New High School Basketball League in January | The Boneyard

New High School Basketball League in January

Reaction Score
The "National Interscholastic Basketball League".

From Zagoria:

Montverde Academy (FL) and Oak Hill Academy (VA) are among the top independent schools that have formed the new 8-team National Interscholastic Basketball League.

The teams will play 12-14 games from early January through late February in a series of events across the nation. In addition to Montverde and Oak Hill, the other teams are Bishop Walsh (MD), Hamilton Heights (TN), La Lumiere (IN), Legacy Early College (S.C.), Sunrise Christian (KS) and Wasatch Academy (UT).

Montverde coach Kevin Boyle, who has coached six top-3 NBA Draft picks since 2011, was a major part of putting the league together, helping to coordinate the effort to get the coaches and heads of school connected. La Lumiere coach Pat Holmes handled the scheduling duties..

Games will take place at a number of national events, including the National Hoopfest (VA), Flyin’ to the Hoop (OH), Hoophall Classic (MA), Hoophall West (AZ) and the Metro Classic (N.J.).

The league will culminate in the Elite High School Basketball Conference Tournament in Evansville, IN March 11-13.

The league plans to undergo 13 rounds of COVID-19 testing every Monday beginning Dec. 18. Teams in the league will play non-conference games outside of the league as well.

“We are excited to play high-level games against the best high school teams in the country in this season of uncertainty,” legendary Oak Hill coach Steve Smith said.

Montverde is ranked No. 1 in several preseason polls, including the Ball is Life poll, with Sunrise Christian at No. 3, La Lumiere at 8, Wasatch at 11 and Oak Hill at 12.

Reaction Score
Wow. Great move. I wonder if IMG was asked. These are reliably excellent teams. Having a league with standings should only make them more attractive to top talent.

Reaction Score
I like this. I hope it works. Makes sense to me. I wish them well!

Reaction Score
The NCAA really should look into each of these schools to be sure they have actual classes. And not just some canned workbook nonsense.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
The NCAA really should look into each of these schools to be sure they have actual classes. And not just some canned workbook nonsense.
Like at UNC? Actually they didn't even have workbooks. Lol

Reaction Score

They are like the academies in Europe. School is secondary. Because we have the illusion of amateurism, they don't get the education they deserve. If you allowed NBA to develop, it would go pretty well.

Reaction Score
They are like the academies in Europe. School is secondary. Because we have the illusion of amateurism, they don't get the education they deserve. If you allowed NBA to develop, it would go pretty well.
Absolutely agree. This program is completely irresponsible. Kids will be traveling around the country doing some canned program that they will pretend is education. I’m guessing it will mostly be SAT/ ACT prep workbooks. Bishop Walsh used to be a legitimate educational institution but I’m betting that like a lot of Catholic high schools that lost their connection to the founding order, (the Christian Brothers left in 2011, I believe) they are basically doing anything for a buck these days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom