new hand checking rule.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

new hand checking rule....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am all for cutting out the Pitt/Duke style hand checking, but the main adjustment that players will do with these rules is to go fishing for foul calls by forcing contact with defenders then flopping. If they are going to enforce tighter defensive rules, they also need to stop rewarding offensive players who initiate contact for no purpose other than to draw a foul.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I am all for cutting out the Pitt/Duke style hand checking, but the main adjustment that players will do with these rules is to go fishing for foul calls by forcing contact with defenders then flopping. If they are going to enforce tighter defensive rules, they also need to stop rewarding offensive players who initiate contact for no purpose other than to draw a foul.

This! You can eliminate arm bars, two handed checks etc, but you have to allow a player like boat with their hands out to body up a guy and move his feet to cut off penetration. You can't let post players use their arm or elbow to hook around the baseline (Phil was called for it in exhibition but Mitchell was allowed to get away with it in the Maryland game). And you can't allow post players to shoulder into a guy's chest to back him under. Tightening up that part of the game means both sides of the ball.

What concerns me the most is in a sport when most top teams are separated by a few points, the increased volume of calls makes it much easier for a crooked zebra to influence the outcome of a game. Just call a BS tech and eat your whistle on one side of the floor and voila, you can erase a 17 point lead with a little help from an unfocused team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom