered a ticket at a nominal price with a voucher for a hot dog and drink....kids are free with A HORN/NOISEMAKER -

2) Traditional Boy Scout Day (same pricing as above). GOAL IS 5,000 YOUNG CUB SCOUTS, BOY SCOUTS & Girl Scouts admitted free with a horn.
{obviously not a good fit for a "Michigan" type game}. If the seats are empty, it costs us nothing to put bodies in them......

3) Traditional CT High School Band Day - IMAGINE ANOTHER 1,000 HORNS AND DRUMS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DOGPOUND,
NOT TOO MENTION AN AWESOME HALFTIME SHOW WITH everyone ON THE FIELD.

4) Better traditional VETERANS DAY EXTRAVAGANZA with all Vets at a reduced price and children free with Horn/Noisemaker.

Especially for the Veterans and First Responders, an annual day to honor those who sacrifice for us and be with their kids at a phenomenal price...we can afford to do that. Everyone benefits.!!

Reaction Score
Diaco told a packed house about a couple of traditions he was going to change in order to create more energy

I know one new tradition that would keep fans from leaving 4th quarter...Sell Beer All Game Long !!!

Reaction Score

Love all of this. Every little bit of it. A lot of it seems so simple it's unbelievable it hasn't happened yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom